Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

NutBuster

i know nothing about tubes

if i were to get a modwright bdp-105, where is a good place to start with tubes?

also i'm not sure if i missed it, are there any pictures available of the modwright bdp-105 with the external ps?
From Mr. Wright:
Recommended Tube Upgrades for the Oppo BDP-95 Mod:
•Output Tube: Sophia Electric 6SN7 – Galen Carol Audio
•Rectifier Tube: Mullard, Amperex or Phillips ‘GZ34’
Fr: BIG old me:
•Output Tube: NOS Sylvania "Chrome Top" 6SN7('s)
•Rectifier Tube: NOS Holland GZ34 (although I'm a fan of the black base for the $$$ over the metal base & many others prefer British valves [see above])

1st just listen w/the tubes that come w/the mod.
Enjoy & then start the craziness!!!

kzhtoo

How long is the break-in of Modwright 105? When I had my 95 (not Modwright modded), the break-in was up north of 500 hours. I'm now at a point where I cannot stand another long break-in (new speakers, dac, power receptacle and a powercord, none at the same time!) . If Modwright 105 is worth it though, I will still bite my lips and go through with it, but I'd like this piece of info before hand.

Thanks in advance.

dminches

500 hours?  That seems like a very long period of time.  Why do you think it took that long?  I don't think my 95 took more than 50 hours, at most.

jfz

How long is the break-in of Modwright 105? When I had my 95 (not Modwright modded), the break-in was up north of 500 hours. I'm now at a point where I cannot stand another long break-in (new speakers, dac, power receptacle and a powercord, none at the same time!) . If Modwright 105 is worth it though, I will still bite my lips and go through with it, but I'd like this piece of info before hand.

Thanks in advance.

See my link posted in this thread on Feb. 5th.  When you go to that thread on Audiogon, read the whole thing...well, at least the posts by jwm.  He talks about the new Modwright 105 on January 30, but if you read his previous posts I think it will help you assess his credibility.  I hope this helps.

Jeffy

If I said it took a long time to break in the 95 that is true. The new 105 sounds great out of the box and I am breaking it in as I listen. When I get 100 or more hours on it I will report back. What ever the reason is the new mod sounds way better out of the gate than the 95 did when new.

ckunstadt

i know nothing about tubes

if i were to get a modwright bdp-105, where is a good place to start with tubes?

also i'm not sure if i missed it, are there any pictures available of the modwright bdp-105 with the external ps?

One irritating thing I learned after I started buying and trying tubes, is that, for the MOST part, you get what you pay for. Many many audiophiles have sampled hundreds of tubes - especially the 6sn7 series - and have scored them, ranked them, written about them, probably painted pictures of them, etc.  I read lots of stuff about which tubes would sound best on my Woo Audio WA22. Even with everyone else's experience, I thought that MY system would be different in some way that would make it necessary for me to try some middle-ranked (less popular) tubes in order to find the perfect match. Well... after spending $1500 on tubes, I can tell you that for 6sn7 series tubes, Tung Sol Black Glass Round Plates, Sylvania Bad Boys, Ken Rads, Raytheons, maybe National Union, all sound top-notch. Different, but all very good. And they range from about $100 to $500 per pair. Unless you're really lucky, you won't find tubes that sound as good as these for $30. I kept trying and failing.
The most over-rated tube (I think) is the RCA gray glass. I hate it and they can be very expensive. I have another pair of cheap RCAs that sound small and scratchy.
I think my WA22 came with a pair of super-cheap GE tubes. They are terrible. I don't think I've read anything good about GE tubes. I wouldn't waste money there.
Another thing I learned was just because a tube looks (and reads) to be very similar to a high-dollar popular tube, it doesn't mean it will sound 'almost' as good. A true Sylvania Bad Boy has three hole in the plates. They sound incredibly smooth and detailed in the upper-end and have a really nice mid-range. The "same" tube with 2 holes in the plates sounds fine but not nearly as smooth or detailed. These are sometimes sold as "Bad Boys" but they are not, really.
Another general note: I think most inexpensive tubes, and a lot of pricey ones, tend to be light in the bass. I might recommend finding a counter to that signature and making your first NOS tube purchase some Ken Rads (black or clear glass doesn't matter ((that's what I've read - haven't tried black glass)). You can decide from there if you really require that much bottom end or if you can afford to lose a little for something with a more pronounced midrange or something - like some Sylvania 5962 Brown Base.
I have not dabbled in the current production tubes other than $15 Tung Sols. I can't say if $15 Sylvania Chrome domes sound better than the popular Chinese tubes. Many seem to think so.
Anyway. Hope that helps a little without being too confusing. Have a blast! I've brought some of my rectifier tubes into work for a photo-shoot and people can't get over how cool and crazy they look. I tell them I can't get over how we don't have current production tubes that sound nearly as good as tubes that are 70 years old!!
Buy a plastic camera case to hold all your new tubes!
Chris

kzhtoo

See my link posted in this thread on Feb. 5th.  When you go to that thread on Audiogon, read the whole thing...well, at least the posts by jwm.  He talks about the new Modwright 105 on January 30, but if you read his previous posts I think it will help you assess his credibility.  I hope this helps.

Thanks. I am familiar with jwm posts on A'gon. I myself didn't believe the 95 long break-in until I tried it myself. Although the final sound was quite acceptable the long break-in was one of the worst I ever experienced. :( It was last year and with 105 on the horizon then, I didn't keep the 95 very long. So...now I'm thinking either 1) buy a 105, try for awhile, send to Modwright - 2 possible break-in, or 2) keep the faith, have Oppo send a 105 to Modwright direct. Currently running Metrum Octave. Will Modwright 105 crash the Metrum as a standalone dac?

kzhtoo

If I said it took a long time to break in the 95 that is true. The new 105 sounds great out of the box and I am breaking it in as I listen. When I get 100 or more hours on it I will report back. What ever the reason is the new mod sounds way better out of the gate than the 95 did when new.

Just to make sure, yours is Modwright 105 and not just stock 105? Thanks for the info. I'll be following your findings for sure. :)

Brucemck

Is there any benefit to upgrading the clocks/oscillators at the same time as the other mods, or do the power supply mods make that not worthwhile?
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2013, 09:31 pm by Brucemck »

Jeffy

KZHTOO, you will not be disappointed in the Tube Modright modded 105. I would have Oppo sent the unit right to Dan and also have the Bybee rails installed. This unit will delight you right out of the box. This for whatever reason was not the case with the 95. This unit comes so close to the best in analog plus it has a USB input to act as a dac for high rez. music.

talk2me

KZHTOO, you will not be disappointed in the Tube Modright modded 105. I would have Oppo sent the unit right to Dan and also have the Bybee rails installed. This unit will delight you right out of the box. This for whatever reason was not the case with the 95. This unit comes so close to the best in analog plus it has a USB input to act as a dac for high rez. music.
+1. The 105 by Modwright w/music rails is state of the art.

kedoades

can the oppo 105 be hooked up direct to the amp

Big Red Machine

can the oppo 105 be hooked up direct to the amp

Yes, it has  volume control capability on the remote.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
FYI.  I have spoken to someone on the alpha team that now has DSD files playing through the Oppo USB input (pre-beta firmware).  :)    So it's close.

Jonathon Janusz

Maybe a dumb question, but does the USB input on these also act as an output?  Thinking on the ability to use this player also as a transport for ripping audio/video files?

kzhtoo

Thank you. This is very encouraging. Have you tried SPDIF input on your 105?

Brucemck

Is there any benefit to upgrading the clocks/oscillators at the same time as the other mods, or do the power supply mods make that not worthwhile?

Bump

kedoades

is anyone using there modright oppo 105 direct to the amp without preamp. If so, how does it sound

Phil A

is anyone using there modright oppo 105 direct to the amp without preamp. If so, how does it sound

See post number 98 - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110992.80

ckunstadt

See post number 98 - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110992.80

I remember reading that post from Dan and being pretty bummed. Since then, I have purchased a ModWright LS100 (preamp) and with my STOCK oppo 105, it sounds inarguably better with the preamp. It's the only preamp I own... but I would GUESS that most mid-level preamps would be superior to no preamp. The volume control alone made it worth the hassle (for me) but the dynamics are also much much better. I don't have immediate plans to have my 105 modded, but I am thinking about it. I want to read more responses / reviews.