Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

dminches

I now have about 30 hours of break in on my Modright Oppo 105. I can tell you that if it did not improve any more,  the sound I am getting now is much better than my old Modright Oppo 95. It is much more organic in the mids. The dynamics are startling. The noise floor is much quieter and what is most interesting is that the pace and rhythm is much better. You get much more involved in the music and the pace is much faster. The soundstage is bigger and more defined. It is much more transparent but also at the same time more musical. This folks is hard to do and the Modright 105 does it in spades. This player is killer and can compare to digital in the 40,000.00 price range. I just can not believe it boy Dan can hear. I'm like a little kid thanks Dan.

Were you able to do side by side tests or is this from memory?

Jeffy

Of course I still own the 95. By the way do you want to buy it?

dminches

No thanks.  Already have one of my own.

MellowVelo

Dan, will you be demoing your modded 105 at Axpona in March in Chicago? If so, I'll stop by for a listen.

talk2me

Just got my Modwright Oppo 105. Glorious, awesome and then some. Dan has outdid himself (again). And I was coming from a $18,000 Wadia. The human voice through my 105 gives me goosebumps. I will go in more detail when I listen more and it breaks into  my system (Venture speakers, Hegel H30 amp, Concert Fidelity preamp)

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
Hoping someone can put up a series of nice detailed photos soon too.  :)

dminches

Just got my Modwright Oppo 105. Glorious, awesome and then some. Dan has outdid himself (again). And I was coming from a $18,000 Wadia. The human voice through my 105 gives me goosebumps. I will go in more detail when I listen more and it breaks into  my system (Venture speakers, Hegel H30 amp, Concert Fidelity preamp)

What tubes are you using?

talk2me

What tubes are you using?

CBS-HYTRON 6SN7GT TUBES BOTH BLACK PLATE/Psvane Treasure CV181-T Mark II/Sylvania NOS 5AR4 Fatboy

Jeffy

Talk2me, I think the MSB stack at 50,000.00 may be better than Dan's new player, but I'm not sure. I would have to have both to compare. That is the only player that can compete which is amazing and especially the price. I still cannot believe how much better the 105 is. This folks is very close now to the best analog.

Freo-1

Talk2me, I think the MSB stack at 50,000.00 may be better than Dan's new player, but I'm not sure. I would have to have both to compare. That is the only player that can compete which is amazing and especially the price. I still cannot believe how much better the 105 is. This folks is very close now to the best analog.

Wait a tic.  Have you tried the 105 power supply with the 95?   

My guess is that the 95 would sound almost the same (to the point of being difficult to tell apart) with the upgraded PS.  The reason I say that is because when I was fortunate enough to obtain a Bendix Radio 5V4G rectifier tube with Sylvania 5692 tube combination, the 95 took a big step up in performance.

Dan is offering the 105 power supply as an upgrade for 95 owners as a 600.00 option.  May be well worth it.

ckunstadt

What's the approximate total height with tubes in?  Thanks.

talk2me

What's the approximate total height wi :wink:th tubes in?  Thanks.

The 105+ 2 inches. :wink:  Also depends on what tubes you use.

dminches

I am using a pair of 6F8Gs in my 95 and it is at least 3-4 inches.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
lol on the inches

ckunstadt

The 105+ 2 inches. :wink:  Also depends on what tubes you use.

Well, okay.  That helps. Thanks.

talk2me

Well, okay.  That helps. Thanks.

Really? Can't go to the Oppo website?

ckunstadt

I wasn't being sarcastic. I wanted to know how far the tubes stick out of the top of the 105. I already own one so I can simply add 2 inches with my mad math skills (and a ruler).
sorry. i guess

underdawg

• Industry Participant
I added socket savers to raise mine due to fat bottle 6sn7's, would barely fit in top, but with the savers now no issues.

JG2

The height of the Oppo 105 is 4 3/4" from the base to the top of the front faceplate. The stock EH 6SN7 adds aprox. 2" +/-

Using TSRP 6F8G tube (w/ adapter) adds aprox. 4 1/2" +/-

YMMV depending on what tubes you use so these are approximate heights.

ckunstadt

The height of the Oppo 105 is 4 3/4" from the base to the top of the front faceplate. The stock EH 6SN7 adds aprox. 2" +/-

Using TSRP 6F8G tube (w/ adapter) adds aprox. 4 1/2" +/-

YMMV depending on what tubes you use so these are approximate heights.

great. thanks.
So it's really just the base (of the tubes) that's below the top surface then.  That works. Just thinking about cabinetry.