The Truth About Mega Price Loudspeakers

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: The Truth About Mega Price Loudspeakers
« Reply #120 on: 24 Jul 2012, 03:33 pm »
I can get better quality with less coin by building my own.
www.troelsgravesen.dk
The good news is that you don't have to build your own as you know.

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=4060.msg53981#msg53981

JohnR

« Reply #121 on: 25 Jul 2012, 10:47 am »
That's Ralph Glasgal's Ambiophonics listening room.  Been in that room several times.  The ceiling is at least 30 feet high.

Thank you ltr and Scotty, I need to look into that more. Perhaps see if I can get/set up a miniAmbio. I know it won't compare to the system in the photo...

I used to think that my $250 (each) woofers were expensive. Not any more  :lol:

JBLMVBC

« Reply #122 on: 26 Jul 2012, 07:13 pm »
Enjoy this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxu2JJ2Dc7o&feature=relmfu
And the Watt/Puppys of this world can keep dreaming of ever of reaching such direct sound... :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #123 on: 26 Jul 2012, 08:11 pm »
Letitroll98, the speakers under discussion, if simply sold as pairs can't solve the problem. If they are fullrange, (ie. extension to 20Hz or better), the solution to the problem would be to include as part of the system, a delay processor and a pair of subs with the same extension.
Scotty

+1 (But I'd go with extension below the Schoeder Frequency, 100-150Hz depending on the room.  Big/expensive speakers are idols that are meant to be worshiped.  The best mega priced loudspeakers would be part of a "system" like Duke LeJeune's Planetarium Alpha or Beta Systems that use multiple subs.  And that's just addressing the bass.)

jhm731

« Reply #124 on: 26 Jul 2012, 09:11 pm »
Enjoy this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxu2JJ2Dc7o&feature=relmfu
And the Watt/Puppys of this world can keep dreaming of ever of reaching such direct sound... :wink:

I didn't know that Watt/Puppys or any speakers could dream.

JBLMVBC

« Reply #125 on: 26 Jul 2012, 10:01 pm »
Puppys can dream... woof, woof... :duh:

TONEPUB

« Reply #126 on: 26 Jul 2012, 10:19 pm »
Agreed.  I don't have enough hours in the day as it is.  And when you consider the thousands of hours that many people have spent on home-brewed projects, you do actually have a 100,000 dollar pair of speakers.  The only difference between them and a pair of Wilson X2's is that the Wilsons still have value on the used market.  Your DIY speakers are worth zero.

But if that's your idea of a good time, nothing wrong with that.

Not my cup of tea at all.

OzarkTom

« Reply #127 on: 26 Jul 2012, 10:44 pm »
Back in the 80's, the Wilson Watts used a $25 Audax dome tweeter with a nasty 17Khz peak that would run you out of the room, especially when powered by Krell. It was the same tweeter that Spica used on their $450 a pair TC-50's.

One of Wilson's engineers asked him if he heard it, and David Wilson said no.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #128 on: 26 Jul 2012, 10:55 pm »
Tweeters make excellent targets for skeet shooting.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #129 on: 26 Jul 2012, 10:56 pm »
Agreed.  I don't have enough hours in the day as it is.  And when you consider the thousands of hours that many people have spent on home-brewed projects, you do actually have a 100,000 dollar pair of speakers.  The only difference between them and a pair of Wilson X2's is that the Wilsons still have value on the used market.  Your DIY speakers are worth zero.

I supervised the building of hundreds of speaker projects, and I tell students up front that it is probably a 40 hour project- and that's on a two way system.  3 ways, line arrays, open baffle, all up the time commitment.  If anyone thinks that they are going to make a great speaker in anything less than 500 hours, they are probably fooling themselves- and great speakers by amateurs....it's like monkeys typing Shakespeare.

JBLMVBC

« Reply #130 on: 27 Jul 2012, 12:25 am »

Where are your pair of X2s? :lol:

PRELUDE

« Reply #131 on: 27 Jul 2012, 12:28 am »
Back in the 80's, the Wilson Watts used a $25 Audax dome tweeter with a nasty 17Khz peak that would run you out of the room, especially when powered by Krell. It was the same tweeter that Spica used on their $450 a pair TC-50's.

It did make me run for sure. :thumb:

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #132 on: 27 Jul 2012, 12:42 am »

Do androids dream of electric sheep...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #133 on: 27 Jul 2012, 12:44 am »
I supervised the building of hundreds of speaker projects, and I tell students up front that it is probably a 40 hour project- and that's on a two way system.  3 ways, line arrays, open baffle, all up the time commitment.  If anyone thinks that they are going to make a great speaker in anything less than 500 hours, they are probably fooling themselves- and great speakers by amateurs....it's like monkeys typing Shakespeare.
This seems biased against the amateurs.
If the speaker has no crossover, using a fullrange driver, it can be designed, constructed and adjusted in short time.

JohnR

« Reply #134 on: 27 Jul 2012, 12:55 am »
If anyone thinks that they are going to make a great speaker in anything less than 500 hours, they are probably fooling themselves- and great speakers by amateurs....it's like monkeys typing Shakespeare.

I agree on the hours, but not the last part. Amateurs are actually less constrained in some ways than professionals, and not subject to marketing, transport requirements, etc.

OzarkTom

« Reply #135 on: 27 Jul 2012, 01:04 am »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #136 on: 27 Jul 2012, 01:25 am »

I wasn't expecting to find a Philip K. Dick reference on this site - one of America's greatest (and craziest) writers.

Back to The Truth About Mega Price Loudspeakers...

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #137 on: 27 Jul 2012, 02:54 am »

I wonder where you heard that story, were you there?

The first Watt was $4400 pr. I never heard them.  The redesigned Watt ('80s) had an inverted dome. They image like 3D, if set up properly.   I don't have a problem with someone listening to chamber music on a pr of ESL-63, or a fullrange driver.  Any individuals' criteria for good speakers don't necessarily apply to everyone.
To each his own.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/477/index.html

OzarkTom

« Reply #138 on: 27 Jul 2012, 03:13 am »
I wonder where you heard that story, were you there?

The first Watt was $4400 pr. I never heard them.  The redesigned Watt ('80s) had an inverted dome. They image like 3D, if set up properly.   I don't have a problem with someone listening to chamber music on a pr of ESL-63, or a fullrange driver.  Any individuals' criteria for good speakers don't necessarily apply to everyone.
To each his own.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/477/index.html

The audio engineer that worked on that version told me. He was a mail-order customer of mine. I believe he worked on version 3. I don't remember for sure.

jhm731

« Reply #139 on: 27 Jul 2012, 03:28 am »

My iPhone woke me up last night because it was having a bad dream.

It thought I was going to return it for Blackberry,so I could make a call.

Here's a picture of DW discussing his latest speaker designs with FULLRANGEMAN. 8)