Newbie from the asylum

satie

Re: Newbie from the asylum
« Reply #60 on: 30 Mar 2012, 01:37 am »
Bruce and Pryso, There are no small rooms, only untreated lazy ones.

Just wait till you hear my T-IVs triamped in the WC....

So long as you don't touch your speakers with your feet while in your listening seat, you have a fit. The rest is room treatment, and you don't really need as much as you might think.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #61 on: 30 Mar 2012, 03:12 am »
And fear not Pryso, no one over here even cares if you had your Maggies gunned or not.  If you did, kewl, they look nice, and if you love 'em stock, that's kewl too.  Posting here is like skiing Keystone (out west) or Stratton (back east), it's a smooth cruz dude, nothing radical, just enjoy.

Pryso

« Reply #62 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:24 pm »
Bruce,

"what I take to be your room size (14.5 feet by 9 feet)"

Sorry but my attempt with humor may have been too subtle.  My reference was to my computer screen being a confessional, thus the mention of 14.5" x 9".

I live in a condo townhouse and my living room is 20' x 17' x 11'.  The 17' width is an average since one side wall is straight while the opposite wall is broken up with a closet, stair case enclosure, and fireplace.  It is a difficult room because of this lack of symmetry.  The result is the right speaker is placed close to the wall while the left speaker is nearly in the middle of the room (width wise).  For whatever reasons, this seems to cause more problems with my Gunned 1.6s than I've experienced with previous speakers.  Fortunately I have expectations of moving in the near future and hope for a better room then.

Concerning modified versus stock I won't be able to comment.  I had heard 1.6s previously but I bought these used and had them shipped directly to PG.  That was not a totally "blind" purchase since I did own MG-1s many years ago, have heard numerous Maggie systems through the years, and fortunately had the chance to audition a pair of Gunned 1.6s before committing to my own.

Anyway, thanks for all the words of welcome.

"Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?"*

Pryso
* previous tag line on AA 

neolith

« Reply #63 on: 30 Mar 2012, 09:29 pm »
Hey Jim,
I decided to join you. Going to keep the same moniker (neolith).

bmurphy

« Reply #64 on: 30 Mar 2012, 10:16 pm »
Wow, lot of familiar names I recognize from (mostly) lurking over at AA for years. I'm looking forward to lurking over here!

medium jim

« Reply #65 on: 30 Mar 2012, 11:56 pm »
Hi Neo:

Great!  For the most part, it a good place to hang and share information and learn a few new things! 

Jim

K-wey

« Reply #66 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:40 am »
Yet another migrant from the Planar Asylum here. Same handle.

I only just joined the planar club in January 2012; after a year of looking, I found a clean used pair of Maggie 3.6Rs locally and am enjoying them hugely. Now I'm pestering the PA regulars with newbie questions about proper amplification for them.

I'm a grizzled veteran of guitar-n-amp forums and boards, and am all too familiar with the strangely vehement online disagreements that sometimes explode over not very much at all.

So here we all are; thanks for having me. (And if you have questions on tubular guitar amps, I'm your guy!)

=K

bmurphy

« Reply #67 on: 31 Mar 2012, 11:01 am »

I'm a grizzled veteran of guitar-n-amp forums and boards, and am all too familiar with the strangely vehement online disagreements that sometimes explode over not very much at all.

Not to get too off topic but are you on the FDP?

medium jim

« Reply #68 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:46 pm »
k-wey

Tell me about it, I belong to too many guitar related sites and there can be some unbelievable carp going on, and then there is the personal hate that can manifest its ugly head.  A lot of it is because of the anonymity that forums provide.  Written words can be more impactful that spoken as the inflection or body language doesn't translate to written and many times what is merely innocent becomes incendiary.

This forum seems to have Facilitator/Moderators that police and deal with issues, before they fester into brew ha ha's. 

Jim

Davey

« Reply #69 on: 31 Mar 2012, 05:52 pm »
Neo,

Good to see you over here.

Dave.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #70 on: 31 Mar 2012, 07:19 pm »
Satie: “So long as you don't touch your speakers with your feet while in your listening seat, you have a fit.” I am living this with my MMG/REL hybrids right now – in a bedroom. It's a one person setup that's nearfield in the extreme, but it works brilliantly! I'm driving them with a Marantz PM-11S1 – a sweet 'little' integrated (power specifications: 100W into 8 ohms, 200W into 4 ohms) that I can touch with my feet. The evenness of the bass is phenomenal. The placement is radically unbalanced in terms of reflection (at one end, across the long wall – the left speaker is a mere 10” from the larger CD rack (which consumes the majority of that wall, but zero space from 3' down to the floor)), but it doesn't seem to matter. The weird thing is that I sometimes perceive sounds as originating behind me on the left (close) side, but I've only noticed it in a few spots – wrote it down, but can't find it. :duh:

Pryso – Sadly, it's a Sears poncho. Your confession is noted, but I see no reason why your having gunned maggies should bias anyone's opinion of your contributions here. I'd rather not say anything on the topic in this venue, but my issue with PG does not extend to his customers - nor to his craftsmanship, which I greatly admire and deeply respect. If they fit my needs, I'd buy what you bought – and then alter the XO (but I'd still consider the entire expenditure to be a bargain).  I had a different idea that had been rattling around in my head for a few years, so I built my own. The downside is that I can't favorably compare the level of execution of my project with what he produces. I've never seen a pair that he built which I didn't love – I'm sure yours are beautiful and well worth the expense.  :thumb:

Jim – That bird perched atop Frank's head was a member of the Zappa menagerie. I think that's Bird Reynolds. He met with an untimely demise – injured by a raccoon brought home for a visit and finished off in the middle of the night by a cat that managed to get a paw into the cage where Mr. Reynolds was recuperating.  :(

It's nice to see the growing list of members – Hey Neo! :D

K-wey

« Reply #71 on: 4 Apr 2012, 09:15 pm »
Not to get too off topic but are you on the FDP?

No, I'm on The Gear Page mainly, and some others as well. I appreciate that TGP is well and firmly moderated. Sadly, it seems to be needed at times.

Planar content: I blew out the ribbon tweeter on one of the 3.6Rs last weekend, as well as tweet and mid fuses, while playing at some volume. Talked to the helpful lady at Magnepan today, and they're shipping me a new tweeter strip.

One helpful suggestion back at the PA was to run the 3.6Rs with a 'real' audio amp instead of a rack PA power amp. I think this is probably good advice, and I was looking at audio amps anyway. Off to the Emporium ...!

=K