Dspeaker Dual Core review

rodge827

Re: Dspeaker Dual Core review
« Reply #300 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:06 pm »
No problem running mine with a 12v dc battery power supply.
Though it does have 9vAC/12vDC on the back.

Chris

emaspac

« Reply #301 on: 20 Jun 2013, 09:29 am »
In the chip's datasheet I checked the operating temperature of VS1000 (GUI & USB chip).
It is [ -40 +85 C ]
In these days my listening room temperature is around 34C, with the tube full-amp up & running.
There is not cooling system in the device and I have no air conditioning installed.
Could be the case that 12V DC PSU raise even more the device internal temperature and an overheating microchip may halt itself, to prevent damage?

Guidof

« Reply #302 on: 20 Jun 2013, 05:26 pm »
You may have to send back the Dual Core for service, whether or not the PS was the culprit. I don't think high ambient temperature can cause the problems you are experiencing, though.

If you have a Volt meter, you may want to check that the PS outputs the correct 12V DC.

Guido F.

emaspac

« Reply #303 on: 22 Jun 2013, 05:03 pm »
Just to update about my issue.
It was due to the temperature.
I installed a portable air conditioning system and now the device works without any issues when the air conditioning is on.
I switched on the device at 2:00 PM, without air conditioning, and it freeze after 10 minutes if I navigate in the menu items.
Be carefull about your listening room temperature.

Guidof

« Reply #304 on: 22 Jun 2013, 05:52 pm »
Interesting! If this continues to be a problem with ambient temperature, you may have a defective unit, so sending it back for service may still be a good idea.

A portable air conditioner is bound to be noisy, certainly not something you would want in your listening room.

Guido F.

hawkeye99

« Reply #305 on: 10 Jul 2013, 01:15 am »
Is anybody having to convert to or from toslink to another type of digital cable for the Dual Core? How are you doing it? What kind of converter are you using ?

rodge827

« Reply #306 on: 10 Jul 2013, 01:38 am »
I'm using a MSB Digital Director to go from coaxial to toslink. MSB doesn't make them anymore, but they can be had on the used market for about $100.00. The Digital Director is 12v also and can be run on a battery ps or linear ps.

Inday makes a good one ($119.00) and can be found at Markertek along with some others depending on your budget and needs.

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Audio-Switchers/Inday/DA4X-R.xhtml

Here are a couple more:

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Audio-Switchers/Sescom/SES-TOS-SPDIF.xhtml

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Audio-Switchers/Radio-Design-Labs/HR-DSX4.xhtml

Also the Behringer SRC 2496 can be used as well to convert from coax to optical.

Chris

hawkeye99

« Reply #307 on: 10 Jul 2013, 10:21 pm »
Thanks Chris.

Robert.

Austin08

« Reply #308 on: 13 Jul 2013, 02:25 am »
Post edited.

I just purchased a used DC (2013 version) and decide to return it. Maybe I will try it another time when my finacial is allow.

Edited: decide to keep it.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2013, 02:47 am by Austin08 »

hawkeye99

« Reply #309 on: 10 Aug 2013, 02:24 am »
Everybody happy with the Dual Core? Anybody using the advance features? Anybody give up on it?....I'm still having fun with mine.

Guidof

« Reply #310 on: 12 Aug 2013, 11:31 pm »
Everybody happy with the Dual Core? Anybody using the advance features? Anybody give up on it?....I'm still having fun with mine.

In addition to calibration in the low frequency range, I'm using the parametric EQ, the high frequency tilt curves, and a mild compensation curve.

What advanced features do you have in mind?

Regards,

Guido F.

hawkeye99

« Reply #311 on: 12 Aug 2013, 11:42 pm »
Right now, in addition to the typical calibration I added a psycho-acoustic 3 kHz dip. I like the result.

rodge827

« Reply #312 on: 13 Aug 2013, 12:24 am »
Right now, in addition to the typical calibration I added a psycho-acoustic 3 kHz dip. I like the result.

This is what Dual Core is all about!
The darn thing is so powerful you can customize the sound you want in your room! 8)
Without the need to spend extra money on something that might improve the sound. :roll:
Do a calibration, mess around with the tilts, house curve, eq, and listen to how it sounds.
Not sure if you like what you did, save it, go to a different profile and try something else.
Toggle between up to 4 different profiles to settle on what sounds best! :D

Way cool! :thumb:

hawkeye99

« Reply #313 on: 3 Sep 2013, 09:00 pm »
When using a sub, in the manual it say to put your low-pass filter to max in order to by-pass it. So after the calibration would you leave it to max and does the DC set the low pass?

rodge827

« Reply #314 on: 3 Sep 2013, 09:25 pm »
When using a sub, in the manual it say to put your low-pass filter to max in order to by-pass it. So after the calibration would you leave it to max and does the DC set the low pass?

No.

After calibration you would adjust the sub amp filter for the best crossover point with your speakers.
Unless you are using the low-pass filter in the Dual Core and you would adjust it from there.

What is your speaker and sub set up 2.0,2.1,2.2 ?

Chris

hawkeye99

« Reply #315 on: 3 Sep 2013, 09:35 pm »
Thanks Chis. Right now 2.2. I've tried all the setting though because I started with 1 sub. I bought another last week and a bought 1 this week but I'm waiting for that to arrive. Lots of experimenting to come.  :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #316 on: 3 Sep 2013, 11:15 pm »
hawkeye99,

In 2.2 mode set the Dual Core to the 2.0 setting, it will "hear" your speakers as full range.
Listen to your speakers without calibration and do your best to find the crossover point with the subs.
Then run a calibration with the crossovers set to where you think they will sound best.
The Dual Core will make small adjustments to blend the subs with the speakers.
Listen and see what you think, and make adjustments accordingly.

Tim at Simplifi told me to do my 2.2 set up this way with great results.   

Guidof

« Reply #317 on: 4 Sep 2013, 01:23 am »
What rodge says. I used the same method with a 2.1 setup, but it will work the same for 2.2. If after calibration you need to change cross over or sub volume, do a new calibration after making those changes.

Best regards,

Guido F.

hawkeye99

« Reply #318 on: 4 Sep 2013, 08:23 am »
I'm going to try that. I'll have 3 sub though but that shouldn't matter.........I wonder in what situation you would want to use the 2.2 calibration?

Guidof

« Reply #319 on: 4 Sep 2013, 07:46 pm »
I'm going to try that. I'll have 3 sub though but that shouldn't matter.........I wonder in what situation you would want to use the 2.2 calibration?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question. If you have a 2.2 setup and one Dual Core, then choose typical calibration and choose 2.0 Stereo in the configuration screen. Same if you have a 2.3 setup, assuming all signals are going through ONE Dual Core -- either digital or analog signals, it doesn't matter which as the Dual Core processes everything digitally.

Regards,

Guido F.