What Power Cord are you using with the BDP1?

jjc1

What Power Cord are you using with the BDP1?
« on: 27 Feb 2012, 12:05 am »
  I have been using the standard power cord supplied by Bryston ever since I received my BDP1. Has anyone replaced the standard chord?  If so, has there been any sound iimprovement and what replacement power chord are you using?
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2012, 02:08 am by jjc1 »

Phil

Re: What Power Chord are you using with the BDP1?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2012, 12:15 am »
The JPS Labs Digital AC -X.

This cord has filtering that allowed me to use it with my equitech along with my DAC (non-filtering cord didn't work since the DAC seems to pollute a bit).  If you already have your BDP-1 plugged into a balanced power unit and don't have a problem with other components polluting the power, you might have everything you need. 

On the other hand, the DAC didn't respond well to the AC-X, so experimentation is needed, as usual.  I believe tweekgeek has a 30-day return policy.

Phil

StigO

Re: What Power Cord are you using with the BDP1?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2012, 04:28 pm »
The standard shipped with the bdp-1

NMG

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2012, 03:57 pm »
Elrod EPS 2 Sig. This has been my go-to PC for digital output devices for several years. I have tried many others and none are as good.

Neal

terrycym

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:05 pm »
Elrod EPS 2 Sig. This has been my go-to PC for digital output devices for several years. I have tried many others and none are as good.

Neal

Is that none as good with the BDP-1?

What's the Bryston view of different power cords? I mention this because looking on the Bryston web site, in the section where they list cables, they don't list mains leads. So do Bryston believe all you need is the lead that comes in the box?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:21 pm »
Is that none as good with the BDP-1?

What's the Bryston view of different power cords? I mention this because looking on the Bryston web site, in the section where they list cables, they don't list mains leads. So do Bryston believe all you need is the lead that comes in the box?

YES :thumb: :thumb:

james

Notice 2 thumbs above - I will now be hung by them!

terrycym

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:25 pm »
Cheers, James. All other debate is now redundant unless you really have a load of money you don't know what to do with!

NMG

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:50 pm »
To Terrycym,

With any digital output device I have used, including Bel Canto and Dodson DAC's, Pioneer PD-65 and Sony 5400 CDP's, Oppo DVD/CD player -- and BDP-1. Obviously, I haven't tried every PC out there, but I have tried many, and to my taste the Elrod EPS 2 Sig has a special magic with digital output devices.

I disagree strenuously with James, with all due respect. Upgraded PC's make an immediate and audible improvement in BDP-1 SQ. Don't ask me why.

One man's opinion, based on experimentation.

Neal

Lissnr

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm »
Try Triode Wire Labs (TWL). They are exceptional across the board and especially good on anything digital (I use them on both my Jolida JD 100 [as transport into] and on my Bryston BDA 1 and they are fantastic. Virtually destroys digital artifacts and brings out all the rich clean notes and tremendous blackness between... But by all means: dump those stock cables right away!! YM will NOT vary: you will love them AND at reasonable prices... Pete is great to work with too. Good luck.

thuber

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2012, 03:53 am »
I'll second Lissnr on the Triode Wire Labs PCs. I employ a Twelve Gauge on my BCD-1. Pete is currently experimenting with cryogenic treatments for his cords and my 12 Gauge is one of his betas. All I can say is what a cord! Now granted the CDP has something to do with it, but the sound I get is just spectacular. Very, very quiet background and the sound is so organic & analog. The cord & CDP sound like they were made for one another. I also employ an Eight Gauge on my SMc-modded DNA-125 and I'm just as happy with it, although I think Pete has really taken a step up with this new cryogenic treatment process. 

Tom

jjc1

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:36 pm »
  Hi everybody! I really appreciate the feedback on this topic. But what I am really trying to get to is whether  an upgraded power cord makes a significant difference in sound, specifically  with the BDP1, since in reality it is  a computer.

Thanks for all of your resonses and I hope more will come.

John

werd

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:41 pm »
Harmonix x-dc2 on the bdp1

and

Wywires on the BDA-1.

jjc1

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:43 pm »
Harmonix x-dc2 on the bdp1

and

Wywires on the BDA-1.
And you hear a difference using the Harmonix with the BDP1 as opposed to the standard Bryston power cord?

terrycym

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:45 pm »
  Hi everybody! I really appreciate the feedback on this topic. But what I am really trying to get to is whether  an upgraded power cord makes a significant difference in sound, specifically  with the BDP1, since in reality it is  a computer.

Thanks for all of your resonses and I hope more will come.

John

James Tanner from Bryston states earlier that all ones needs to use is the included mains cable.
Which implies that so called "upgraded" cords make no difference.

Some people have issues with this but James is correct according to my ears.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2012, 05:16 pm »
Hi Folks,

These kinds of discussions come up all the time and my normal response is..... we can not tell people they are not hearing what they are hearing - all we can do is try to understand what could be causing the sonic differences??????????

james

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2012, 05:32 pm »
Which implies that so called "upgraded" cords make no difference.

And away we go....IGW here we come!!!  :lol:

D.D.

drummermitchell

« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2012, 08:09 pm »
Let the cable puzzle palace games begin.
I've been there thru the top Shunyata,Cardas,Lessloss for Pc's.
My cabling is all Bryston :thumb:.
Before any friggin pc's I'd look at the room,I bet 1000.00 worth of basstraps and a couple of panels will do major changes to your sound than any 2000 or 5000 cable will,hell even VD's Judge Pc at 50,000,no wonder he went belly up.
I've had everything loaded with the above top pc's,and they don't come even close to treating the room.
Course when I was into the cable thing,ya couldn't tell me I was just the lunatic they were looking for.
I'll stick with Gik traps and Bryston cabling,simple is better.

BrysTony

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2012, 01:31 am »
Let the cable puzzle palace games begin.
I've been there thru the top Shunyata,Cardas,Lessloss for Pc's.
My cabling is all Bryston :thumb:.
Before any friggin pc's I'd look at the room,I bet 1000.00 worth of basstraps and a couple of panels will do major changes to your sound than any 2000 or 5000 cable will,hell even VD's Judge Pc at 50,000,no wonder he went belly up.
I've had everything loaded with the above top pc's,and they don't come even close to treating the room.
Course when I was into the cable thing,ya couldn't tell me I was just the lunatic they were looking for.
I'll stick with Gik traps and Bryston cabling,simple is better.

I totally agree with what you are saying DrummerMitchell.  Bryston and their competitors spend lots of time, energy and $ to make their products better.  All must continually improve or they will be out of business.   I believe that if Bryston could make the BDP-1 (or any other product) sound better with a different power cord it would have been in the box.  I am using all OEM power cords, Bryston XLR ICs and Bryston speaker cables.  Lots of improvements to spend money rather than cables.

Tony

drummermitchell

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2012, 02:28 am »
I remember swapping my GRC's out with Bryston cables(speaker),to me no degradation what so ever.
Seems to me that Bryston cables wanted to party more than the other.
The way some folks say they'll transform your system,air,bass to die for  :roll:,they make it sound like it will
change your system like a major component would :o..
I bet I have had at least$15000-24,000 in cables(SLAP ME) in my Bryston gear and I'm back to the humble Bryston cable and couldn't be happier.
Yes I thought, I think I can here a difference,so it is.Huffin and puffin,mindset change, changing power cables, YIPPEE I have 6 A_ _ _ _ _ _ _ HE_ _ _ES,they look great,their thick and everything, and try to relax to see if the difference is in what folks claim(NOT)alas the excitement of new cables.
Alot of folks won't believe it and that's fine,done that for a few years.I just hope they don't spend as much as I have on cables and expect an astronmical change musically,money yes.
Less than a grand you can treat the room pretty good,course whether you like the sound or not that's up to them,but to find out,it's a lot cheaper to try it and see,then spend thousands on cables :green:.
Jeez,perhaps I should take up drinkin again,cheaper.

Lissnr

« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2012, 02:30 am »
I agree that room treatments are essential to maximizing your system's potential and if all I had was x dollars to improve a system without putting anymore cash into the actual components then a proper ratio of dollars to both room treatments AND power cords would be the best way to go.
Take one of the well put together systems you see every year or so in TAS...where they pick a price point and assemble an entire system that is WELL MATCHED together and delivers great sound AT THAT price point. Let's say $8000 for the system (a humble but realistic starting place for a new audio enthusiast).
Assuming again, that the room is adequate size and leaves the options for some room treatments without much regard for low WAF ("wife acceptance factor" for those newbies).
Here's how you get the very best sound for that room:
1) You look at the TAS guide and pick one of the well -thought-out $5000 systems...yes $5K
2) You take each and every OEM stock power cords and you use it to tie up your next bundle of firewood or garbage or clothes you're donating to charity...ANYTHING but actually using it in the system.
3) You search A'gon or any other popular audio sites and read about several of the different aftermarket power cord companies and you buy their $75 to $200 cables... NOT  their top of the line $500-$5000 versions (if they go that far) just their good basic reasonably priced replacement cables for under $200 each (several come to mind out of dozens, including Signal Cable, TWL, Element, Shunyata, VH Audio...and many many more)
4) You search several audio sites again and read up about the basics of acoustic room treatments and explore the various manufacturers that are well regarded in this field (GIK, Auralex, ASC, Michael Green, Echobusters (some are no longer available new but are worth seeking out and there are many more readily avail brand new)). Then you purchase some panels/traps/diffusors... and all you will need to treat the room WELL... Here your budget is the remains of the $3k minus approximately $500 - $1000 worth of power cords...or in other words: $2-$2.5K for room treatments...
5) Patiently, slowly, methodically...start setting your system up based on a general fundamental configuration then begin to listen...and listen...and make notes, and trust your ears...make small adjustments, and trust your ears...get to know what changes do what (good and bad), listen some more, be patient, and TRUST YOUR ears.
  The main point of my story: You will NEVER even approach how good your system can sound with stock power cords.
   Well treated rooms will completely amaze you SO MUCH MORE than far more expensive systems that are not well [acoustically] treated..
   You will realize what all the audio hype is about and truly appreciate all your patient hard work, with a wonderful sounding system!
 PS ALL facets of this ...including and ESPECIALLY dumping the stock powercords  is essential to make this work.
DO IT, (Trust Me!!!).. and you will be a very happy listener.
Happy Lissn'n!!!