Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

MellowVelo

FYI.  I have spoken to someone on the alpha team that now has DSD files playing through the Oppo USB input (pre-beta firmware).  :)    So it's close.

Hi Ted, do you know if it's going to be possible to play DSD files from a USB flash drive?

Cyberbod

Could someone please check out how the new three tube PS sounds on a Modwright Oppo 95. Compared to the 105 with the same tubes and PS or just compared to the one tube PS in the 95. I'm strapped for cash and could probably spring for the $600.00\$500.00 upgrade to my 95 if its worth it. Thanks.  :?

roadkingraw

Please see my new post concerning this.
Randy

roadkingraw

Cyberbod

you can see it here.  very brief but to the point.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114833.msg1199056#msg1199056

Thanks Randy. Sounds like the PS 9.9 is a worthwhile upgrade. I'll be calling Kristin on Monday.  :lol: Would still like to hear from someone who actually owns the Modwright 105 and the 95 comparing the two with the new three tube PS.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2013, 08:37 pm by Cyberbod »

talk2me

PS 9.0 is the correct term. :wink:

JG2

Actually, Dan is calling the new PS 9.9!

talk2me

Actually, Dan is calling the new PS 9.9!

Then my bad, and I will have to ask Dan why my 1 week old face plate reads 9.0 :x

roadkingraw

You will need to look at the back of the Power supply.  The back of the unit should have a 9.9 on it.  Even my new one says 9.0 on the front.  9.9 just represents the upgrade.  Think of it like a car.  The Corvette has been around for a number of years and is now I believe a C7 model but it is still called a Corvette, not C7.  And when changes are made each year to the C7 model they do not call it C7.1 or c7.2 for each subsequent year.  It is still a Corvette C7, but you still know the difference on the inside.
Randy

dminches

For those of you who have the 9.9 PS, what tall/wide rectifiers are you using?  I am getting the 9.9 with top hole cut out to fit a tall tube.  I think I may get the widest opening since I want to use either an EML 5U4G or a 596 which requires adapter wires.

Brucemck

Is there any benefit to upgrading the clocks/oscillators at the same time as the other mods, or do the power supply mods make that not worthwhile?

Bump (again)

Most alternative modders also change out one or more of the clocks, and I'm trying to put that into perspective.

dminches

Why don't you call Modwright and ask them the question directly?  Dan doesn't always have the time to monitor the forums.

modwright

To clarify the PS 9.0 9.9 issues:

The model '9.0' will stand.  There will be a label on the back of the unit to indicate if it is a 9.9 revision.

Thank you.

Dan W.

modwright

In reply to the query about clock upgrades:

We did replace clocks in earlier Oppo models and I found that the clocking of the Sabre chip is unique and was more often than not, problematic rather than beneficial.  It is for this reason that I have left it alone.

The SABRE DAC chip has a dedicated clock/oscillator RIGHT at each DAC and I believe that its jitter levels are EXCEPTIONALLY low to begin with.  I do not hear the characteristic glare from the Oppo 105 that would indicate to me that Jitter is an issue.

Thanks,

Dan

JerryH

For those of you who have the 9.9 PS, what tall/wide rectifiers are you using?  I am getting the 9.9 with top hole cut out to fit a tall tube.  I think I may get the widest opening since I want to use either an EML 5U4G or a 596 which requires adapter wires.

Are you certain the EML can be used in the 9.9? I was using one in the 9.0 for the Oppo and it  blew fuses. I kept on using it because I had no other use for it and it sounded great. It died a few months later. Dan had warned me that it could be hard on the tube. If the mod allows that tube, that would be great and added incentive for me personally.

dminches

I asked Dan and he said 5U4Gs can be used in the 9.9.  Not sure why the fuses would be blown.  I can see the tube having a short life, but the fuse blowing is a mystery.

talk2me

You will need to look at the back of the Power supply.  The back of the unit should have a 9.9 on it.  Even my new one says 9.0 on the front.  9.9 just represents the upgrade.  Think of it like a car.  The Corvette has been around for a number of years and is now I believe a C7 model but it is still called a Corvette, not C7.  And when changes are made each year to the C7 model they do not call it C7.1 or c7.2 for each subsequent year.  It is still a Corvette C7, but you still know the difference on the inside.
Randy

I disagree. My old 1990 BMW 535i kept the same body style in 1995 for my 540. BMW changes the model name with change in model. More logical if you ask me. Just like my old Burmester MK3, after Burmester upgraded their MK2. Just my little opinion.

talk2me

I am using a fairly large Philips 5R4GYS to great results. It sticks out nice and proud without cutting. I am also using Psvane CV181-T11 in my Oppo 105.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2013, 07:23 pm by talk2me »

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant

JerryH

Thanks Srajan!
Really chomping at the bit now to get that power supply upgrade. After a premature failure of an EML, I have been a bit skittish. But the EML is like a girlfriend who screws you over but you love her still so much that you forget and go grovelling back. What are the other tubes used in the supply now? Looks like a substantial upgrade.