Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

dminches

They are regulator tubes (13EM7,12EM7 and suitable subs.)

I don't know much about them.

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
Emission Labs has 1-yr warranty. My 300BXLS have been rock steady as have been two 5U4G. Had an issue with an earlier 45 but it got replaced under warranty and worked strong ever after.   :thumb:

talk2me

Emission Labs has 1-yr warranty. My 300BXLS have been rock steady as have been two 5U4G. Had an issue with an earlier 45 but it got replaced under warranty and worked strong ever after.   :thumb:

I am a big fan of your publication, Mr Ebaen. :thumb: 

What makes the Emissions Labs 5U$G so special, as opposed to say, Radio Vacuum RCAs?
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2013, 03:08 am by talk2me »

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
I've not done much rolling with rectifiers. I used to own Yamamoto SETs and in Japan Yamamoto is the importer for EML tubes. He recommended them so I bought a set of 45s, 300Bs and 5U4G from Jac in Germany  to run my Yammies with. I loved the sound and didn't bother to stress over what other tubes might sound like.  :oops:

dminches

I am a big fan of your publication, Mr Ebaen. :thumb: 

What makes the Emissions Labs 5U$G so special, as opposed to say, Radio Vacuum RCAs?

I really don't think the EML 5U4G is that special.  I think you can find old production 5U4Gs that sound just as good, if not better.  Try an old Sylvania or Tung-sol.

Maritan

EML 5U4G works fine, see here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright11/3.html  :thumb:

So... When do you think you'll complete the review? I know I'm sitting on pins and needles to hear what you have to say.  I'm sure others are too. :thumb:

ckunstadt

I really don't think the EML 5U4G is that special.  I think you can find old production 5U4Gs that sound just as good, if not better.  Try an old Sylvania or Tung-sol.

I agree. It's very pretty to look at but, for the price, you can buy a few different flavors of English-made, coke-bottle rectifiers (Mullard or Brimar) that sound at least AS good as the EML. I think they're better.
I have an old-style Tung Sol and it's not bad at all. Not my favorite. I think I have an old RCA and must have found it pretty forgettable.
btw: My experience is with a Woo Audio WA22 and ModWright LS100. Similar findings with rectifiers on each device.

MellowVelo

Hi Dan,

Any plan to still offer solid-state mods on the 105?

Freo-1

Hi Dan,

Any plan to still offer solid-state mods on the 105?

Honestly, I do not think the 105 would benifit all that much from a solid state mod.  I had the 83SE solid state mod, and the stock 105 is better than that.

JerryH

I had the SS mod on the 95 and it was really worthwhile. Of course the tube mod is better but even the SS was a significant upgrade. It made the 95 less edgy or sterile. Bass was more solid and refined too.
If you can't swing the tubes, the SS is a must have IMO

modwright

I have not planned to offer a SS mod for the 105, because it is so good stock!  If I had felt that the LPS to replace the SMPS made a big difference and was feasible, that would have been a major part of the SS mod.

I have not ruled it out, but do not have a design at the moment.

Thanks,

Dan W.

rlmacklin

My interest would be in the stereo tube mods,
plus SS mods to the remaining channels !

Cyberbod

I am using a fairly large Philips 5R4GYS to great results. It sticks out nice and proud without cutting. I am also using Psvane CV181-T11 in my Oppo 105.
I am using the same tube combination in my Oppo 95 unit. I ordered the new PS 9.9 and PsVane WE274b replica 1:1 rectifier tube to play with when the new PS arrives.

dminches

I will be using a USAF-596 in my 9.9 once I get it.

JG2

David,

What rectifier is a USAF (I assume United States Air Force) 596?

JG2

OK, I found some 596 posts on the headphone forums. With your VT-99's and a USAF-596 in the PS you are gonna have one Sci-Fi (looking) Hi-Fi!

Those headphone guys DO dig up some unusual tubes!

jfz

I have posted a follow-up on Audiogon, after receiving my modified Oppo 105 back from Modwright.  Thank you, Dan.  Simply put, this player is amazing!!

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1362197281&openflup&28&4#28

dminches

OK, I found some 596 posts on the headphone forums. With your VT-99's and a USAF-596 in the PS you are gonna have one Sci-Fi (looking) Hi-Fi!

Those headphone guys DO dig up some unusual tubes!

Yes they do!

ufokillerz

Does anyone with the modded oppo have a picture of how the PS 9.9 looks like with a larger hole up top for a larger rectifier? I started giving it some though and am wondering how it looks. I was told i can send my PS back at anytime to get the hole added in, but i wanted to see how that looks. Thanks!

Cyberbod

Does anyone with the modded oppo have a picture of how the PS 9.9 looks like with a larger hole up top for a larger rectifier? I started giving it some though and am wondering how it looks. I was told i can send my PS back at anytime to get the hole added in, but i wanted to see how that looks. Thanks!
There is a pic here http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright11/3.html