Vinyl, not bummed any more.

marknoir

Re: Vinyl, I’m bummed so far.
« Reply #100 on: 7 Feb 2013, 10:02 pm »
  To get back into vinyl after 25 years I picked up a Technics TT with a Shure M95HE cartridge which could  be the original cartridge as old as 20-30 years, I don't know. Also, to get me up and running I bought a DJpre2 phono preamp for $50.00 bucks. I hooked everything up to my sonic frontiers,audio research system and as soon as the stylus hit the album the sound was awful. Forward sounding, lacking in dynamics, low bass output, harsh at times, dull and uninviting.

I was planning on buying the Audio Technica 440MLa cartridge and a Vista or Jolida phono preamp but now I’m Leary of spending money on it only to be disappointed again. Have I screwed myself with my first impressions of vinyl being with an old cartridge and cheap phono preamp?   I’m not sure what to do at this point but I’m not willing to give up yet.

Steve

So let's see... You got one of the crappiest tables out there, with one of the crappiest cartridges, all probably in crappy shape to boot fro aging, and a crappy phono stage, then you run all the into a pretty high end system, and you expect it to sound like something? I am bummed...

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #101 on: 7 Feb 2013, 10:09 pm »
You're wasting your breath. He was told that on page one. I get the impression, from this and another thread, he's a hard headed fella.

Doc

WireNut

Re: Vinyl, I’m bummed No more.
« Reply #102 on: 7 Feb 2013, 11:15 pm »
 I made a mistake. I apologize. I had no experience with vinyl when I purchased that equipment. 
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2013, 07:52 am by WireNut »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #103 on: 7 Feb 2013, 11:21 pm »
Maybe keep it for a secondary system?
Be sure to get the new cartridge on there so it doesn't trash your albums.

JackD

« Reply #104 on: 7 Feb 2013, 11:35 pm »
Wirenut

If the AT-440ml you mentioned having after the Shure is good then you are fine with the cartridge for now.  If you want to try the Shure (more bass and mid-range) buy a JICO sourced replacement stylus. You just need to make sure you have the right Technics mat and use a shim between the cartridge and headshell to get the VTA level or slightly tail down.  If the ART sounds as bad as you say, not my experience, and you have tried toggling between the two capacitance settings then something is wrong with it.  While it is definately not "high end" it is servicable and should not sound how you describe if your VTA, Overhang (52MM) and VTF are correct.  Hope you are not just using the dial on the TT for VTF.  Maybe you should swap the ART out if under warranty.

Jack

Toaster

« Reply #105 on: 8 Feb 2013, 01:13 am »
I really don't want to beat this to death, but honestly, the 'D3 is never going to sound much good, irrespective of the cartridge, set up or phono stage. No doubt it'll sound significantly better than the initial try, but it will always seriously limit the potential of the sound from records. I've listened to, set up, repaired and modified a lot of good turntables in my time and worked in the trade for several years selling arms and cartridges. Turntables show the greatest qualitative differences of any hi-fi component, with the possible exception of loudspeakers.

*Scotty*

« Reply #106 on: 8 Feb 2013, 01:48 am »
The ultimate question is one of relative merit, not absolute perfection. What will it take for WireNut to be happy with the quality of vinyl replay? Perhaps the AT 150ML he has said he was purchasing and the Vista phono-stage will get the job done, only WireNut can answer this question. If the aforementioned combination does not the mustard cuttith then he may wind up going further down the rabbit hole.
Scotty

SET Man

« Reply #107 on: 8 Feb 2013, 02:11 am »
I made a mistake. I apologize. I had no experience with vinyl when I purchased that equipment.

Hey!

Apologize for what? It is part of the learning process. It is better than spend big bucks buy TT and cart... than screwed it up?

I got interested in vinyl back in the early '90s, i was in my early teens. My first TT ever was a $2 TT I picked up at a junk shop down in Chinatown here in NYC. Forgot the brand. I know the cart was dead, but everything else seems OK,so I went down to Stereo Exchnge... or was it J&R, anyway I picked $30 Ortofon cart. Had no idea or tools to set it up right but I got the whole thing working by ears and sight.

Well, it wasn't a good start but the seed was planted in my head. Not long after I was back for more with tools and more knowledge and got hooked on vinyl ever since. Would have been easier if there were Audio Circle back than to help me out a bit.

Looking back now it was quite a journey. Now my set up is much better than the $2 TT with $30 cart. And more importantly my music collection are now about 50% on LPs and I do enjoy it a lot. There is something special about playing my LPs through an all tubed system ,I just love it!

So, do give it a chance and see if it is worth it for you.  :D

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #108 on: 8 Feb 2013, 02:20 am »
Heck, I got interested in vinyl in the 60s when I found my mom's Chuck Berry 45s!
I must have been around 7 years old.  I still have the copy of Sgt. Pepper I was given in '67 for Christmas by my cousins. 
I'm afraid that's a little the worse for wear...

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #109 on: 8 Feb 2013, 02:54 am »
As a matter of fact I was enjoying it when I had it hooked up to the receiver. I was only disappointed when I hooked the TT and
DJpre2 phono stage up to my Sonic Frontiers, Audio Research system.  The Vinyl setup seems to be SCREAMING for me to install a graphic equalizer (UGH) with the controls in a "V" configuration.

Maybe you should get a new stylus for the Shure and put the table back on the receiver. Try again on your good system. Really, this is a bit much and from what you say, the table seems perfectly at home on the lesser system. With a new stylus you won't be tearing up your records and you can enjoy it while you put together a record player suitable for the better system.
neo

WireNut

« Reply #110 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:06 am »
Maybe you should get a new stylus for the Shure and put the table back on the receiver. Try again on your good system. Really, this is a bit much and from what you say, the table seems perfectly at home on the lesser system. With a new stylus you won't be tearing up your records and you can enjoy it while you put together a record player suitable for the better system.
neo

Yes, that's what I'm going to do. I'm very sorry if I offended anyone here, that was never my intention. I hate being so green on vinyl equipment. I'm learning a lot.
My sincere apologies.

Steve

« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2013, 07:51 am by WireNut »

roscoeiii

« Reply #111 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:31 am »
Yes, that's what I'm going to do. I'm very sorry if I offended anyone here, that was never my intention. I hate being so green on vinyl equipment. I'm learning a lot.
My sincere apologies.

Steve

No need to apologize. This is a fun thread, working through ways that a new analog set-up can be improved to approach the performance of an excellent digital set-up.

WireNut

« Reply #112 on: 8 Feb 2013, 07:47 am »
Thanks roscoeiii. That is my goal.

WireNut

« Reply #113 on: 8 Feb 2013, 07:48 am »
I think when I get in the new cartridge I'll be good to go.

WireNut

« Reply #114 on: 8 Feb 2013, 07:49 am »
Next well be the phono pre.

WireNut

« Reply #115 on: 8 Feb 2013, 07:49 am »
cant wait for my taxes to come in.

WireNut

« Reply #116 on: 8 Feb 2013, 07:53 am »
Boris has really done a good job on the new Vista mk2 phono pre.

WireNut

« Reply #117 on: 8 Feb 2013, 07:54 am »
I plan on ordering one in the next week or two.

WireNut

« Reply #118 on: 8 Feb 2013, 07:55 am »
should make a big difference.
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2013, 11:45 am by WireNut »

WireNut

« Reply #119 on: 8 Feb 2013, 09:11 am »
Some of the vinyl albums i pulled out of my closet after 25 years. 
I'm really excited about the James gang album. I forgot I had it.

« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2013, 12:41 pm by WireNut »