Ted,
Any feedback on the Young DAC?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: M2Tech Evo interface
« Reply #101 on: 26 Mar 2011, 03:39 am »
HAL, et al,
I replied on another thread that it was still too early.  Why?  Well, even though I've had the Young for awhile now, the DAC was basically released before its time, and many of us had to suffer through some classic early release issues.  The great news is that Marco and the rest of the Italian M2tech team have been very responsive, which in this scenario is all you can ask for...that and that the product has potential...which it very much does.  We are on what we've called V2 (a new board swap) and we are still working through driver issues, mainly around outputs being a bit hot.  A new driver was released yesterday that might finally stabilize those issues.  In the meantime it seems mine may have a loose board or something and M2Tech has sent me a UPS tag to return to Italy for inspection/repair. 

All that being said, when it is stable (and it has been for me in the past week or so...go figure) it is a very competitive DAC that just so happens to cost less than $1900 and allow for 32 bit 384khz sample rate playback!  It has a sonic signature similar to the Weiss, with a little less midrange emphasis and a little more soundstage width.  It is very quiet, low noise, highly detailed but not too much to cause a too forward sound.

Another thing...it joins the growing ranks of DACs who use an external power supply...and like expensive tube gear that includes $2 tubes as stock, it joins the ranks of hi-end DACs that include $2 power supplies (not really $2, but trying to make a point).  Good news is ps rolling has become a new  fad.  :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: M2Tech Evo interface
« Reply #102 on: 26 Mar 2011, 03:45 am »
Ted,
Thanks for the feedback!