The iPad Thread

srb

Re: The iPad Thread
« Reply #60 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:01 pm »
I would not be able to load it with music files and connect to the USB input on my DAC without extra adapters.  OK.

You would not be able to get digital audio from either the iPad Dock's USB port or from the included Dock Connector to USB Cable.

The only way to currently extract digital audio out of an iPod is with the use of a third party Apple-licensed dock (with internal Apple digital extraction software code), and there are no docks of this type yet for the iPad.  It is unknown if the iPad would work with one of the existing iPod digital docks (like the Wadia 170i or Onkyo ND-S1) if connected with a male to female dock connector cable.

Also, it's still unclear if there is music player software (other than iTunes) which can process flac and output directly from the iPad.  If there was I could possibly drop my Duet and just use the iPad.

The Rockbox application (www.rockbox.org) is an open source firmware OS that can play FLAC files, and although it is available for a number of iPod models, they do not yet have a version for the iPod Touch or the iPad.  There may be some other player software in development, but I don't know of any yet that claim to support the iPod Touch or iPad.

Steve

BobC

« Reply #61 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:29 pm »
Thanks, Steve.  Not keen on messing with the OS of a new piece of equipment.

So I think the Duet is bluetooth and the Touch / SB3 are IR.  I assume the iPad does both IR and  bluetooth, correct?  If so it could function like a kick-butt universal remote, provided there are remote control apps for my other equipment.   

srb

« Reply #62 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:39 pm »
So I think the Duet is bluetooth and the Touch / SB3 are IR.  I assume the iPad does both IR and  bluetooth, correct?  If so it could function like a kick-butt universal remote, provided there are remote control apps for my other equipment.   

The iPad has Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, but I don't think there is any IR capability.

Steve

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #63 on: 10 Apr 2010, 12:55 am »
Typing this from an iPad in the Apple store... 1) did anyone get the $100 Applecare?

----

Now that I am home I will add some more questions...2) if the iPad is on, and you take it with you on the road with 3G (avsailable in a couple of weeks) will it stay on? Will it stay on while you download stuff for a couple of hours, traveling around town, in a meeting?

...3) what case did you get for your iPad?

...4) did anyone get the $90 keyboard set (adapter plus keyboard) ?

« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2010, 09:56 pm by jqp »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #64 on: 10 Apr 2010, 08:46 am »
Here's another iPad question.....will it blend......? :?

Audioclyde

« Reply #65 on: 10 Apr 2010, 11:21 am »
As reported in some of the older threads pre-release, there are already a few apps available that use a gizmo plugged into the Ipad's dock to allow it to become a learning infrared remote control.  Don't have one yet, so haven't tried (seriously thinking about picking up a 3g version though).

Randy

chgolatin2

« Reply #66 on: 12 Apr 2010, 04:31 am »
I went to the apple store today to check out the Ipad, wow, what an awesome gadget but I'm waiting for the 3G one's to come out.  Needless to say that I wasn't expecting to be blowned away but I was.  This is only the beginning for Ipad  :eyebrows:  Now watch the competition try to emulate what Apple has done, just like the Iphone...  :scratch:  Sadly the Ipad does not have a camera  :roll: :nono:

Crimson

srb

« Reply #68 on: 15 Apr 2010, 05:57 pm »
USB audio? Hmmmmmmm......

Hmmmmmmm......   I wonder how many years before 128GB/256GB versions will be available for the cost of current 32GB/64GB versions?  2 years?

Self-contained battery powered music server that only requires a good USB DAC.

Hmmmmmmm......

Steve

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #70 on: 19 Apr 2010, 08:10 pm »
I had a chance to try a friend's iPad earlier today and it is indeed quite slick and cool as other's have said.  Besides operating a Modwright TP, I surfed the web and read some articles from the NY Times and WSJ.

While I liked it a lot, I can't say I am rushing out to buy one.  At its current price, I am not sure that I would buy an iPad over a laptop.

George

chgolatin2

« Reply #71 on: 19 Apr 2010, 09:15 pm »
True indeed however, most people are buying them just because the "Cool" factor, but I have to admit its a nice little gadget!  Pretty simple to carry around and the concept is worth the recognition~  I have 2 apple products, macbook pro, iphone and several ipod's I have to admit that I'm getting to hate PC's!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #72 on: 19 Apr 2010, 09:26 pm »
True indeed however, most people are buying them just because the "Cool" factor, but I have to admit its a nice little gadget!  Pretty simple to carry around and the concept is worth the recognition~  I have 2 apple products, macbook pro, iphone and several ipod's I have to admit that I'm getting to hate PC's!

Luckily for me, I am past the buying something because it's cool phase.   :wink:

Sounds like I need to spend more time with an iPad before I make a decision.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #73 on: 19 Apr 2010, 09:32 pm »
George,
Did the iPeng app (I assume that's what you used to control MW TP) get updated to take advantage of larger iPad real estate or is it still an ipod app (like the darn Apple Remote app...weird they haven't update that)?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #74 on: 19 Apr 2010, 09:33 pm »
George,
Did the iPeng app (I assume that's what you used to control MW TP) get updated to take advantage of larger iPad real estate or is it still an ipod app (like the darn Apple Remote app...weird they haven't update that)?

Nope, hasn't been updated yet for the iPad.  Just made it 2x in size to take up more of the screen.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #75 on: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50 pm »
I had a chance to try a friend's iPad earlier today and it is indeed quite slick and cool as other's have said.  Besides operating a Modwright TP, I surfed the web and read some articles from the NY Times and WSJ.

While I liked it a lot, I can't say I am rushing out to buy one.  At its current price, I am not sure that I would buy an iPad over a laptop.

George

I'm trying to find an excuse to buy one for my wife, but I think I'd rather get her a kindle.  For myself, I can't see the use of an iPad.  If I bought a laptop around this price, I could use it to control my squeezebox, act as a file/DVD/Bluray interface to my server and HT system, take room measurements with it, use it to serve a USB DAC, etc.  With an iPad I can....what?  Surf the internet?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #76 on: 19 Apr 2010, 10:06 pm »
  With an iPad I can....what?  Surf the internet?

And control your squeezebox, and act as a remote display/keyboard/mouse for your music server, etc.  I plan on using one for remote control of Pure music and/or Amarra (via iTunes and the Apple Remote app), remote control of my mac server (LogMeIn app) which I can now put in my audio rack and leave alone, surf the web and answer email all from my sweet spot listening chair.  Yes, it's cool, it's a toy to some extent, but I'm just not about to have a laptop sit on my lap while I listen to music.... YMMV.  If you use a laptop as a USB source for your DAC it's tethered to the DAC (don't use a long USB cable if you don't have to) and likely not gonna be used as a lap-based remote control for your squeezebox.

Mariusz

« Reply #77 on: 19 Apr 2010, 11:37 pm »
Or control you whole system with gizmo like this:

http://www.newkinetix.com

I had pleasure of using it for over a week now and love it.
 :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #78 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:00 am »
Or control you whole system with gizmo like this:

http://www.newkinetix.com

I had pleasure of using it for over a week now and love it.

I've ping'd them about ipad availability.  Their forum responses as of April 4th were a bit lame..("We're still operating on Apple's instructions not to talk about iPad support, but I expect we'll hear more from users soon"  ?) but they should have a plan by now.  The device (and idea) is great; too bad the remote accessory is necessarily attached to the 30 pin, which is located on the bottom of the device......I guess there is no real "bottom" with the re-orientation capability.  :)

Mariusz

« Reply #79 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:22 am »
Orientation of the buttons changes in coordination with position of iPod Touch or iPhone.  It is automatic and works flawlessly. 
Attachment is a bit PITA (easy to loose/misplace it) but this inconvenience is overshadowed by quick learning mode and cool factor. (I had my TV room up and running in 5min)

Surely others will come up with alternatives.