SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote

Bigfish

Re: SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote
« Reply #40 on: 20 Nov 2007, 09:09 pm »
Hi,
I tried downloading slimcenter 7.0 via the zip file.
I downloaded but that's as far as I got - I don't know how to install the new software.
I had the option in winzip of open or extract or new or........aaarrrgggh!
Whatever I did, I didn't know what I was doing.
Are there a few easy steps someone with more computer knowledge could post to help me through the process of downloading and installing 7.0?
Thanks!
Bill

Bill:

I downloaded the Windows Excutable File in the list of choices here:  http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/

I downloaded it to the desktop, clicked onto the file and it worked like a charm.

Good Luck:

Ken

Bigfish

« Reply #41 on: 20 Nov 2007, 09:14 pm »
My RANDOM PLAY has disappeared.  :scratch:

I just updated with the nightly and it is still gone................................... .........Anybody find it? :roll:

All in all 7.0 has a lot of promise!

I wonder if Ramdom Play is now the Shuffle Control Button that is located just to the left of the volume indicator?

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #42 on: 20 Nov 2007, 09:37 pm »
Is anybody using their Telcanto software with Slimcenter 7.0?

I looked at the Telcanto site and it isn't yet listed.

I might try and just install the v6.5 compatible Telcanto software and see if it works if nobody has already tried this route.

Thanks,

George

Turnandcough

« Reply #43 on: 20 Nov 2007, 11:14 pm »
Hi,
I downloaded but that's as far as I got - I don't know how to install the new software.
Are there a few easy steps someone with more computer knowledge could post to help me through the process of downloading and installing 7.0?
Thanks!
Bill

Bill:

I downloaded the Windows Excutable File in the list of choices here:  http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/

I downloaded it to the desktop, clicked onto the file and it worked like a charm.

Good Luck:

Ken
Ken,
I'm assuming the correct file for Windows XP is the Slimserver 7.0 a1 (Debian package). Before I mess something up - does it install on top of previous version and are all settings preserved?
Thanks,
Mike

Bigfish

« Reply #44 on: 20 Nov 2007, 11:25 pm »
Hi,
Thanks!
Bill

Bill:

Good Luck:

Ken
Ken,
I'm assuming the correct file for Windows XP is the Slimserver 7.0 a1 (Debian package). Before I mess something up - does it install on top of previous version and are all settings preserved?
Thanks,
Mike

Mike:

I downloaded the third file down under Parent Directory (parent directory = 0).  When you excecute the file from where you save it, it will remove the version of SlimServer you are currently running before it loads the 7.0 Files.

Good Luck,

Ken

mr_bill

« Reply #45 on: 21 Nov 2007, 01:44 am »
Ken,
That worked simple as can be.
I love the new interface!

Now if I could only get my weather information screensaver back on the SB3 I'd be really happy!
I've tried, but can't get anything to work - help!
Bill

Tweaker

« Reply #46 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:02 am »
Ken,
That worked simple as can be.
I love the new interface!

Now if I could only get my weather information screensaver back on the SB3 I'd be really happy!
I've tried, but can't get anything to work - help!
Bill
You have to go into server settings/extras and disable the standard date/time screensaver before any 3rd party plugin weather info will work.

Turnandcough

« Reply #47 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:09 am »
Hi,
Thanks!
Bill

Bill:

Good Luck:

Ken
Ken,
Thanks,
Mike

Mike:

I downloaded the third file down under Parent Directory (parent directory = 0).  When you excecute the file from where you save it, it will remove the version of SlimServer you are currently running before it loads the 7.0 Files.

Good Luck,

Ken

Done. Up and running with all settings apparently intact.
Thanks

mr_bill

« Reply #48 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:33 am »
Thanks Tweaker - that did it!
Getting the city code which was the zip code and then my id and key and I figured it out!
It probably took me about ten times as long as anyone else to download and install and then configure the plug in, but I got it.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #49 on: 21 Nov 2007, 04:02 am »
Bigfish: I found my Random Mix mojo! It's hard to admit :oops: but I didn't realize the difference in the two types of "enable/disable" buttons. I kept disabling the damn thing.... :duh:

Zybar: I have not fired up my TelCanto yet. My battery went dead and I lost the program so I have to reload it. Please let me know if you have any luck.

It is a clear winner (once unbugged)! :thumb:

Val

« Reply #50 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:34 pm »
Wow! I can't believe it sounds this spectacular! Forget SlimServer and firmware 15, this is the real deal. The jump in performance in my system is as big or bigger than when I switched from analog output to coaxial digital to my M24 DAC. And they still say bits are bits. :o

I got no sound at the beginning and I thought I smelled a bug, but going through settings I found all file types are disabled by default. All my settings and preferences from SS v5.5 were kept and it works perfectly in Vista. I don't know if I set the flac-to-wave conversion correctly, as the settings are different to SS.

[Edit] The music is a bit darker, but with more resolution and also more fleshed out. Sadly and just as in SS, radioio doesn't work, messes up the SB2 and forces me to do a reset.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2007, 12:46 am by Val »

Nick B

« Reply #51 on: 22 Nov 2007, 04:10 am »
Val, I'm with you. There appears to be a nice improvement with 7.0 and version 83. The resolution is better and it's less strident. Nicer to listen to strings and cymbals. The interface is layed out much better and is more user friendly. I did have some issues installing it and have glitches..like delays with the remote responding. But overall, I'm very happy with the change. I spoke with SD tech support recently and maybe SB 4 will be out after the 1st of the year.

Val

« Reply #52 on: 22 Nov 2007, 03:41 pm »
Nick, I have the same delay problem with the remote, but it only occurs when resetting the SB (click right arrow, etc.), not when working with the web interface. "Nicer to listen to strings and cymbals" Yes! When I first used it, I was listening to the very familiar Falla's Three Cornered Hat with my back to the speakers, and all of a sudden Ansermet and the whole orchestra woke up! Triangles were extremely clear and present (all the weirdness of old digital treble sounds is more evident, though), and the sound is upfront, unlike the polite and mid-hall SB analog connection. Since the M24 is also a bit upfront, the performers are now in the room with me!

Nick B

« Reply #53 on: 22 Nov 2007, 04:57 pm »
Val, your comments about the sound improvement prodded me to install 7.0.....so, thank you! I'm assuming there will be a fix soon for the remote. Now if someone could explain why firmware changes can improve the sound.
Nick

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #54 on: 22 Nov 2007, 05:01 pm »
Val, your comments about the sound improvement prodded me to install 7.0.....so, thank you! I'm assuming there will be a fix soon for the remote. Now if someone could explain why firmware changes can improve the sound.
Nick

I imagine that the sound changes from firmware to firmware if they change any code that can impact the sound.

Not every firmware release would have sound altering code changes, so it is hit or miss.

George

mr_bill

« Reply #55 on: 22 Nov 2007, 06:26 pm »
Well, I HAD the new squeezecenter running until I turned off my computer and now on restart the Squeezecenter will not start.  The icon in the start up tray just keeps flashing and says 'Squeezecenter starting' but it never starts. If I double click on the desktop icon, nothing happens either - I get the hourglass to show for a split second and then nothing.  I've tried restarting the computer a couple times, but nothing changes the 'Squeezecenter starting' and icon blinking in startup tray.
Anyone know how to cure this, so I can get some music again!
Bill

PeteG

« Reply #56 on: 22 Nov 2007, 06:34 pm »
Well, I HAD the new squeezecenter running until I turned off my computer and now on restart the Squeezecenter will not start.  The icon in the start up tray just keeps flashing and says 'Squeezecenter starting' but it never starts. If I double click on the desktop icon, nothing happens either - I get the hourglass to show for a split second and then nothing.  I've tried restarting the computer a couple times, but nothing changes the 'Squeezecenter starting' and icon blinking in startup tray.
Anyone know how to cure this, so I can get some music again!
Bill

Same problem here. :dunno:

Using Vista 32-bit

Val

« Reply #57 on: 22 Nov 2007, 06:55 pm »
Pete and mr_bill, did you right-click on the file and then on "Run as Administrator"? I didn't find any problems with my installation besides what's above.

Having played several more of my flac files, I find another improvement from SlimCenter in the upper bass and lower midrange, the power range of the orchestra, and now my humble ACI Sapphires + REL sound like big speakers, with real slam! This is also the cause of the slight darkening of the sound, I guess.

The guys over at the "Audiophiles" SlimDevices forum won't believe the big difference in sound, they are all "objectivists" and therefore can't hear a thing.

PeteG

« Reply #58 on: 22 Nov 2007, 07:54 pm »
Just tried it, no go. Everything works fine when I go back to 6.5.

Turnandcough

« Reply #59 on: 23 Nov 2007, 12:08 am »
Just tried it, no go. Everything works fine when I go back to 6.5.
I had it running but I found it was very sluggish and buggy especially with internet radio.  Didn't give it much time but I'm not sure I liked the sound better either. Went back to 6.5(FW 81) - all's well. For now I'll take the "If it ain't broke - don't fix it" approach and let others be the guinea pigs.