The worst movie ever made? Indubitably.

won ton on

Re: The worst movie ever made? Indubitably.
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:31 pm »
conan the barbarian, took my wife to it for a first date. man what a turkey

drjjpdc

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:31 pm »
I have 2 candidates. The Silver Chalice with Paul Newman (his 1st movie) was so bad he tried to buy up all the prints of it. The other was Jacob's Ladder with Tim Robbins. I hate endings that are not real or that the entire movie was a dream as in this case.

Delta Wave

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:33 pm »
Battlefield Earth is indeed THE WORST MOVIE EVER. It is awesome in it's suckiness.

Two hours of my life I'll never get back. I feel even worse for a friend that actually read the whole book.  :o

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:35 pm »
Wha?. That is an INTENTIONALLY 'bad' film. One of the smarter movies of the 90's.

Are you talking about Super Troopers?

Shenanigans  :lol:

Randy

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:43 pm »
The Silver Chalice - I saw it on its first run and have never forgotten Jack Palance chewing the scenery, thinking he could fly, and then taking a swan dive off a tower and landing face first into the gravel.  Or am I remembering it incorrectly? Haven't seen it in the last 55 years.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:45 pm »
Wha?. That is an INTENTIONALLY 'bad' film. One of the smarter movies of the 90's.

With some of the worst acting of all time!   :duh:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:47 pm »

Hell, no!  Super Troopers was dumb, but it was an inspirational "how-to" manual on messing with people.   :thumb: :lol:

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:56 pm »
With some of the worst acting of all time!   :duh:

Entitled to your opinion of course, but everything about the film was deliberate. Verhoeven knew what he was doing.

"In the scheme of Starship Troopers, it’s important that the actors be pretty and vacuous, and their characters’ romantic dilemmas of the most banal variety imaginable. "

http://www.avclub.com/articles/starship-troopers,41966/

I only take this time to defend because I think it's genuinely a great film by any standard

kip_

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:14 pm »
That terrible Russian submarine movie with Harrison Ford, it was so bad I was laughing out loud. Just as funny were the dummies in the theater actually taking it seriously.  Another turkey was that Revolutionary War flick with Mel Gibson, another laugher that had me talking back to the screen telling it how dumb it was.

The Hunt for Red October? Are you serious? Awesome book, and a 7.6 on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/

It's very 80s, yes, but a classic imho.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:17 pm »
Entitled to your opinion of course, but everything about the film was deliberate. Verhoeven knew what he was doing.

"In the scheme of Starship Troopers, it’s important that the actors be pretty and vacuous, and their characters’ romantic dilemmas of the most banal variety imaginable. "

I only take this time to defend because I think it's genuinely a great film by any standard

Don't know about that, but I hate bugs too.  :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:22 pm »

No worries, but I addressed it simply from my perspective as a viewer, without any idea of what the director had in mind.

OTOH, the only movie I ever fell asleep during, and all four of us walked out of the theater on, was "Comes a Horseman" (I think) from the early-mid-70s.   :shake:

wushuliu

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:30 pm »
The Hunt for Red October? Are you serious? Awesome book, and a 7.6 on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/

It's very 80s, yes, but a classic imho.

No, I think it's 'K-9' Widowmaker not Red October? I saw part of that and Ford's accent had me flipping the channel in a hurry!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:35 pm »
Two hours of my life I'll never get back. I feel even worse for a friend that actually read the whole book.  :o
Battlefield Earth.  Hmmm.  Not bad.  Couldn't sit thru that one, no sir.  That counts.  Wasn't that an adaptation of a book by L. Ron Hubbard?  I seem to remember that Travolta is into his church.  Hope Travolta didn't go as far as to produce it, too.  No wonder he didn't work for several years afterwards.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2012, 08:25 pm by jimdgoulding »

orthobiz

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:47 pm »

Didn't it have a decent shower scene?

Paul

TONEPUB

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:48 pm »
The sequel to the Rocky Horror Picture Show, "Shock Treatment"

They couldn't get Tim Curry to sign up and it just fell apart.  One of three movies I've walked out on in my life, but definitely the worst on my list.

kip_

« Reply #35 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:52 pm »
No, I think it's 'K-9' Widowmaker not Red October? I saw part of that and Ford's accent had me flipping the channel in a hurry!

Oops I mentally substituted "Sean Connery's accent". Haven't seen K-19.

mgalusha

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jan 2012, 07:00 pm »
Battlefield Earth is indeed THE WORST MOVIE EVER. It is awesome in it's suckiness.

I have to go with this one as well. I recently tried to watch this again as I tend to like campy, corny movies. I was determined to sit through the whole thing. I failed miserably, managed perhaps 45 minutes before I could stomach no more.

For your enjoyment, the 100 worst of all time per IMDB

drjjpdc

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jan 2012, 07:00 pm »
The Silver Chalice - I saw it on its first run and have never forgotten Jack Palance chewing the scenery, thinking he could fly, and then taking a swan dive off a tower and landing face first into the gravel.  Or am I remembering it incorrectly? Haven't seen it in the last 55 years.

Randy,

Yup that is the one. Here is a bit of interesting trivia from IMDB.

James Dean was offered the role of Basil, the sculptor, but he and his agent thought the script was poor. Paul Newman, who was a finalist for the role of Cal Trask in 'East of Eden (1955)' that eventually was played by Dean and made him a star, took the role, which Newman later regretted. Wow, playing Basil, the sculptor instead of Cal in East of Eden. No wonder PN was upset!

ajzepp

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jan 2012, 08:14 pm »
Most everything in the last 15-20 years...... I realize there are a few exceptions but they are few and far between.

I could not disagree more. You need to expand your horizons, man. If you only focus on mainstream Hollywood, you're bound to be disappointed. But there is an entire world of independent and foreign cinema out there that is very good. Not to take away time from your music, cause we all enjoy that, but if you can't find anything good in movies you're just not looking in the right places  :wink:

As for my worst movie ever? Easy. Surviving the Game and Thelma and Louise.... :duh:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jan 2012, 08:55 pm »
Thelma & Louise? I enjoyed Thelma and Louise! Not brilliant, but not at all bad, I thought. Made some valid points about certain types of people!

the critics like it:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thelma_and_louise/

I do agree with you about movies in general, though. There has been some amazing stuff from every part of the world. It does help to live near an outstanding video store as we do, though. We can see films that are not available on Netflix, for example.