The ugliest looking piece of audio ever made?

Guy 13

Re: The ugliest looking piece of audio ever made?
« Reply #60 on: 2 Nov 2012, 02:48 pm »
Guy,
I'm sorry and meant no disrespect re. my comments. Your niece is a lovely girl and my comments were a crude attempt at humor regarding the shape of the speaker( which I did not submit).  I actual think they look good and compliment you on your workmanship.  I would have made the same comment if a similar shaped Theil models was pictured. 

So far, I could live with any of the designs featured in this thread.  The Geddes remind me of big PA speakers but if they sound as good as many say, they would have a welcome spot in my system, regardless of looks.  Hopefully the Linkwitz design is a prototype.  I'm sure some creative types could make it look cool.  Just don't put a round tip on it and expect me to not make snide comments.  I can't help it.

Cheers

Jack

Hi Jack and all Audio Circle members.

No problem,
lets put all our imagination
and energy at finding some more ugly looking stuff.

Guy 13

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: 2 Nov 2012, 02:57 pm »
The Geddes remind me of big PA speakers but if they sound as good as many say, they would have a welcome spot in my system, regardless of looks.
Sound good is a severe understatement.   :)

Ugly?  As its been said, in the eye of the beholder.  My wife was actually excited when they showed up compared to the other monsters I've had in my room.  She wondered why they were so small.   :lol:

Minn Mark

« Reply #62 on: 2 Nov 2012, 02:59 pm »
Found this link:

http://audiomatters.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-ugliest-audio-gear-money-can-buy.html

Must agree about the Merrill TT, also the Clearaudio Statement TT (ugly-IMHO).

:)

Mark

medium jim

« Reply #63 on: 2 Nov 2012, 03:14 pm »
But these are Green Mountains, no?

Yes they are GMA's....but not the ones I was thinking of...These are:

Same speaker dressed:

They were the new Continuum 2's released in 1999.   They were sublime sounding, I beleive released in 1999 or 2000 and were around $5000.00.

Jim

jackman

« Reply #64 on: 2 Nov 2012, 04:03 pm »
JT,
Yours actually look good.  Utilitarian, but not ugly. I've seen come that look more like PA systems.  Either way, I don't doubt their performance and that's the most important quality.

Also, those GMA speakers don't look bad.  No worse than any typical speaker.

medium jim

« Reply #65 on: 2 Nov 2012, 04:22 pm »
Jackman:

They look like a photo enlarger with the covers off....with the covers on, they were a bit veiled.   I'm still looking for the ear cups....

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #66 on: 2 Nov 2012, 04:34 pm »
Still trying to find the fad ear cup sound enhancers from the 1970's....they literally were a pair of cupped hands that you wore like headphones....but I did find these:

My sennheisers might have to go into retirement!

Jim

slc247

« Reply #67 on: 2 Nov 2012, 04:59 pm »

Still trying to find the fad ear cup sound enhancers from the 1970's....they literally were a pair of cupped hands that you wore like headphones....but I did find these:

I believe they were called "Serious Listeners", no luck finding an image.........

Jim
[/quote]

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:05 pm »
JT,
Yours actually look good.  Utilitarian, but not ugly. I've seen come that look more like PA systems.  Either way, I don't doubt their performance and that's the most important quality.
I wonder which ones they were then.  They all look like mine. 

WGH

« Reply #69 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:23 pm »
Years ago Sam Tellig reviewed the ear cups in Stereophile, the originals may have been made from leather but I read they never went into full scale production.

These days there are "Earglasses" which are made of polypropylene. Probably still not in production and are still ugly.

http://www.earglasses.com/

sts9fan

« Reply #70 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:29 pm »
I agree that the Salk SS10 and 12s are nasty.  The nice veeners are just lipstick on a pig. 
I generally find the over the top veeners to be jarring on the eye.  Everyone seems to love "waterfall bubinga" but to me its just gaudy in such large amounts.
Also

I also agree that Gedlee speakers are unattractive.

jackman

« Reply #71 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:33 pm »
I wonder which ones they were then.  They all look like mine.

Since you asked, I would say the best looking Geddes speakers are marginally acceptable from a looks standpoint.  There is nothing next to them to use as a reference with regard to size but the biggest issue I have with them has as much to do with size and workmanship than actual shape.  Although the shape is not particularly attractive.

Many Geddes speakers have DIY cabinets and some of the workmanship and finish work is sub-par, aesthetically.  Even the ones on the Geddes website have a homemade look I don't find sttractive, especially in their price range.  The large model looks like a huge PA speaker someone dragged I to their house, or maybe a mid sized refrigerator with speaker drivers in it.  Your speakers appear to have a satin finish which looks good. The shiny ones I've seen look particularly ugly, like someone took a rattle can and applied it to a PA speaker.

http://avforum.no/forum/hoyttalere/118594-high-end-satelitthoytalere-2.html

I'm sure they sound great, but this thread is about looks.  He big Geddes speakers might fit the decor in a frat house but I can't imagine them in a typical living room. 

Delacroix

« Reply #72 on: 2 Nov 2012, 07:35 pm »
Found this link:

http://audiomatters.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-ugliest-audio-gear-money-can-buy.html

Must agree about the Merrill TT, also the Clearaudio Statement TT (ugly-IMHO).

:)

Mark

Hey, that's my blog......I ran that entry a couple of weeks back for fun, and am enjoying some of the images here.....you're giving me some real inspiration :)

bregez

« Reply #73 on: 2 Nov 2012, 07:43 pm »
As I recall the "Dynasty Discolite" portable stereo from the 80's was quite a looker. 

Brad

persisting1

« Reply #74 on: 2 Nov 2012, 10:38 pm »
Hopefully the Linkwitz design is a prototype.

I agree. Wonder if it will have grills if it's the final design?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #75 on: 2 Nov 2012, 10:48 pm »
Around the time Roxy Music's Country Life and Queen's Sheer Heart Attack came out I had a set of white speakers which looked like mushrooms and were made out of plastic.  Can anyone find a picture of these aural warts?  They were about 3' high and I think the sound came out of the bottom.
They lasted about 3 days and then I bought some Large Advents which were pretty ugly after my dog hiked his leg on them about 14 times.

Wayner

« Reply #76 on: 2 Nov 2012, 10:53 pm »
If my dog did that, I'd let him out the back door (with my Winchester loaded) and would see how far he got........

:D

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #77 on: 2 Nov 2012, 11:00 pm »
My mom did something similar after he took a dump on her bed!
That was the last straw, poor crazy old Duke.
That dog was totally nuts but what can you do?

PRELUDE

« Reply #78 on: 2 Nov 2012, 11:17 pm »

I do not know the manufacture.Does anyone know it?I would like to know what was idea behind this design. :duh:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #79 on: 2 Nov 2012, 11:20 pm »
The idea seems to be a eskimo with coat...