Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

ebag4

Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #280 on: 27 Dec 2010, 10:18 pm »
I am assuming that an iTouch would make a nice remote for one of these.

Would this device work as what you boys have been building?  Would run about $155 or so, built and delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280532916633&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As an FYI, this is the unit I purchased:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Engines-Alix-2c10-kit-same-Alix2d2-Alix2d3-/280532918295

It doesn't come pre-configured or built however if you are going to use it as a music server I would think that you would end up wiping the CF card and starting from scratch anyway wouldn't you?  If that is the case then you would have to take to board out of the case to remove the CF card (the Alix board must be removed from the case to install or remove the CF card) ,at that point I don't believe there would be any advantage to spending the additional $35.

Just my $.02.

BTW, the Touch with mPod makes an outstanding remote, I love mine.

Best,
Ed

mcgsxr

« Reply #281 on: 27 Dec 2010, 10:38 pm »
Even better, thanks! The only other difference I see, is that my original link included a 2GB card, where as the less expensive one is a 1GB card - not sure it matters for this type of device, with this in mind?

I have bookmarked a local Linux group that meets at a College not far from my house - I figure if I botch an install, that group could likely be convinced to help for a few beers...

Now to save my pennies for a new music device!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #282 on: 27 Dec 2010, 10:40 pm »
Even better, thanks!  I have bookmarked a local Linux group that meets at a College not far from my house - I figure if I botch an install, that group could likely be convinced to help for a few beers...

Now to save my pennies for a new music device!

That's a great idea.  How did you find that?

I think this thread can help with about anything you need though.

mcgsxr

« Reply #283 on: 27 Dec 2010, 10:44 pm »
In Googling Linux for noobs help, I came across some Linux users group search tab.

http://www.linuxusergroups.info/

I have clicked through the Canadian ones, and found a local one - I have not verified that any of the global links work, but there seem to be lots of groups like this one.

I will try to leverage this group, but have already had trouble with Linux, when installing Vortexbox, so I know I will need the help in time!

Have fun!

mcgsxr

« Reply #284 on: 28 Dec 2010, 03:30 pm »
I think I have noticed other folks angling for a headphone setup leveraging one of these servers, anyone have an opinion on which USB DAC's will work?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-VERSION-ZERO-24-192KHZ-DAC-HEAD-AMP-USB-OPA2604-/260685413881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb20fbdf9

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/206696-nuforce_icon_udac2_black_headphone_amp_and_usb_dac_24bit96khz/

These units have received good press over on Head-fi, and I think it will work with Linux on USB?

ashok

« Reply #285 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:33 pm »

mcgsxr

« Reply #286 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply about the specifics of the USB DACs I posted about.

To clarify something - I have only redbook FLAC, no hi res, so can I still use either one, or does the tiny PC upsample?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #287 on: 29 Dec 2010, 03:09 pm »
You are probably best asking about good headphone DAC/amps in a different thread.  You'll get lots of opinions, including Burson, FiIo, etc.

westers

« Reply #288 on: 22 Jan 2011, 08:10 pm »
Hi

New here so it's my first post.

I discovered this project a few months ago and have been slowly getting the parts and getting Linux to work via the link to the Blog.

However I've hit a problem when trying to get the MPC client to connect to the MPD server - it gives an Error 15 (connection refused).

I've posted the same problem on the Debian forums, but also thought I'd try here as you guys would be familiar with both Debian and Voyage.

I've been Googling all day and tried various things, but to no avail.

I'm also trying to connect my Alix to my Thinkpad via a crossover cable (I don't want these to connect to the internet, partly because my router is located in a room a long way away so I can't wire the Alix board into it, and partly because I want it to be just a music device), so that is different to connecting via a router.

If anyone is willing to help me debug the problem I can send you the details of what I've done and checked (quite a lengthy post), but for my first post I haven't included that information here.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully someone with more knowledge of Linux (I'm completely new to it), can offer some advice.

westers

« Reply #289 on: 23 Jan 2011, 10:48 pm »
Hi, I've now solved the problem - it took me all day to figure it out, but it was to do with the MPD database and log folders being owned by root and not having the priviliges for anyone else to write, modify or execute.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #290 on: 2 Feb 2011, 11:50 pm »
Hi, I've now solved the problem - it took me all day to figure it out, but it was to do with the MPD database and log folders being owned by root and not having the priviliges for anyone else to write, modify or execute.

Hi,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I never got a notification in my box. Are you still having other issues? What DAC are you using? Which Alix?

Thanks,

nick

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #291 on: 7 Feb 2011, 11:07 pm »
Update: Web GUI (graphic user interface) for configuration is in the works for Voyage MPD. One small step in having a plug 'n play USB Alix box for the audiophile masses. I don't know when Punky, lead developer of Voyage Linux, will have it ready, though.

TomS

« Reply #292 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:05 am »
Wow, that would be awesome!  It's probably worth taking a look at the basic configuration interface that Vortexbox provides as it is very similar in concept.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #293 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:16 am »
Wow, that would be awesome!  It's probably worth taking a look at the basic configuration interface that Vortexbox provides as it is very similar in concept.

I think Punky might be taking a slightly different approach so as not to bog down the Alix with running a web server, even a very light one like light lighttpd. Stay tuned...

Alexdad54

« Reply #294 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:18 am »
HI, would that mean though that the Alix would then require a screen or would the GUI work through a remote?

ebag4

« Reply #295 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:19 am »
Very cool! 

My system being fed by the Alix is sounding the best it ever has.  I was saving my pennies for a Mac Mini but I don't see how it could offer much improvement over the Alix.  That and the fact that I am running FLAC files and love the MPOD interface on the iPod Touch make the Alix a definite winner for me.

Best,
Ed

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #296 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:29 am »
HI, would that mean though that the Alix would then require a screen or would the GUI work through a remote?

Nope. The idea is that you can configure your Voyage MPD Alix via a web browser on another machine. Thus, no more text editing via SSH. Kinda like plugging in a Netgear router and typing 192.168.1.10 on your desktop to set it up.

In the near future I hope to see this:

1. Buy a compact flash pre-loaded with Voyage MPD from the Voyage site.

2. Pop into your Alix.

3. Log into Alix via Firefox, Safari, Explorer, etc.

4. Configure settings via point and click.

5. Listen to  music.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #297 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:31 am »
Very cool! 

My system being fed by the Alix is sounding the best it ever has.  I was saving my pennies for a Mac Mini but I don't see how it could offer much improvement over the Alix.  That and the fact that I am running FLAC files and love the MPOD interface on the iPod Touch make the Alix a definite winner for me.

Thanks, Ed. I feel the same way. It offers exceptional sound quality and value, even though it's not dressed up in a machined case or has fancy displays or lights.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #298 on: 8 Feb 2011, 02:42 am »
Nope. The idea is that you can configure your Voyage MPD Alix via a web browser on another machine. Thus, no more text editing via SSH. Kinda like plugging in a Netgear router and typing 192.168.1.10 on your desktop to set it up.

In the near future I hope to see this:

1. Buy a compact flash pre-loaded with Voyage MPD from the Voyage site.

2. Pop into your Alix.

3. Log into Alix via Firefox, Safari, Explorer, etc.

4. Configure settings via point and click.

5. Listen to  music.

Sign me up!  I'd buy that in a NY minute.  What can I / we do to help it along quicker?

nl12048

« Reply #299 on: 8 Feb 2011, 10:49 am »
Sign me up!  I'd buy that in a NY minute.  What can I / we do to help it along quicker?

Is it available for testing purposes?

Mark