Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

jfz

I am very curious about what has happened to all the activity on this forum.  Has it gone somewhere else?  Has the passion for all things Modwright Oppo 105 waned signficantly?  As a very happy Modwright 105 owner, I am interested in connecting with others via these kinds of sites and forums.  Anyone?

roscoeiii

Well, the 105 still hasn't been out long. And this is a 15 page thread.

We'd love to hear your ongoing impressions with the unit!

Also, audio forums are slower in the summer it seems

modwright

We have remained quite busy filling orders for the 105 mod and have QUITE a number of happy customers.  I believe the total exceeds 100 now, for the year!

We are also offering a 20% discount on the mod as part of a LIMITED TIME summer sale!  July 8 - July 15!

Please also see the post and feedback from Infinity and Genesis Loudspeaker genius, Arnie Nudell!

Thanks,

Dan W.

ajayrav

Maybe it is because Modwright 105 owners are spending a lot of time listening to music.  I know I am...  That said, I do plan to write a detailed review after I've had sufficient time with it.  Initial impressions are VERY positive!

More later...

Ajay

jfz

Thank you for the responses.  I am loving my modded 105!  I’ve had it a few months, and I still marvel sometimes as I re-listen to my music collection.  If I could change one thing, it would be to make it ever-so-slightly “sweeter,” or “liquid,” or “analog sounding.”  Does anyone have suggestions for after-market tubes that might move it in that direction from the stock Harmonix tubes?

brgman

What tubes are you using jfz?

Jeffy

Thank you for the responses.  I am loving my modded 105!  I’ve had it a few months, and I still marvel sometimes as I re-listen to my music collection.  If I could change one thing, it would be to make it ever-so-slightly “sweeter,” or “liquid,” or “analog sounding.”  Does anyone have suggestions for after-market tubes that might move it in that direction from the stock Harmonix tubes?
  First of all you need to put at least 400 hours of playing on the cd player. The best tubes that are both clear and musical to me are as follows. I use Create Audio 5AR4, two Sylvania black plate coin base 13EM7. These 13EM7 are so much better than the Korean tubes supplied by Modright. You also want Tungsol black plate 6SN7 which will cost you 300 to 600 a pair. These will give you the natural liquidity that you are looking for. All these are new old stock tubes except for the Create Audio. Good Luck Jeff

dminches

Jeffy's suggestions are excellent ones.  There are also a ton of very good vintage 6SN7s that are much cheaper than the TS BGRPs which will give you a big bump in sound quality over the stock EHs.  Search for a 6SN7 thread either on here or head-fi.org.  The Modwright Oppo BDP-95 thread has good suggestions too.

jfz

Thank you Jeffy and dminches!

Maritan

Jfz - Dan himself recommends the Sophia Electric 6SN7 and the Mullard GZ34. The Sophias are supposed to be more "resolving, dynamic and detailed". The GZ34 from all accounts is supposed to add the touch of warmth you are seeking.

As everyone says all the time, everything depends on your system. If I had the money (and I don't because my ModWright Oppo 105 was just paid for and should ship this Friday :thumb: ), I would personally do the following: get a pair of well reviewed NOS 6SN7s, a pair of Sophia Electric 6SN7s, a Mullard GZ34 and a Create Audio 5AR4. As it stands, I'm going to run the stock tubes for a while and save up for the tubes mentioned above.

Jeffy - Would you be kind enough to share where you bought the Create Audio 5AR4 and the Sylvania coin base 13EM7? I have looked around a fair bit but I haven't found a source yet. You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

jfz

Thanks Maritan.  I don’t think it’s really a “touch of warmth” that I’m looking for.  I think it’s something more elusive, subtle, and indefinable.  “Liquid” does seem to fit fairly well, though. 

I too would like to know where to buy the suggested Create Audio 5AR4 and Sylvania coin base 13EM7.
John

SoCalWJS

Thanks Maritan.  I don’t think it’s really a “touch of warmth” that I’m looking for.  I think it’s something more elusive, subtle, and indefinable.  “Liquid” does seem to fit fairly well, though. 

I too would like to know where to buy the suggested Create Audio 5AR4 and Sylvania coin base 13EM7.
John

I googled the CA 5AR4 and could only find an EBay source in China.... :dunno:

DTB300

Jaguar Audio is the US Distributor for these tubes.   Create Audio/Synergy

jfz

What tubes are you using jfz?

I'm using the tubes that came with Dan's mod.  The output tubes are Electro-Harmonix.  I don't know what the power supply tubes are.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2013, 01:03 am by jfz »

Maritan

I believe the 5AR4 is a Sovtek and the 13EM7s are Samsung.

shahed

To all MW Oppo 105 owners - Can you please some more feedback regarding its performance? I like to know how it performs as a DAC. Any comparisons to the other mainstream audiophile dac would be very helpful.

I'll throw in some names - how does the MW Oppo 105 as a dac compares to Berkeley Alpha Dac 2, Weiss DAC 202, AMR DP 777, Lampizator Level 3/4, Anedio D2, Nad M51, Perfect WAV Dac II etc etc.

Hedge-Hog

Howdy,

Newbie question (prolly been asked over and over...sorry, if that's the case):  Where are people sourcing 13em7 tubes from?  Tubeworld only had 1 Sylvania coin base NOS 13em7 and I can't find any other place with them.  Also, are there any recommended 6F8G/6SN7 adapters...eBay has a few but I'm not sure if some are better than others.  One that I like are the Woo Audio ones but I'm not sure if it's still available.

Same question regarding the Tung Sol NOS 6F8G tubes...eBay the typical place to get these?

Last question:  For 6SN7 tubes, has anyone tried the Ming Da Meixing ones?  They sure look interesting.

Thx in advance,
-Hedwig

dminches

I am sure Woo's are fine.  You can also PM 2359glenn.  He made me my adapters.

Wig

You can get some 13EM7 from Brent Jesse

http://www.audiotubes.com/

Wig