The iPad Thread

Crimson

Re: The iPad Thread
« Reply #40 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:16 am »
Not to throw this thread too far off track, but are you guys integrators or distributors? If integrators, are you pro, commercial, or residential? I run a pro/commercial AV consulting firm and have been in the biz since the 80's back when video codecs were the size of refrigerators, and AMX's sole product - the MX20, developed in Scott Miller's garage - was a whiz-bang product.

MaxCast

« Reply #41 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:51 am »
Just something I heard on the news today...here it is in print... :thumb:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362373,00.asp

Looks like room for prices to move lower...in the future.

I would have guessed the BOM would have been lower.

PhilNYC

« Reply #42 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:58 am »
But it doesn't actually have the capability to make phone calls.  So in your analogy it would be a big iPod touch.  If you haven't held one in your hand and experienced the functionality and cool factor its silly to even speculate what the device does or is like.  "Is it worth a shot", my worth is different than yours.  Value is defined individually.

Isn't there a Skype app available?  You could make phone calls with that...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #43 on: 8 Apr 2010, 12:51 pm »
Isn't there a Skype app available?  You could make phone calls with that...

Lack of camera makes video conf with Skype difficult (there's a camera accessory kit but expensive and kludgy).

PhilNYC

« Reply #44 on: 8 Apr 2010, 02:00 pm »
Lack of camera makes video conf with Skype difficult (there's a camera accessory kit but expensive and kludgy).

yes, but you can still make skype calls without video conferencing. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 8 Apr 2010, 02:01 pm »
yes, but you can still make skype calls without video conferencing.

True.  :)

BobC

« Reply #46 on: 8 Apr 2010, 02:55 pm »
Sorry for the dumb questions but how could I use an iPad to stream FLAC files to my DAC?  Right now I use a Logitech Duet.  Is there an iPad App that allows control of a Duet Receiver or Touch?  Can I install software other than iTunes to play FLAC files directly from the iPad?  Does the 20pin adapter have USB outs?

Thanks, Bob

K Shep

« Reply #47 on: 8 Apr 2010, 02:56 pm »
Not to throw this thread too far off track, but are you guys integrators or distributors? If integrators, are you pro, commercial, or residential? I run a pro/commercial AV consulting firm and have been in the biz since the 80's back when video codecs were the size of refrigerators, and AMX's sole product - the MX20, developed in Scott Miller's garage - was a whiz-bang product.

I work for an integrator, we're dealers not distributors my error.  It's a residential home integration company.  We are Crestron and Lutron dealers (which means as you know, we design, supply and install equipment).  We also build dedicated theaters (residential).

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 8 Apr 2010, 04:14 pm »
Sorry for the dumb questions but how could I use an iPad to stream FLAC files to my DAC?  Right now I use a Logitech Duet.  Is there an iPad App that allows control of a Duet Receiver or Touch?  Can I install software other than iTunes to play FLAC files directly from the iPad?  Does the 20pin adapter have USB outs?

Thanks, Bob

Like the iPhone or iPod touch, the iPad can be used to control a SqueezeBox Server (Duet, Squeezebox, etc) by installing the iPeng app.  I think the app is still built for the iPod size, so it won't yet take advantage of the bigger screen real estate (don't quote me, he may have updated it).  There are a couple other 3rd party Squeeze remote apps...all to my knowledge still iphone-sized.  But this is using the iPad purely as a remote.  No files etc are coming from the iPad.

BobC

« Reply #49 on: 8 Apr 2010, 04:50 pm »
OK, thanks.  Is there music player software that I can buy which allows me to play flac directly from the iPad?  Either store a copy of the files on the flash drive or in an external HD. 

ctviggen

« Reply #50 on: 8 Apr 2010, 05:29 pm »
OK, thanks.  Is there music player software that I can buy which allows me to play flac directly from the iPad?  Either store a copy of the files on the flash drive or in an external HD.

I don't believe there's a way to get the music from the iPad.  There's no USB port:

No USB Port

"The iPad will sync itself via USB — but only when plugged in via its proprietary dock connector. That means there will be no direct attachment of all umpteen USB peripherals you already own. It even means you won’t be able to plug in an external USB keyboard you already own without buying a separate USB adapter.

Yes, you’ll be able to pick up an us-yet-unpriced “iPad Camera Connection” kit that will give you the ability to pull photos off your USB-enabled camera. It remains to be seen, though, if the adapter-provided USB port will even allow you to hook in other peripherals (mouse? keyboard?) or attach external media in the form of USB hard drives or thumb drives."

http://mashable.com/2010/01/27/ipad-whats-missing/

That's one reason I can't see owning this version of the iPad.  Why buy it, when you can buy a fully functioning laptop for the same price?  I really cannot determine what I'd use the iPad for. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #51 on: 8 Apr 2010, 06:39 pm »
I don't believe there's a way to get the music from the iPad.  There's no USB port:

No USB Port

"The iPad will sync itself via USB — but only when plugged in via its proprietary dock connector. That means there will be no direct attachment of all umpteen USB peripherals you already own. It even means you won’t be able to plug in an external USB keyboard you already own without buying a separate USB adapter.

Yes, you’ll be able to pick up an us-yet-unpriced “iPad Camera Connection” kit that will give you the ability to pull photos off your USB-enabled camera. It remains to be seen, though, if the adapter-provided USB port will even allow you to hook in other peripherals (mouse? keyboard?) or attach external media in the form of USB hard drives or thumb drives."

http://mashable.com/2010/01/27/ipad-whats-missing/

That's one reason I can't see owning this version of the iPad.  Why buy it, when you can buy a fully functioning laptop for the same price?  I really cannot determine what I'd use the iPad for.

You can definitely get music from your computer to the iPad using iTunes...works just like an iPod or iPhone in that respect.  But the question of whether the iPad music player recognizes FLAC is what I'm not sure of.

I'm sure they didn't put a USB interface on it because they didn't want to have to worry about all the various drivers and possible incompatibilities that come with all the various USB devices out there.

No question that the iPad is a "nice to have" rather than a "must have"...it won't take the place of my laptop, because my laptop took the place of my desktop and I definitely have need for something that can host my music server and be the central repository for documents et al.  But I will likely pick up an iPad (probably 2nd gen, just because), and it will be what I take out of the house and let me leave my laptop at home...

MaxCast

« Reply #52 on: 8 Apr 2010, 07:36 pm »
I think he is asking if he can stream the music.  You can sync it and load it to the pad but I don't think you can wirelessly stream...like the SB.

PhilNYC

« Reply #53 on: 8 Apr 2010, 07:44 pm »
I think he is asking if he can stream the music.  You can sync it and load it to the pad but I don't think you can wirelessly stream...like the SB.

Yeah, I understood that...answered the question about sync'ing music because of the USB question.  But I don't think the iPad was designed to be a server of any kind...it's essentially a portable client-device that is meant for running mobile apps, reading, music, photos and movies.

mathgeek97

« Reply #54 on: 8 Apr 2010, 08:37 pm »
Is this still only a remote app or will the iPad olay over Airtunes?  I assume not, but I am hopeful.

Shawn
I REALLY hope that Apple puts out an app that will stream directly from an iPad to an Airport Express.  If Apple is truly serious about this device (the one I'm typing on now, btw) they need to free me from my dependance on my PC/Mac.  Streaming from iTunes on my PC seems like overkill to me.  BTW, I'm addicted to Plants v Zombies HD.   :D

Crimson

« Reply #55 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:49 pm »
Streaming content directly from a mobile device such as the ipad may come some day, but I'd doubt it would be in the next revision or two of the ipad. There are signficant issues of storage, connectivity, processing power (relative to the device), and battery life.   

mathgeek97

« Reply #56 on: 8 Apr 2010, 11:57 pm »
Streaming content directly from a mobile device such as the ipad may come some day, but I'd doubt it would be in the next revision or two of the ipad. There are signficant issues of storage, connectivity, processing power (relative to the device), and battery life.

Considering how well you can stream from old, slow PCs, I'd think the only constraint would be battery life.  But, really, wouldn't it be cool to show up to an audio gathering with your iPad with your playlist ready to connect to the network?  *happy nerd dreaming*

Mariusz

« Reply #57 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:26 am »
With Logitech Touch on its way, I can't help but wonder.......
Will iPad work with it as far as streaming is concern ?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:31 am »
With Logitech Touch on its way, I can't help but wonder.......
Will iPad work with it as far as streaming is concern ?

As we answered above earlier today, the iPad is a client device, not a streamer.  For the Logitech Touch, Duet, SB3, etc it can be used as a remote (just like it's little brother, the ipod touch/iphone).

BobC

« Reply #59 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies and discussion...

So the iPad (just like the iTouch) could be used as a remote for Squeezebox + allow all of the other media / connectivity benefits.  Great - probably worth the price of admission right there.

I would not be able to load it with music files and connect to the USB input on my DAC without extra adapters.  OK.

Also, it's still unclear if there is music player software (other than iTunes) which can process flac and output directly from the iPad.  If there was I could possibly drop my Duet and just use the iPad.

Also, lack of flac support means that I would need to make copies of all of my flac files into an Apple compatible codec to store in the iPad for portable use.  Potential deal breaker for me.