What Films have you just watched, Any Good?

Vipers

What Films have you just watched, Any Good?
« on: 23 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm »
Not sure whether this will work on a mainly audio forum but thanks to my SP3 re-awaking my love for films I thought it may make the perfect companion to 'What Are You Listening To?'

Plus also pointing out some great films that I or others may otherwise have missed, so let's give it a try and see how it goes.

Yesterday I watched Nine which I actually didn't know was a musical but fantastic cast and really enjoyed the film, 4/5 plus Penelope Cruz didn't look to shabby :roll: and it sounded amazing through the SP3 :thumb:

Yesterday evening watched Nowhere Boy, fantastic film, detailing the formative years of John Lennon, a great watch if you do or don't like the Beatles 5/5.

This evening I Watched Dorian Gray, a thoroughly enjoyable story, I wasn't aware of the previous film or book so had no expectations to meet, just a really great story acted out with a great cast and some excellent sets 4/5.

Thirsty

Re: What Films have you just watched, Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm »
Last night we watched "Water for Elephants", although I usually don't care much for romantic drama's I thought this one was very good, the cinematography was great and if you have ever wanted to run away and join the circus this will probably change your mind.

Last week we watched this very interesting low budget film called "Another Earth", this one just sucks you in to the very end, I'm still scratching my head over the ending. I believe it got high praise at Sundance.

1ZIP

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:56 am »
"Sunshine"  (scifi)  Wouldn't say it's a great movie but it does have some great special effects.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2012, 04:55 am »
Just purchased 'Live Free or Die Hard'. Liked the story line and lots of action.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2012, 05:34 am »
Just watched the documentary Senna, about the F1 driver, on Netflix. Was GREAT.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2012, 07:29 am »
I buy them, but never watch them... I still have about 30 DVD's still wrapped in shrink plastic here...

Alpha10

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2012, 02:34 pm »
Vipers, two I have watched recently were the new Planet of the Apes film and the last Transformers. Both sounded absolutely amazing on the SP3, especially Transformers, there is some really excellent steering around all the speakers which the SP3 is like lightening, with very smooth transitions and precise positioning.

Cheers

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2012, 08:28 pm »
We recently watched Apollo 18 at the Laundrew household. I was extremely disappointed by this movie on so many levels. I know right away when I am not enjoying a movie - I keep looking at a clock to see what time it is. I thought that the storyline was un-imaginative and the movie just seemed to drag.

Be well...

Cacophonix

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:50 pm »
Check out the movie Drive (Ryan Gosling). Absolutely loved it.

Vipers

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2012, 11:13 pm »
After watching the original Tim Burton Batman a couple of weeks ago it was time for Batman Returns this afternoon, considering it's age it has held up really well, after Dark Knight I would say it is probably my favourite Batman movie, but then I'm a massive Michelle Pfeiffer fan so no suprise there, Anna Hathaway has got a tough act to follow :) 4.5/5

This evening it was time for some stupidity with Step Brothers, sometimes you just need some madness and that is what Will Ferrell is king at, not his best work by any imagination, but still good fun, 3/5.

Vipers

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm »
Last week we watched this very interesting low budget film called "Another Earth", this one just sucks you in to the very end, I'm still scratching my head over the ending. I believe it got high praise at Sundance.

This got excellent reviews on a movie program over here in the UK, I write a list of films that get great reviews when on cinema release so that I remember to buy them when they come out on DVD/BD, so I've just added 'Another Earth' to the list :thumb:

Another film that I recommend everyone watches if not seen already, which was voted as film of the year last year by many reviewers is 'Catfish' It totally blew me away, make sure you watch the film makers interview extra after and I guarantee you'll want to watch it again, straight away, it really is something original and fresh.

Vipers

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm »
Vipers, two I have watched recently were the new Planet of the Apes film and the last Transformers. Both sounded absolutely amazing on the SP3,

Hi Alpha, I actually ordered Rise of the Planet of the Apes today, along with Toy Story 3, Monsters, Adjustment Bureau, Source Code and both Tron movies as I haven't seen either yet :oops:

I thought buying the SP3 was quite a hefty investment, but that is nothing compared to all the films I've ended up buying since owning it :)

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm »
Step Brothers is one of the funniest movies ever made if you fit within that frame. Talladega Nights, etc, he had quite a run. Think his head exploded from the fame with his Bush monologue, that was a little much.

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2012, 11:32 pm »

Guys you should get CinemaNow. I have it on my PS3 and it's been how I've watched just in, first rate movies, Transformers, Planet of the Apes, etc, I watched them all on CinemaNow. They're even getting into same-day-as-theater releases.

The quality blows Netflix skyhigh, but you pay per view. You can rent or buy HD quality ( 5.1 or stereo ... and which will surely test the quality of your wifi connection) or standard def (Netflix quality) for slightly less.

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2012, 03:44 pm »
Purchased Predator 2 Special Edition which has the dts soundtrack. Sound quality is very good in 5.1 bypass on SP2. Saw this movie in theatre before seeing Predator 1, which was a great sequel.

The movie Hustler followed by The Color of Money which is the sequel. Are another two movies that should also be watched back to back, to understand the full story. 8)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2012, 04:18 pm »
Vipers, two I have watched recently were the new Planet of the Apes film and the last Transformers. Both sounded absolutely amazing on the SP3, especially Transformers, there is some really excellent steering around all the speakers which the SP3 is like lightening, with very smooth transitions and precise positioning.

Cheers

Add Super8 to these as recent movies watched in our HT that we all enjoyed.

George

Vipers

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:15 pm »
Add Super8 to these as recent movies watched in our HT that we all enjoyed.

George

Couldn't agree more George, Super8 was the one of the first films I watched once the SP3 was installed, the soundtrack totally blew me away, helped me realise how special the SP3 was, great film aswell :)

A blast from the past this afternoon 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' great fun, still as fresh as when I first saw it, 5/5.

It's going to be hard when I go back to work next week, my movie time is going to take a severe hit :(

geowak

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm »
"How beer saved the world" on Netflix. He he

Vipers

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jan 2012, 11:37 pm »
Attack of the Clones this afternoon as I carry on working my way through the Star Wars BD box set, much better than I remembered it at the cinema actually, 3/5.

This evening we watched Sideways, never really fancied it when released but a thoroughly enjoyable film with a nice pace, it will make you want a glass of wine though :) 4/5

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2012, 12:37 am »
Last weekend we watched Money Ball. Enjoyed by all present.
Next night we watched The Ides Of March. It was about 50/50.