What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??

Early B.

What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??
« on: 26 Jun 2012, 06:32 pm »
The question always arises as to where your hard earned money can be best spent on your system. Care to share what components (not brands) you believe to have the most marketing hype and the biggest impact on your wallet?

OK, I'll go first.... preamps. Of course, a preamp can make a significant difference in sound, but I'm not sure there's a need to spend thousands of dollars on a component that is simply supposed to pass and attenuate the signal from the source to the amp without screwing it up. Many preamp designs create problems (i.e., cheap pots, noisy power supplies), then try to ameliorate them, and charge the consumer a premium to justify the value of the fixes. Heck, who needs a preamp anyway? Some integrated amps can sound just as good or better than comparable separates. 

fredgarvin

Re: What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2012, 06:36 pm »
It would have to be cables. Of all stripes.

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2012, 06:37 pm »
It would have to be cables. Of all stripes.

$20,000 Nordost. LOOL. And people actually pay that.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2012, 06:46 pm »
Care to share what components (not brands) you believe to have the most marketing hype and the biggest impact on your wallet?

$20,000 Nordost.

?

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2012, 06:48 pm »
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_3/nordost-tyr-cables-9-2007.html

"All of which leads me to Nordost Tyr. Until Nordost recently announced the arrival of their $14,000 Odin interconnects and $20,000 Odin speaker cables, Tyr occupied second place in a Nordost cable hierarchy crowned by Valhalla."

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2012, 06:58 pm »
So I guess someone couldn't afford a seat on Branson's rocketship and decided to go for the cheaper Intergalactic Wastebin instead...    :scratch:

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:10 pm »
The question always arises as to where your hard earned money can be best spent on your system. Care to share what components (not brands) you believe to have the most marketing hype and the biggest impact on your wallet?

OK, I'll go first.... preamps. Of course, a preamp can make a significant difference in sound, but I'm not sure there's a need to spend thousands of dollars on a component that is simply supposed to pass and attenuate the signal from the source to the amp without screwing it up. Many preamp designs create problems (i.e., cheap pots, noisy power supplies), then try to ameliorate them, and charge the consumer a premium to justify the value of the fixes. Heck, who needs a preamp anyway? Some integrated amps can sound just as good or better than comparable separates.

I'll keep my preamp.  Haven't heard a passive yet that sounds as good. Sorry.

The cable thing is kind of wacky, but for me its a lot of the tweaks. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:14 pm »
I don't think $20,000 cables are a fair comparison because the vast majority do not buy them.  They serve the wants and needs of those for whom cost is not a limiting factor.  Keep in mind also these kinds of cables are assembled with a lot of labor which goes into the cost.  They are not just churned out of a factory in 1000' rolls so they do not fit that kind of pricing model.

I would say the biggest rip off are all-in-one stereo systems. 

HT receivers too are a rip off because they make too many compromises that ultimately ruin the sound.

Everything low-fi is a rip off to me.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:33 pm »
I don't think $20,000 cables are a fair comparison because the vast majority do not buy them.  They serve the wants and needs of those for whom cost is not a limiting factor.  Keep in mind also these kinds of cables are assembled with a lot of labor which goes into the cost.  They are not just churned out of a factory in 1000' rolls so they do not fit that kind of pricing model.

I would say the biggest rip off are all-in-one stereo systems. 

HT receivers too are a rip off because they make too many compromises that ultimately ruin the sound.

Everything low-fi is a rip off to me.

Oh really? It's not what I understand. I vote cables and ICs

Doc

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:36 pm »
Lovingly hand woven for extra sq...

chrisby

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:37 pm »
Oh yeah,  these threads always go well

maybe should be subtitled - what was your own most expensive disappointment? 

chrisby

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:38 pm »
Lovingly hand woven for extra sq...

what,  couldn't quite finish the thought without snorting out your coffee?

doorman

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:01 pm »
Well, one could always pay big $$$'s for "high-end" fuses---
don

wushuliu

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:11 pm »
what was your own most expensive disappointment?

Time wasted on dead-end threads and weeding through the same debates again and again just to find a nugget of wisdom. Seriously.

Airborn

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:14 pm »
Any takers on how long until this thread hits the bin? I say 3 pages or less.   :icon_twisted:  Seriously, why even start threads like this here? :duh:

fredgarvin

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:18 pm »

I think we had that thread last year. :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:21 pm »

My first wife.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:22 pm »
Time wasted on dead-end threads and weeding through the same debates again and again just to find a nugget of wisdom. Seriously.

Why don't we all agree on Monster Cable and wrap up this thread?   :icon_twisted: :lol:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #18 on: 26 Jun 2012, 09:11 pm »
There ought to be a forum here for those of us who believe in physics and psychology. Being censored and being told I can't call a spade a spade is NOT why I spent the best years of my life serving my country.

Doc

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jun 2012, 09:14 pm »
There ought to be a forum here for those of us who believe in physics and psychology. Being censored and being told I can't call a spade a spade is NOT why I spent the best years of my life serving my country.

Doc

Really now, this thread is a rallying cry for censorship?...

Emphasis on 'believe'. Yeah I agree, you guys should have your own playground - as long as you promise to stay there.