The ugliest looking piece of audio ever made?

Guy 13

The ugliest looking piece of audio ever made?
« on: 31 Oct 2012, 09:53 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.

What's the ugliest looking piece of audio ever made.

Name of manufacturer, model, year made and (Most important) picture.

I am sure some Audio Circle members,
can come up with something surprising.

Guy 13

Guy 13

Re: The ugliest looking piece of audio ever made?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:13 am »

What's the ugliest looking piece of audio ever made.

Name of manufacturer, model, year made and (Most important) picture.

I am sure some Audio Circle members,
can come up with something surprising.

Guy 13

Here is an ugly one for you.

Guy 13

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:36 pm »
I would say Geddes speakers.  Although I hear they sons very good, they look like big boxy PA speakers.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:38 pm »
Hey!

Actually I do like the look of that Heathkit... the dual tone, the chrome and angle. :D I think its represent the design of that era well. Wouldn't mind have that one right now.

Can't think of any that I would call "ugly" right now. I tend to remember only beautiful things   :lol:

Well, my friend.... "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2012, 04:21 pm »
I think that the Heathkit products were stunning compared to their competitor Eico.  However, talk about a great little amp... the Eico HF-12.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2012, 12:50 am »
Those Eico products are rather utilitarian looking but for sheer, unmitigated fugliness I would have to go with my beloved Stax Sigmas!

Sorry, ladies, I have no idea who the dashing male model is in the second photo but I'm sure he's taken.

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2012, 01:17 am »
I tried to find a picture of Ear Cups that were a fad in the 70's...they were worn like headphones and tried to replicate the sound of when you hand cupped your ears to enhance your hearing.   Not sure if that was the actual name of them....they were sort of a fad thing like the pet rock. 

Jim

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2012, 03:32 am »
Just about any Wilson Audio speaker

Think those Stax's have them beat though

coverto

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2012, 03:45 am »
I also must object to the dig against the Heathkit AA-151. The retro design is killer. I think of it as the '57 Chevy of integrated amps.  8)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2012, 04:06 am »
Hey!

Actually I do like the look of that Heathkit... the dual tone, the chrome and angle. :D I think its represent the design of that era well. Wouldn't mind have that one right now.

Buddy :thumb:

+1  :thumb:

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2012, 04:18 am »
...for sheer, unmitigated fugliness I would have to go with my beloved Stax Sigmas!

Gee Steve, I never thought of my SR Lambda Pro earspeakers as ugly. I can't remember if I bought them in 80 or 84 (almost certainly the latter) - I know I bought them in a little shop in Nashua, New Hampshire. Of course my Stax aren't as thick as yours :lol: - they still work very well (I had to replace the material covering the plastic beneath the earcups some years ago). I remember the meter on an M400t that I used to drive them would peak and it really didn't sound all that loud. I get them out every now and then. I really like them. They sound better these days with a much better amp, but that old Carver was interesting - if only it didn't have that motor-boating proclivity (had two of them that did it, so..).

I tried a google search for ugly speakers and decided that I'm pretty easy to please. If it makes music, I like it. I can't remember one single piece of audio gear that I've ever owned that I thought was ugly. Most of them actually bedazzled me to a degree. Somehow, I feel like this might be a safe place for such a confession. :wink:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2012, 07:07 pm »
I have to say those Stax's are pretty ugly.  I don't think this qualifies as THE ugliest, but the following Conrad Johnson amp I'm borrowing I think is pretty ugly, as honestly are many tube amps, mainly because of the exposed transformers.  Sounds beautiful though.  I "borrowed" the below photo out of laziness as the one I had basically looks the same:

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 1 Nov 2012, 07:15 pm »
What?  That tube amp looks cool!  It's true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #13 on: 1 Nov 2012, 07:33 pm »
Maybe beauty is in the EAR of the beholder!  :thumb:

The better it sounds, the better it looks.

Gene

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 1 Nov 2012, 07:39 pm »
Agreed!  I have to admit, however, that I like the looks of those big transformers on a tube amp.  Covering them up doesn't make them look any better.  I could live with ugly in every area except speakers.  Not sure if I could live with ugly speakers unless they sounded REALLY good. 

Cheers,

J

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #15 on: 1 Nov 2012, 07:53 pm »
I would say Geddes speakers.  Although I hear they sons very good, they look like big boxy PA speakers.

+1. Geddes should have designed the Abbeys as floorstanders. If the total cabinet volume didn't meet his model, he should have designed the lower part of the box so that it could be filled with ballast and have a drain plug near the bottom for ballast removal. Might not meet his pricing model though.   :icon_frown:

-Roy

jhm731

« Reply #16 on: 1 Nov 2012, 08:02 pm »

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 1 Nov 2012, 08:33 pm »
The lady in the picture REALLY seems to like that speaker.  The following subwoofers would compliment it nicely (two per speaker of course)!  Are there any photoshop wizzards who can help me out?

Or this set of Dual Subs!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #18 on: 1 Nov 2012, 08:53 pm »
Just about any Wilson Audio speaker

+1.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #19 on: 1 Nov 2012, 10:57 pm »
Jackman,
We're going for ugly audio, not erotic audio.
Shame on you.

I must admit, the Wilsons always make me think of municipal trash receptacles found outside of your local bus stop.