Re: Newbie from the asylum
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:27 am »
Welcome, Kevin and Jim!

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #21 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:30 am »
Jim,

Yeah, I think it best not to look in the rear view mirror right now. I wish the PA well, but I'm looking forward to what this place has to offer. Actually, right this minute, I'm looking forward to being done preparing the kitchen for new countertops - an even bigger PITA since I'm having to be surgical about removing the old ones (reworking some of the cabinetry too). I sat down for a breath of fresh air - the vacuum gets most of the dust, but that smell is heavy on my nose.

I have to admit, however, that your Chunga comment got me thinking of a slightly different reference - 2nd track on 'Sheik Yourbouti' ;-) (That's enough of that.)

TitaniumTroy

« Reply #22 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:34 am »
Welcome Medium Jim, I have the same screename over at the Asylum. Plus some other places like the Audio Annex (refugees from the S&V website, due to lack of admn. support) AVS, and the What's Best Forum.

Glad to see Wazoo made it over too, 0pps I mean Kevin360 :thumb:

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #23 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:44 am »
I'm here. It's my birthday too.
(You know what I mean.)

I considered being Chief (Bromden) - anybody get the reference?

Let's be kind to the PA, though. That place meant a lot to me, but it's a bit like the dog you get to replace the one that died - just like that, a new best friend.  :wink:

medium jim

« Reply #24 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:59 am »
Kevin:

One of Ken Kesey's best characters!  I agree that we need to keep it real over here! Maybe JBen, Satie and a few others will migrate over here.

Jim

P.S. Happy B'day!!! :green:

satie

« Reply #25 on: 1 Mar 2012, 06:18 am »
Happy to post here too, but I don't intend to leave Mart alone on the MUG. Besides, since the explosive posts are largely gone in short order, there is tons of good stuff (and some bad) there and people go there to ask the questions, announce their epiphanies and discoveries after having gone through the archive. So I will continue as before and visit here too.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #26 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:45 pm »
Satie,

As I said, that place meant a lot to me - a great resource and many truly wonderful people. There can be no question, however, that a cancer is growing which needs serious attention. I keep getting asylum emails of unpleasant posts by one particular individual - gotta contact Mart again. Rod has yet to reply to the email I sent him. I find it quite peculiar how many 'glitches' there had been with my account in the last 6 months, or so - peculiarities are still occurring even though I no longer even have an account.

I know it may look like my exit was whiny, but that wasn't the intention. I want things better for the members still there. I don't think things were going to change as they were - there needed to be a serious push. If the level of discourse rises (and remains), then I shall have been a catalyst for good.

Keep up the good work, my friend. (...and after the fire, a still, small voice...)

There's no lacking of information here. I have already culled some great data on DACs, although I'm still quite interested in the Bryston player(USB) and DAC combo. I have an X350 to sell that would go pretty far towards covering the pair. I have become enamored with diskless music listening.

Davey

« Reply #27 on: 1 Mar 2012, 03:20 pm »
Gents,

AudioCircle has its share of characters too.  But, on the whole, it's a decent forum.

The best thing about this place is...that it's logically segregated.  The "M"anufacturers have their own "circles" and can control the content with impunity.  Those circles are like echo-chambers where everyone can tell everyone want they want to hear, and the Owner can promote himself or his products.  :)  Even though they control content in their areas, they're not allowed to hide behind an anonymous moniker like some other online forums.

BUT, there are "generic" areas (like this one) that are moderated by an enthusiastic "outsider" which have good potential for meaningful discussion 'outside' of the crazy commercial end of the audio hifi industry.

However, any forum has the potential to be overrun by fanboys or folks with agendas or various other people that can bring the conversation down.

Hopefully that will not become commonplace here.

Cheers,

Dave.

medium jim

« Reply #28 on: 1 Mar 2012, 03:51 pm »
Dave:

And that is why in the end this forum will survive and thrive!  As some of you that know me from the AA, I served on the 2009/2010 Los Angeles County Civil Grand Jury, one of the most rewarding things I ever did.  We had a couple in our group of 23 who came in with agenda's and were summarily shot down by the rest of the group. 

There is a difference between an agenda and passion, too many times the distinction is clouded though.  We had many a heated discussion and or debate that led to the writing of our final report and in the end, 23 unique and from varied backgrounds came together and many a lifetime friendship was forged.

I used to say, "There's a University in Diversity!", and hope that can be applied here as well.

I'm not the engineer type or DIY'er, so don't expect earth shattering idea's from me, rather I'm a guy with a good sense of logic and based on conductive and inductive reasoning.  I have much more to learn and figure out than the most of you guys and welcome that opportunity, not to say that I'm not going to offer what I've learned or what insights I may have.

From what little social intercourse I've had, I can tell that it is much more civil and yet earnest discussions still take place.

I've learned a hell of a lot more from my mistakes than from my successes!

Jim

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #29 on: 1 Mar 2012, 03:57 pm »
The look and feel of this forum is more like the automotive enthusiast site of which I'm a member (s2ki.com), except that the actual posting process here is more refined. The general tone, that I've found so far, 'feels' nice. I even found some very polite disagreements regarding music taste - great to see differences being discussed respectfully. 'Characters' are ubiquitous; I'm not that naive.

...and Jim, (a belated) Happy 'Birthday' right back at ya!

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #30 on: 1 Mar 2012, 04:00 pm »
Hello to Kevin and Jim... and any others new to AC.

I used to be a fairly frequent visitor to the Asylum (my moniker Krikor is the same).  It remains a great source of technical info and answers for me, not mention occasionally entertaining to watch from the sidelines.  More recently the Circle has become my primary  hangout and I'm glad there's now a dedicated area for Planars.

Cheers to Steven for getting it going!

ske

« Reply #31 on: 2 Mar 2012, 02:49 pm »
I'm another Circle newbie from the Asylum.
I've been into home audio since the Pro-Logic days.  And my next project is going to be poly-cyclindrical deflectors behind the 1.7s.

Emotiva XPA-2 (Main)
Emotiva XPA-3 (Center, Rear)
Emotiva UPA-2 (House)
Emotiva ERC-2
Yamaha RX-V800
Magnepan 1.7 (Main)
Klipsh RC-35 (Center)
Klipsch SS.5 (Rear)
Miller & Kreisel V-75(Front)
Klipsch SW-8(Rear)
Mits WS-55809
Panasonic DMP-BD85

medium jim

« Reply #32 on: 3 Mar 2012, 03:07 am »
 :) the more the merrier.

Jim

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #33 on: 3 Mar 2012, 03:22 am »
Ske,
Tell me more about this project, please.

fmrnykr

« Reply #34 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:57 am »
I've been lurking for a while and thought it time to join in.

I'm using 1.6QRs for stereo paired with MMGs for the rear and a pair of RS Optimus Pro LS5s for center channel.  A pair of Velodyne HGS 15s helps the bottom end.

My planar fix began with a pair of Acoustat Model 4s, which I still have.  1 of the transformers needs to see the doctor, so I'm in need of the schematics for said model 121-2.

I hope I’ll be able to contribute some, but mainly I'll be in the sponge mode.

Bob

ske

« Reply #35 on: 3 Mar 2012, 05:20 pm »
Ske,
Tell me more about this project, please.
Will do a little later.

ske

« Reply #36 on: 3 Mar 2012, 09:58 pm »
Hey Steve,

I can only get the 1.7s 30" from the front wall, and the edge is only about a foot from the side wall.  So I use the stock resistors and Rear Wave Attenuators.  But there's no escaping the fact that the rear wave is bouncing back at me too soon and direct, and it adds a harsh edge to music.
Being in school and, I'm on a tight budget, the poly-cylindrical is a great option.  It will scatter the rear wave, as well as absorb some as a resonating trap.  I've done alot of looking around on the web, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on specific designs except the larger and deeper it is, the lower the frequencies it can absorb.
I've seen them open ended and enclosed.  You can simply bend a piece of masonite between a frame, or nail the masonite to curved pieces of plywood to make the curve.
I'm leaning towards bending a sample piece of masonite, tracing the curve, and cutting that out of plywood to form either end.  But still catch the edges against a frame on the sides, use caulking all around, fill it with insulation, and attach masonite to the back.  I may or may not add a thin layer of foam to the outside.  I'll try it with and without…
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2012, 02:24 am by ske »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #37 on: 3 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm »
Hey Jim,

I'm looking for a fresh start in a pleasant place as well.

You've come to the right place.  I had a role in a pretty big pissing contest over there, and make no apologies.  Nuttin' wrong with the occasional good fight, but this is where I hang out 90% of the time.

Yeah, this place is far more civil.  Great bunch of folks here, but let's not forget all of JohnR's hard work is setting a high behavioral standard here.   :thumb: :bowdown:

Now, why he tolerates me, Bob In ST Louis, and all the other GAS rowdies, I'll never know.  Still a great place!   :lol:

'brick

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #38 on: 4 Mar 2012, 12:06 am »
Every website reflects the personality of the owner so I think that JohnR must be a gentleman. 
I'd like to thank him for putting this site together.  Out of all the non brand-specific sites, I think that AudioCircle is the most evenly balanced one. 

josh358

« Reply #39 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:20 am »
Hey Steve,

I can only get the 1.7s 30" from the front wall, and the edge is only about a foot from the side wall.  So I use the stock resistors and Rear Wave Attenuators.  But there's no escaping the fact that the rear wave is bouncing back at me too soon and direct, and it adds a harsh edge to music.
Being in school and, I'm on a tight budget, the poly-cylindrical is a great option.  It will scatter the rear wave, as well as absorb some as a resonating trap.  I've done alot of looking around on the web, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on specific designs except the larger and deeper it is, the lower the frequencies it can absorb.
I've seen them open ended and enclosed.  You can simply bend a piece of masonite between a frame, or nail the masonite to curved pieces of plywood to make the curve.
I'm leaning towards bending a sample piece of masonite, tracing the curve, and cutting that out of plywood to form either end.  But still catch the edges against a frame on the sides, use caulking all around, fill it with insulation, and attach masonite to the back.  I may or may not add a thin layer of foam to the outside.  I'll try it with and without…

I guess my question is why a polycylindrical diffuser rather than a QRD? Seeing as you only have 30" to work with and a QRD is thinner. You can make a QRD diffuser for virtually nothing out of insulating foam from Home Depot. (Didn't we discuss this once before?)