Newbie from the asylum

medium jim

Newbie from the asylum
« on: 29 Feb 2012, 03:52 am »
Hi Everyone:

I was a regular poster over at the Planar Asylum, but it is getting too zany over there and I hear this is a good place to hang out. 

I'm a bottlehead who loves his Magnepan 2.5rt's that I restored and drive them with a pair of Marantz 9 VAC Reissues, with a 1961 McIntosh MX-110 Pre/Tuner and a Ah Tjoeb CDP and a pair of B&W subs.

I love my system and does all I could ever want, except for getting live rock concert spl's which if I need, I use a BGW 500D amp that is built in the 70's and is actually a very decent sounding amp, except for the annoying fan that can only be heard between songs.

I'm not into mods to Magnepan's other than upgraded passive X/O's as I like what they do out of the box. 

The jumping dialogue box is annoying!

Jim

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Newbie from the asylum
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2012, 05:47 am »
Hi Everyone:

I was a regular poster over at the Planar Asylum, but it is getting too zany over there and I hear this is a good place to hang out. 

The jumping dialogue box is annoying!

Jim

Welcome

Zany is good way to describe some of what goes over there...but then, it is the Asylum.

I found I can de-jumperize the box by pulling the bottom down with mouse so it creates a bigger window.

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2012, 08:03 am »
 I can't stand that forum, it's so clunky and hard to navigate. Just ugly. I've never seen a clunkier forum.

I pretty much scoured it to find Magnestand reviews and haven't been back since. I like reading about Maggies, but that place takes all the fun out of it.

BruceSB

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2012, 08:22 am »
Hi Jim
I find this a nice place to be.
Over at the asylum I am BruceS, here I am BruceSB (two names but one person!).
I think that you will find it interesting here.
You can look through the old posts but it seems to me that we don't quite talk about the same thing here.
The moderator here is particularly nice (but if I say that too much I think he gets embarrassed! - but I only say it because its true!!!!).
I think that things are more relaxed and a little less abrasive here.
I hope you feel at home.
Welcome.
Bruce

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Feb 2012, 10:47 am »
I'm actually very ornery but I have stopped beating my wife.
Now she beats me - go figure.
Audio Circle as a whole is a good site with lots of very knowledgeable people who will help you out if need be.
Welcome to the Planar Circle.

Davey

« Reply #5 on: 29 Feb 2012, 01:47 pm »
Jim,

Good to see you over here.

Dave.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #6 on: 29 Feb 2012, 02:16 pm »
Welcome Jim

Chris Adams

« Reply #7 on: 29 Feb 2012, 03:01 pm »
Hi Jim,

Welcome!

Just caught the last 'go round' over at AA. Too bad.

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 29 Feb 2012, 04:19 pm »
Chris:

I feel that there was some collateral damages and that there will more coming over here to explore the waters. 

Jim

MaggiesAndCats

« Reply #9 on: 29 Feb 2012, 05:05 pm »
Yes, time to spend more time here...

Regards,

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 29 Feb 2012, 07:37 pm »
Lol  :lol: may I ask what happened that was so bad?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 29 Feb 2012, 09:50 pm »
What happens on AA should stay on AA.
Hi, I'm Steve and I'm a Maggieholic, it all started innocently enough with an How Can You Lose introductory offer on a set of MMGs...

MaggiesAndCats

« Reply #12 on: 29 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm »
What happens on AA should stay on AA

Exactly.

There's a lot to be learned from some very smart people there on all things Maggie.  I'll visit both places.

Regards,

Steve

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 29 Feb 2012, 10:57 pm »
And it's best not to bring another site's problems over to here.
There was some sort of ruckus and you can read about it over on AA if you're so inclined.
It's none of my affair so I think I'll torture the wife by making her listen to MMGs placed at unconventional angles.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #14 on: 29 Feb 2012, 10:59 pm »
Hey Jim,

I'm looking for a fresh start in a pleasant place as well.

I have landed: Feb. 29, 2012. (seemed like the perfect day to take a leap)  :lol:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2012, 12:04 am »
And it's best not to bring another site's problems over to here.
There was some sort of ruckus and you can read about it over on AA if you're so inclined.
It's none of my affair so I think I'll torture the wife by making her listen to MMGs placed at unconventional angles.

Ah, you've been reading my thread (I'm guessing).  Hmm, is it dirty laundry to hijack an AC thread with another AC thread?

I did read some of the aftermath posts on AA since this thread sparked my curiosity, I can't avoid rubbernecking.  Staying away from comments about other sites, I'll just say that ever since I came over to AC it's been a breath of fresh air.  Not that there aren't any disagreements ever, but the general level of respect for one another is better than almost any forum I've participated in, certainly the best in audio forums.  I hope m-jim, MaggiesAndCats, and Wazoo if he comes over, will enjoy their time here.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2012, 12:25 am »
The legendary Wazoo appears to be none other than Kevin360.
The world needs more Zappa fans, I always say.
That reminds me, in case you haven't seen it, Gail Zappa sez:

http://www.zappa.com/gzsez/questions/re-vinyl-releases/

which is great news for us vinyl lovers.
Indeed I have been reading your thread, Letitroll98.  I know that Magnepan have tried it in the past but they didn't offer any additional comments.  I wonder if electrostats would produce the same results?
I'm afraid that I didn't get a chance to play with the MMGs as Lynda had surgery recently and took to bed right after dinner.
She's a tough one but recuperation takes a bit. 
There's always tomorrow.

The quality of the Circle is a reflection of the members who make it what it is so if things go all to hell it's AJ Zepp's fault as it was all his idea!
For the new members, the philosophy of this Circle is really simple: we're here because this is our hobby and it's our hobby because we enjoy it. 
That seems to be the philosophy of the entire site, actually.

medium jim

« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2012, 01:30 am »
Hey Jim,

I'm looking for a fresh start in a pleasant place as well.

I have landed: Feb. 29, 2012. (seemed like the perfect day to take a leap)  :lol:

Kevin:

Man, it's good to hear from you and I agree, a fresh start!  Let the AA suffer a dose of Chunga's Revenge!

Jim

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:11 am »
Welcome, Jimbo.  I'm over at AA often.  It's as trip over there, innit.  Guys over here are no less audio/music philes, some movie action, too.  They're just more civil.  Feels more like a community.

medium jim

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:14 am »
Jim:

Too much bird walking and bickering on the AA, but I don't want to drag it here and maybe I shouldn't have said anything...

Jim