The iPad Thread

spudco

Re: The iPad Thread
« Reply #100 on: 8 May 2010, 01:17 pm »
Got mine yesterday and all I can say is wow!
Controlling squeezebox is so much more fun with this toy than either my laptop, Mac mini or pronto.
I'm having a blast!

rahimlee54

« Reply #101 on: 9 May 2010, 01:56 am »
Did they make ipeng for the ipad finally?  I am going to buy one for my wife and I next week I think.  So I am looking at the best alternative for controlling the SB.

Thanks
Jared

Crimson

« Reply #102 on: 9 May 2010, 03:21 am »
FYI, there are known issues with Pop3 email accounts (when said accounts are set up via the sync process).

Solution: delete problematic accounts and manually re-enter account info.

chgolatin2

« Reply #103 on: 9 May 2010, 05:31 am »
Is their an external 3g adapter for the Ipad?  Curious :scratch:

This is what I found, but I don't know if it will work "Aluratek CDM530AM"

spudco

« Reply #104 on: 9 May 2010, 01:19 pm »
Did they make ipeng for the ipad finally?  I am going to buy one for my wife and I next week I think.  So I am looking at the best alternative for controlling the SB.

Thanks
Jared
I'm just using the standard web browser interface.  I have it set up as an icon to launch.  It is much faster loading and more responsive than the same interface executing on my Vista laptop.  Most rewarding however is the touch interface.  I can quickly zoom around the screens with the touch interface.  It has astounded my wife who hated the standard web interface on the laptop.

spudco

« Reply #105 on: 9 May 2010, 01:20 pm »
FYI, there are known issues with Pop3 email accounts (when said accounts are set up via the sync process).

Solution: delete problematic accounts and manually re-enter account info.

I can vouch for both the problem and the solution.  Thanks for posting Joe!

Crimson

« Reply #106 on: 9 May 2010, 05:23 pm »
I can vouch for both the problem and the solution.  Thanks for posting Joe!

You're welcome!  :D

Stu Pitt

« Reply #107 on: 9 May 2010, 06:46 pm »
Has anyone used the camera adaptor (or whatever it is) to get digital audio out of the iPad yet?   I read somewhere that this is possible, but can't remember where. 

If it works the way I think it does, basically like the Wadia iTransport, it may be worth buying an iPad for solely this purpose. 

If anyone has any insight, please let me know. 

Crimson

« Reply #108 on: 9 May 2010, 11:12 pm »
Has anyone used the camera adaptor (or whatever it is) to get digital audio out of the iPad yet?   I read somewhere that this is possible, but can't remember where.

Maybe here:wink:

I'll get one soon (with the Apple case, as it seems it's traveling with me more than expected) and will report back if someone else doesn't sooner.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #109 on: 10 May 2010, 04:07 am »
Maybe here:wink:

I'll get one soon (with the Apple case, as it seems it's traveling with me more than expected) and will report back if someone else doesn't sooner.

I saw that, but I thought they were referring more to recording music onto the iPad than they were talking about digital out.  It confused me a little bit.

I read about getting a digital output and connecting to a USB DAC.  Not sure where I read it (maybe an Audiogon thread?), but I do remember people were talking about the possibility of it, but no one confirmed it nor commented on how it went.

I'd be interested in hearing your results.  If they're positive, it may be all the motivation I need to buy a USB DAC and an iPad.  I'll probably wait a generation or so before I buy an iPad though.  Apple usually makes some pretty good improvements and lowers the price a bit.  Glad I waited until the iPhone 3GS.  My brother's original iPhone was more expensive, has less memory, and is a good bit slower than mine.

sts9fan

« Reply #110 on: 10 May 2010, 05:09 am »
Anyone jailbreak thief ipad?

JohnR

« Reply #111 on: 10 May 2010, 06:35 am »
Turns out Australian pricing is pretty reasonable (compared to US pricing):

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad

How much memory are people finding they are using? I'm just wondering how you would use more than 16G.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #112 on: 10 May 2010, 07:09 am »
Is their an external 3g adapter for the Ipad?

You can use an iPhone.

dave

sts9fan

« Reply #113 on: 10 May 2010, 01:47 pm »
You can use an iPhone.

If said iphone is jailbroken.  I use the Mywi app which is fantastic. 
http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/mywi.html

make sure you protect your phone if you do jailbreak it though.  Change your default passwords.

Kris

mathgeek97

« Reply #114 on: 10 May 2010, 05:23 pm »
Turns out Australian pricing is pretty reasonable (compared to US pricing):

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad

How much memory are people finding they are using? I'm just wondering how you would use more than 16G.

I have 16GB on my iPhone and it's always close to being full.  And that's not even all of my music, movies, etc.  For the iPad, I went with the 64GB, which could be overkill, but now I can just synch everything onto it and not have to spend time managing my library.
But secretly, I have no reason to have my iTunes music on it, and 16GB should be plenty for a few movies and all the apps you could every want.
Now, if somebody wrote an app that could play Apple Lossless files directly to an Airport Express, I'd say get 64GB.  However, that's not going to happen any time soon, if ever.

TONEPUB

« Reply #115 on: 10 May 2010, 05:27 pm »
Got mine yesterday and all I can say is wow!
Controlling squeezebox is so much more fun with this toy than either my laptop, Mac mini or pronto.
I'm having a blast!

Which app are you using to control your squeezbox with on the iPad?

thanks!

JohnR

« Reply #116 on: 11 May 2010, 02:35 am »
But secretly, I have no reason to have my iTunes music on it, and 16GB should be plenty for a few movies and all the apps you could every want.

Hi - thanks, that's what I was wondering. I don't think I would use one for storing music... need to think about it more but I can't think why I would.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #117 on: 11 May 2010, 07:31 am »

thanks!

There is an app called ipeng that I use on an iTouch.

spudco

« Reply #118 on: 11 May 2010, 01:04 pm »

thanks!

I'm using the standard web based interface via the safari app. 

I am also evaluating VNC apps Mocha Lite and iTeleporter.  So far, the VNC apps are not as much fun...  The screen resolution I need for my plasma display attached to the Mac Mini is too wide to fit the iPad screen.  This makes using a VNC kind of clunky.

I may also try out one of the other apps like iPeng. 

If I could only find a wifi to infrared converter, I could replace my Pronto with a truly programmable remote!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #119 on: 11 May 2010, 01:28 pm »
I'm using the standard web based interface via the safari app. 

I am also evaluating VNC apps Mocha Lite and iTeleporter.  So far, the VNC apps are not as much fun...  The screen resolution I need for my plasma display attached to the Mac Mini is too wide to fit the iPad screen.  This makes using a VNC kind of clunky.

I may also try out one of the other apps like iPeng. 

If I could only find a wifi to infrared converter, I could replace my Pronto with a truly programmable remote!

iRule is one of them (wifi to IR, with great templates, etc).  It uses off the shelf web/IR gateways.  Another is Newkinetix, which uses an IR transmitter connected to the 30 pin.  Both have iPad development going on.  I'm looking at iRule very closely (they have 58+ page AVS thread for more info).

For VNC have you tried LogMeIn.  great app (not technically VNC but who cares).
« Last Edit: 11 May 2010, 08:03 pm by ted_b »