The iPad Thread

Philistine

Re: The iPad Thread
« Reply #20 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:30 pm »
I'm in for the WiFi version, just curious what capacity you guys bought - 16, 32 or 64GB, and why?
I want to make sure I future proof on the capacity.

TONEPUB

« Reply #21 on: 4 Apr 2010, 05:49 pm »
I just bought the 16gb version.  Only going to use it to surf the web and read some online media.  Not really worried about using it as an iPod, can access my Sooloos over the network, so have 6000+ albums available to stream.

Will also be using it for travel a lot, instead of a laptop.  Again, just to keep up with email while away from the office.

K Shep

« Reply #22 on: 4 Apr 2010, 08:12 pm »
I'm in for the WiFi version, just curious what capacity you guys bought - 16, 32 or 64GB, and why?

+1 Storing photos will take up space, as will applications from the Apple store.  What else will slow the unit down?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 4 Apr 2010, 08:32 pm »

Hard to do Phil.

None of the current memory options will look "good" within a year or two.  Just the nature of the industry.

Just buy what you can afford and enjoy it.

George

sfox7076

« Reply #24 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:23 pm »
Is this still only a remote app or will the iPad olay over Airtunes?  I assume not, but I am hopeful.

Shawn

pardales

« Reply #25 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:58 pm »
Friend of mine got one. Experimented with it for a while yesterday. Great fun. Very cool device. Still planning to wait for the second generation but it is cool. They are going to sell a lot of these. 

sfox7076

« Reply #26 on: 6 Apr 2010, 12:34 pm »
I have confirmed that the iPad is solely a remote application and that for Airtunes, I would need my computer on somewhere else in the house.  Not the greatest of solutions for those of us who want everything on a network drive and don't want/need a computer on all day.  Oh well.  Maybe 2nd or 22nd generation.

chgolatin2

« Reply #27 on: 7 Apr 2010, 04:01 am »
Is it worth a shot at this new gadget?  Basically, its a huge Iphone if you ask me but I would like some feedback

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #28 on: 7 Apr 2010, 04:14 am »
There's a nine (9) page thread here already!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76825.0

pardales

« Reply #29 on: 7 Apr 2010, 07:08 am »
I have confirmed that the iPad is solely a remote application and that for Airtunes, I would need my computer on somewhere else in the house.  Not the greatest of solutions for those of us who want everything on a network drive and don't want/need a computer on all day.  Oh well.  Maybe 2nd or 22nd generation.

So it won't have the same remote app that the iPod touch/iPhone has--that let's you control your iTunes? Hard to believe. Or are you talking aboutt something else?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #30 on: 7 Apr 2010, 08:48 am »
So it won't have the same remote app that the iPod touch/iPhone has--that let's you control your iTunes? Hard to believe. Or are you talking aboutt something else?

Must be. Any ap that runs on the iPhone should run on the iPad.

dave

Crimson

« Reply #31 on: 7 Apr 2010, 10:05 am »
I split the 'Event' thread and started this iPad thread now that folks actually have them.

Crimson

« Reply #32 on: 7 Apr 2010, 11:21 am »
That was fast. Here's a full-featured VNC app for the iPad.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #33 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:16 pm »

The Apple Remote app, which originally controlled iTunes via Ipod Touch/iPhone, is still only available as a smaller ipod-sized app.  You can, of course, run it on the iPad..I never said otherwise.  But it will occupy the center 10% of the screen.  If you try and zoom it out (on ipod apps there is a 2X button) it becomes pixelated due to its lower rez.  My point was that it hasn't yet been "iPad-ized" to take full advantage of the larger screen real estate, and that hopefully when released it will be more than just a larger version.  Many other "converted' apps have taken full advantage with split screens, more info, etc.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #34 on: 8 Apr 2010, 03:14 am »
Just something I heard on the news today...here it is in print... :thumb:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362373,00.asp

Looks like room for prices to move lower...in the future.

cujobob

« Reply #35 on: 8 Apr 2010, 03:18 am »
Is it worth a shot at this new gadget?  Basically, its a huge Iphone if you ask me but I would like some feedback

It seems like it is just a big Iphone.  But a big Iphone, at that price, is not such a bad deal.

K Shep

« Reply #36 on: 8 Apr 2010, 04:27 am »
It seems like it is just a big Iphone.  But a big Iphone, at that price, is not such a bad deal.

But it doesn't actually have the capability to make phone calls.  So in your analogy it would be a big iPod touch.  If you haven't held one in your hand and experienced the functionality and cool factor its silly to even speculate what the device does or is like.  "Is it worth a shot", my worth is different than yours.  Value is defined individually.

Pez

« Reply #37 on: 8 Apr 2010, 04:51 am »
Going to Savant training on the iPad friday to learn some of the whole house AV control functionality they have programmed for iPad. Toying with the idea of getting back into integration so I can pull my hair out again.  :duh: At least now I can tell my wife "I NEED an iPad for work!"  :thumb:

K Shep

« Reply #38 on: 8 Apr 2010, 05:28 am »
Going to Savant training on the iPad friday to learn some of the whole house AV control functionality they have programmed for iPad. Toying with the idea of getting back into integration so I can pull my hair out again.  :duh: At least now I can tell my wife "I NEED an iPad for work!"  :thumb:

I'm a Crestron dealer.  They 'bout shiite themselves when the news of the iPad broke.  Bad news for us but the amount of projects that have  integration specified has dropped by more that 50% in the last two years.  So the entire industry is hurting.  That said there are jobs out there to be had.

Edit: dealer not distributor 
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2010, 02:51 pm by K Shep »

Pez

« Reply #39 on: 8 Apr 2010, 05:47 am »
Yeah integration sucks almost any time. When you're fat you're FAT, the rest of the time you're twiddling your thumbs or desperately searching for work. With this economy... sheesh.