What Power Cord are you using with the BDP1?

werd

Re: What Power Cord are you using with the BDP1?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2012, 04:23 pm »
And you hear a difference using the Harmonix with the BDP1 as opposed to the standard Bryston power cord?

Yes, its one of those pc's that can make your dac/bdp sound better or worse depending on the dac. A poor cd source will ultimately sound high pitched or trebled saturated. You put this cord on it and it will just power that poor quality or emphasize it more. With the bdp or bda that cord gives you lots high energy but on the bdp it works nice since the bdp doesn't contaminate the soundstage with noise and high energy clanging.

So what you get is really nice leading and trailing edges that are sharp and poignant. When you get a source piece like the bdp/bda you get clean powered instruments and with that cord you get all the energy in the transients and air around it.

Its really nice with big amps like the 14B. Since the layering is competantly powered. The instruments appear and disappear layered and precise while maintaining prat.

The orig cord works but every thing becomes a bit more hazy and its starts to wear away at that effect. Its more treble hashy.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #21 on: 8 Mar 2012, 12:34 am »
YES :thumb: :thumb:

james

Notice 2 thumbs above - I will now be hung by them!

James, you probably will, but unjustly so. Bryston has the engineering experience and know-how to build great products. Why in heavens name would it use power cords that give those products less than their optimal performance?

At the risk of joining you in having to be hung by my thumbs, it just don't get it.

Dave

NMG

« Reply #22 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:50 pm »
Two simple, mutually exclusive answers, DaveNote:

Either:

James honestly believes the PC will make no audible difference on the BDP-1; or,

It is a cost issue. Components are designed and built to a price point, and a high end PC would too dramatically increase the cost of the unit.

Not for me to ascribe motives or values. All I know is that I have rarely if ever come across a music component where a high end PC does not improve SQ over stock cord. Which is not to say the component does not sound very good with stock cord; it is a matter of degree, sometimes a small degree.

I think BDP-1 users are depriving themselves if they do not at least try a PC from a company that specializes in cables and PC's.

Neal
Neal

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #23 on: 8 Mar 2012, 05:43 pm »
Two simple, mutually exclusive answers, DaveNote:

Either:

James honestly believes the PC will make no audible difference on the BDP-1; or,

It is a cost issue. Components are designed and built to a price point, and a high end PC would too dramatically increase the cost of the unit.

Not for me to ascribe motives or values. All I know is that I have rarely if ever come across a music component where a high end PC does not improve SQ over stock cord. Which is not to say the component does not sound very good with stock cord; it is a matter of degree, sometimes a small degree.

I think BDP-1 users are depriving themselves if they do not at least try a PC from a company that specializes in cables and PC's.

Neal
Neal

Thanks, Neal. In another thread (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104337.0) this highly contentious issue is being debated. I think the folks who have made the argument (as James has) that what one person hears can't be gainsaid by another is the reasonable guide.

There once was a time that I would have taken you up on your suggestion, but there are two reasons that I am reluctant.

First, I am one of those who has not had the experience of hearing improvements owning to changes in cabling sufficient to justify the money I have paid. To be sure, power cords may be different, but my experience makes me a little more than hesitant to go down this path.

Second, if I were tempted to be more adventuresome, given the audio market where I live, arranging to demo power cord(s) on my system would involve a lot of hassle and perhaps money that I am too lazy and penny pinching at the moment to attempt.

But market power cords work for you and, sincerely, I am happy for you.

Dave
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2012, 08:57 pm by DaveNote »

jjc1

« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2012, 08:50 pm »
Last night I connected the BDP1 with the Pangea AC-14SE Power Cable. I haven't had much listening time but the first impression was Wow! To my ears and brain there is a definite improvement over the stock Bryston cord. Instruments are much more true to what they should sound like. The bass is deeper and  more delineated. And the sound seems more relaxed.

I know the critics are going to say it's what I expected to hear and it's only my imagination. Actually, I was expecting to hear no improvement. (That's my nature, you know, the glass is half empty). And what I heard is from a $45 PC, not a $500 or $1000 model. Can't imagine the improvement with a super cable. Or maybe not?  Maybe Pangea really makes great products at a redicously low price point.

Anyway, I plan to enjoy many hours listening to the BDP1 with the new PC. Just another little tweek to an already great product, just another epiphany with the BDP1!

NMG

« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2012, 02:51 pm »
I think it is well-established in audiophile circles that an upgraded PC will make an audible difference, more often than not, an audible improvement. There still is debate over how much greater improvement a $1500 PC  over a $100 PC.

I began with PC's some 7 or 8 years ago when it was basically Shunyata, Electraglide and Elrod and I was as skeptical as anyone could be. I quickly became a believer. The ears don't lie!

Neal

AudioLifer

« Reply #26 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:41 pm »
I agree with Neal, and with all those who hear a difference with a power cable (or ic, or speaker cable, etc...)

I think any audiophile, i.e. someone who's interested in products that deliver their music in the best possible sound, knows that cables make a difference, especially as experience in listening develops.

I'm always mystified by people on audiophile websites (implying they're audiophiles) who claim to hear no difference between junk cabling and audiophile cabling. Really?

I use a Lessloss power cable on my BDP-1 and am very pleased with the results. But this topic is a toughy, because there are a lot of good cables out there.

Cheers, Robert

Lissnr

« Reply #27 on: 17 Mar 2012, 12:03 am »
Both Neal and Robert are absolutely correct. Please re-read what they said again... there is NO debate about whether aftermarket power cords can and most often do, make significant improvements in a system over stock cords..."Ears don't lie" is e perfect quote. The cost/performance difference between a $100 and a $1500 cable CAN be debated and a lot depends on the sophistication and resolving power of the specific system but compared to stock...there is absolutely positively no room for debate on this subject what-so-ever... aftermarket power cords do make obvious improvements over stock issue ones. And you can do it all inexpensively by mail with return satisfaction guaranteed with many many aftermarket companies so there's really no excuse not to try (unless your mailbox is too small for the package!).
Listen to Nike "Just do it", you'll never look back.
Thank us later, "You're welcome"...(in advance).
Happy Lissn'n

ronman

« Reply #28 on: 11 May 2012, 10:47 pm »
I use a furutech power cable feeding an isotec sigmas power conditioner, then furutech power cables to each component. All the plugs on the cables were rodium plated, which I buffed off using a dremel. As I had identical spare cables with the rodium plating still on the plugs I had a few people join me for a listening session. I preferred the rodium removed off all the plugs. There was a bit more more detail and clarity. The rodium plating made the music (in this room and this sound system) sound a bit harsh.  Want to try those silver Kimber power cables some time.

adprom

« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2012, 06:51 am »
I think it is well-established in audiophile circles that an upgraded PC will make an audible difference, more often than not, an audible improvement. There still is debate over how much greater improvement a $1500 PC  over a $100 PC.

It is well established in homeopathy circles that diluting something will give it a stronger effect. Science also has no bearing within that area...

Sasha

« Reply #30 on: 14 May 2012, 12:05 pm »
It is well established in homeopathy circles that diluting something will give it a stronger effect. Science also has no bearing within that area...
It may be “established” in homeopathy circles, in the same manner that the healing power of dried bat droppings is well “established” in some other circles, but it does not prove its validity or change its fundamental nature, the practice of deceit aimed at vulnerable and desperate people.

terrycym

« Reply #31 on: 14 May 2012, 12:11 pm »
Placebos sometimes have healing qualities too

NMG

« Reply #32 on: 14 May 2012, 02:43 pm »
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet

Just because you cannot (yet) measure it does not mean it does not make a difference.

Neal :roll:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 14 May 2012, 02:57 pm »
 Well here we go again. If one is unwilling to learn with open eyes and respect others findings what is the point of posting in this thread ?
   I guess Bryston is selling an upgraded cord just to make more money. NOT !! I do not think so. It improves the sound of the gear they sell or they would not offer it.  Same for the Torus power conditioner.
    If one has nothing offer other than snide remarks why post here ??

charles

Landgreen

« Reply #34 on: 14 May 2012, 03:57 pm »
It was recommended last year that the Shunyata Venom 3 power cord would appreciably improve the W4S DAC2, which was already very good. I bought it, tried it and agreed with the notable improvement in clarity and definition so now just use the Venom 3s for my audio equipment, including the BDP1. I haven't really tried the BDP1 with the stock cord so am not offering an A/B comparison that way but assume the benefits afforded the W4S would also apply to other components. If you buy 3 Venom 3s at once there is a discount.
FWIW

adprom

« Reply #35 on: 15 May 2012, 07:19 am »
Well here we go again. If one is unwilling to learn with open eyes and respect others findings what is the point of posting in this thread ?
   I guess Bryston is selling an upgraded cord just to make more money. NOT !! I do not think so. It improves the sound of the gear they sell or they would not offer it.  Same for the Torus power conditioner.

Bryston do not sell an aftermarket power cable - I quote James Tanner's answer to the question "What's the Bryston view of different power cords? I mention this because looking on the Bryston web site, in the section where they list cables, they don't list mains leads. So do Bryston believe all you need is the lead that comes in the box?" - which was YES   :thumb: :thumb:

So you are incorrect their claiming that bryston are selling it.

It is ironic to make the claim that people are "unwilling to learn with open eyes" when it is those with the beliefs who are the exact ones willing to ignore all scientific method, knowledge and engineering which goes into a product. I am willing to use all resources available to test and measure differences and explain what can cause them - including the placebo effect which is proven to have a huge impact on psychoacoustics.

We are not talking about a power conditioner here, but a bit of copper between a power point and a device which converts a sine wave power supply into regulated DC voltage rails.

If one has nothing offer other than snide remarks why post here ??

charles

Good engineering makes good sound equipment and provides audible and measurable improvements. Not snake oil sold on the basis of preying on ignorance. Why post here? People are claiming stuff from power cables which have never been measured (despite being attempted), has no good engineering or scientific backing and are not identifiable.

Good engineering makes for better sound, not religious beliefs from people who wish to ignore good engineering and science.

Just because you cannot (yet) measure it does not mean it does not make a difference.

Neal .

Lets drop this little incorrect pearl as well... We can very well measure signal transfer and power supplies well beyond human perception. In fact, that is exactly how we have developed electronic technology to well beyond the limits of human perception. We can measure electrical impulses within the brain and map it to an incredible level, and in 3d yet apparently our power supplies are so crude, as are the cables that they have clearly perceptible effects on the sound, despite there are no electrically measurable properties within the cable that differ, nevermind any differences in the electrical output of them. Also lets not forget that the signal through them, goes through an extremely high quality rectifier and regulator....

Conveniently, some ignore the science and engineering when it suits.

werd

« Reply #36 on: 15 May 2012, 01:28 pm »
And as it turns out I would most certainly take Rollo's system over Adproms.
Why is that? Because Rollo treats this hobby with a trained ear on audio. Unlike Adprom who's system would have no audible signature outside some idea built around specs.....yuk gross....gives me shivers thinking about it.

Sasha

« Reply #37 on: 15 May 2012, 02:01 pm »
Hey Adprom, don’t you know that Earth is 6000 years old and is flat?

adprom

« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2012, 02:20 pm »
Hey Adprom, don’t you know that Earth is 6000 years old and is flat?

Centre of the universe, and the sun revolves around it too ;)

werd

« Reply #39 on: 15 May 2012, 03:15 pm »
Got the shivers.... Gross. !! Yuk