Newbie from the asylum

medium jim

Re: Newbie from the asylum
« Reply #40 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:29 am »
Josh:

My 2.5's are only 40 " off the front walls and I made a pair of panels that have acoustic foam on them and it did the trick big time.  I also have a flat-panel in the middle of the 2.5's that I put a big piece of black felt material over to also help the diffusion.

The center got deeper and stronger.

Jim

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #41 on: 4 Mar 2012, 10:46 am »
Your attention, please:
We are to Welcome the new members, not give them grief.
Please remember that.

A few years back I was part of a site that suffered a melt down due to some unpleasantness and like Kevin, I led to charge to my new happy humping grounds.
It wasn't much fun but it all worked out.
Thank you,
Steve Ford

rw@cn

« Reply #42 on: 4 Mar 2012, 03:11 pm »
Your attention, please:
We are to Welcome the new members, not give them grief.
Please remember that.

A few years back I was part of a site that suffered a melt down due to some unpleasantness and like Kevin, I led to charge to my new happy humping grounds.
It wasn't much fun but it all worked out.
Thank you,
Steve Ford

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I visit the Asylum planar section everyday and have seen the occaisional bloodshed. I would hope that those refugees  :lol: will be kind to us as well.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:44 pm »
I've been witness to the carnage myself. 
The horror...

Seriously, I never could understand why anything could grow heated over stereo gear.  It's just a hobby.

medium jim

« Reply #44 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:52 pm »
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I visit the Asylum planar section everyday and have seen the occaisional bloodshed. I would hope that those refugees  :lol: will be kind to us as well.

Some of us "Refugees (not me) have a lot to contribute and will be very civil given that chance.  Their loss will be the Planar Circles gain 8)

Jim

Sarchi

« Reply #45 on: 4 Mar 2012, 05:19 pm »
And it's best not to bring another site's problems over to here.
There was some sort of ruckus and you can read about it over on AA if you're so inclined.
It's none of my affair so I think I'll torture the wife by making her listen to MMGs placed at unconventional angles.

No idea who was right/wrong/etc, but I think the gist of what can be learned is that passions can run high and good moderating is sometimes needed.  I hope this AC board remains what it is, there's enough bs in my life and I don't need any more of it when I'm looking for info about my speakers.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #46 on: 4 Mar 2012, 05:40 pm »
You've come to the right place.  I had a role in a pretty big pissing contest over there, and make no apologies....

'brick

Hey 'brick,

Trust me; I understand (and neither do I), but I'd much rather enjoy my Internet activity. I really like this stuff, but I'm not exactly surrounded by others who are so inclined. So, I seek community with other nutters in a forum - with community being the operative word.

I have a bit of a bent on science - almost as enamored with science as with music (and I find the intersection of the two absolutely delicious). As this thread is entitled 'newbie from the asylum' (should be newbies  :wink:), an introduction of the new players on this stage is probably beneficial. It is with that in mind that I must warn you that I may bring up the topic of perception now and then - not to be confrontational, but in an effort to remain grounded.

Once upon a time, I was getting a bit swept up in (fill in the blank), and Davey provided a needed reminder for me. I hereby thank him for that. His comment was neither personal, nor was it inflammatory - just a healthy dollop of cold fact. Facts are great things and there are some members here who provide a solid technical foundation to the discussions. It's great to see that occur without escalating conflict.

One of my favorite authors is Stephen Jay Gould - love the topic of natural history, love the essay form, and love his way with words...and I miss him dearly (even though I never met him). He teaches us to cherish diversity. There is diversity here. Each of us has a unique history, so our present situations are not identical. There is no reason to anticipate perfect agreement on every topic, but there is every reason to hope those disagreements can be negotiated with mutual respect.

Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to know a bit more about your method of copying $100 bills :lol:! I am looking forward to reading your report on the 20.1s in a couple of weeks. Either fortunately, or unfortunately (can't really decide), they are physically too big for my room - designed it around 3.6s and their big brothers are about an inch too tall. I went with 3.7s - love 'em.

Kev

Davey

« Reply #47 on: 4 Mar 2012, 05:43 pm »
The passion "transition" occurs when it's no longer hobbyists discussing back and forth, but rather when it's involving someone with a commercial interest.  When there's a perception (or an actual impact) by someone who's worried about the business aspect and "putting food on the table," that's when you can really see a person's true character emerge.  I can somewhat understand that dynamic, but it's still no reason to knee-jerk and treat hobbyist's (who are potential customers by the way) with the disdain shown by some.

On the other hand, there are some members on AA (and here on AC) who are commercially driven AND are excellent contributors.

Cheers,

Dave.

medium jim

« Reply #48 on: 4 Mar 2012, 06:02 pm »
Kevin/Davey:

I wish I had the ability to express in words the way both of you do. 

To everyone, I'm sort of a Howard Cosell type of person, "I call it as I see it!". With that, I have so much to absorb and learn, at the same time, I have learned a little in my 55 years.

Facts are facts, yet there is still a subjective factor that can and will override. The hardest thing to do is not to impose what you like upon someone else without sounding arrogant or presumptuous.

I'm truly glad that this forum exists and hope I both learn and impart knowledge.

Jim

jimdgoulding

« Reply #49 on: 4 Mar 2012, 07:09 pm »
Yeah, our preferences become out pets, or vice-versa.  Kinda human, I suppose.  But, when you're really moved by something, your cup runeth over.  Personally, I like hearing about those kinda things.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #50 on: 4 Mar 2012, 07:10 pm »
Hey 'brick,

Trust me; I understand (and neither do I), but I'd much rather enjoy my Internet activity. I really like this stuff, but I'm not exactly surrounded by others who are so inclined. So, I seek community with other nutters in a forum - with community being the operative word.

Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to know a bit more about your method of copying $100 bills :lol:! I am looking forward to reading your report on the 20.1s in a couple of weeks. Either fortunately, or unfortunately (can't really decide), they are physically too big for my room - designed it around 3.6s and their big brothers are about an inch too tall. I went with 3.7s - love 'em.

Kev

Will do, Kev!
Last week I scored five RCA LSCs at Goodwill, and am sitting here listening in awe on my 1.6s!  Simply magical!  My Moscode 300 is out for a tuneup, and the Parasound 1000a has been moved from sub duty to the mains, and the system sounds GREAT!.  Can't wait 'til I get my record cleaning machine back from being tricked out.  I'm told with the new Formica laminate my LPs will sound SO much better!    :lol:

grantv

• http://www.myesound.com
« Reply #51 on: 12 Mar 2012, 04:30 pm »
Nice to see some of you guys from PA over here. Guess I'll have a new stomping ground to visit. I'll still be over at PA, but it's a bit volatile there at times. :)

medium jim

« Reply #52 on: 12 Mar 2012, 10:01 pm »
Nice to see some of you guys from PA over here. Guess I'll have a new stomping ground to visit. I'll still be over at PA, but it's a bit volatile there at times. :)

It's getting better all the time 8) 

Jim

Pryso

« Reply #53 on: 29 Mar 2012, 05:46 pm »
Hi all,

Gee, this confessional booth (screen) is kinda small (mine is only 14.5" x 9").  I too came over from PA.  I didn't post often there but I read quite a bit.  I am "M3 lover" on AA, but that confused too many people thinking of cars or cameras, so I revert to an old nickname here.

I began in this hobby in the '60s while in college when I built some Dynakits.  That wasn't too bad until the early '70s when I became infected by reading, and then subscribing to, some of the "underground" magazines.  The typical symptom was a bad case of changeitis.  With speakers alone, I must have owned at least 20 models over the next 15 years or so.  That included a few planars, first a pair of MG-1s, then later Acoustat 2+2 and M-L CLS.  I eventually settled down with a pair of Duntech Princesses that I lived with for 19 years.  But retirement, with a reduced budget and eventual move (those Duntechs were 6' tall and weighed 180 pounds each) to a different home, caused me to rethink what I wanted from my music system, starting with speakers.  That lead me to consider Maggies once again and do a bit of research, including at PA.  There I discovered PG and his Magnestand mods.

So by admitting this up front, I hope it will not prejudice anyone against whatever I might contribute here at the Planar Circle.  I bought a pair of 1.6s and had Peter do his full mods.  That was both a rewarding and slightly frustrating experience, something I may discuss more at a later date.  For now I'm still burning in the new caps (about 200 hours so I'm getting close) and experimenting with placement and amplification.

I look forward to reading PC for both education and entertainment.  Hopefully I may also be able to add something constructive from time to time.

And yes, count me in with the Zappa fans.

Pryso

medium jim

« Reply #54 on: 29 Mar 2012, 10:54 pm »
Call any vegetable and the chances are good the vegetable will respond...a rutabaga...

Jim

BruceSB

« Reply #55 on: 30 Mar 2012, 12:42 am »
Hi Pryso
Great to have you here.
I noticed with great interest what I take to be your room size (14.5 feet by 9 feet).
My room is 12.7 feet by 10.2 feet (by 7.9 feet high).
It seems to me that either there are not many of us with small rooms or, maybe those with small rooms don't really want to say so!
My main wall has windows with very heavy curtains all across the whole wall.
The back wall has the door, my equipment rack and a small book cabinet in which I keep most of my CDs & SACDs.
I am planning to put a bigish sound trap on the back wall, and, when I eventually replace my Spectra 22s with five full range electrostats, I plan to put sound absorbing panels behind the rear side panels.
That's me.
I would be interested to hear what you have done with your room (& what plans, if any, you have for the future).
Welcome again, this is a nice place to be.
Regards
Bruce

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 30 Mar 2012, 12:44 am »
Crap, Thunderbrick's birdie migrated over to this thread.
Oh well, welcome.

medium jim

« Reply #57 on: 30 Mar 2012, 01:11 am »
Steve:

The sacrelige, wait until Kevin stumbles upon your post :roll:  Just know it will not be pretty :o

Jim

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 30 Mar 2012, 01:24 am »
I believe that this is an actual photo - not photoshopped.
Enough silliness for one day, alarm goes off at 5:30 AM for me.

medium jim

« Reply #59 on: 30 Mar 2012, 01:30 am »
Say goodnight Dick....