Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

JDUBS

Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #140 on: 17 Nov 2010, 02:02 am »
This is what I bought:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=280532918295&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=07487510469

Perfect - thanks!  One-stop shopping....just how I like it!  Plan is to use this to stream music into a EA Off-Ramp 3 w/ Superclock 4 (this converter does not require a driver to be installed, so I think I should be ok with the Alix) into my DEQX HDP-3.   Looking forward to trying it out!

-Jim

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #141 on: 17 Nov 2010, 02:19 am »
Thanks Nick!  I think I'll give the 2d2 a try.  Any good U.S. retailers besides mini-box?  They seem to be out of stock with this board.

-Jim

Try Netgate: http://store.netgate.com/

TomS

« Reply #142 on: 17 Nov 2010, 04:08 am »
Nick,

I'm finally scanning this whole thread again since it has grown and is getting updates (great work!).  It sounds like the native linux driver works fine with USB async 24/192 DAC's (usb audio class 2.0) as long as you have MPD 0.16?  With lots of XMOS hi-rez USB receiver implementations coming this looks like a great Linux option.  Snow Leopard already has support built-in, but W7 still doesn't include it yet, and I didn't know if ALSA took car of that or not.

The thought of buying a full function Mac Mini, then stripping it to the bone seems like such a waste to me, as nice as it is.  There are a lot of Mac player options now (PM, Amarra, AyreWave, etc.), so it would be really nice to know how this optimized solution compares sonically to the various Mini players/hardware.  They may have an advantage to stuff a lot more in RAM, but other than that I'm not sure what advantages there are (functionality?).  Batteries or a nice linear supply would be relatively easy too.  Sounds like a fun project!

Tom

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #143 on: 17 Nov 2010, 02:33 pm »
For USB Audio Class 2.0 on Linux you need a recent snapshot of ALSA. For most, that meant compiling the sources manually. Not too difficult on a standard desktop but it gets a bit complicated when you have embedded hardware (Alix) and a stripped down OS (voyage linux; no development or compiling tools on the compact flash)

With MPD 0.16 we get native S24_3LE support, simply meaning that 24 bit data gets sent to the DAC in its native format, i.e., does not get padded to 32 bits --which really is 24 bits anyway. See the discussions here: http://www.mail-archive.com/musicpd-dev-team@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01280.html and here: http://www.mail-archive.com/musicpd-dev-team@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01273.html

With Voyage MPD we get MPD 0.16 and recent snaphots of ALSA pre-compiled (as nice .deb packages), installed, and ready to run out of the box on a nice minimalist Linux OS that can run on x86 embedded hardware like the Alix and Soekris boards. We can also install (standard x86 option in the Voyage install script) it on standard x86 machines, e.g., the new fanless Atom boards hitting the market.

As far as Mac Minis and RAM, I've heard that tons of RAM can make it sound better to some folks. But I  wonder if that's a result of having a complete GUI desktop operating system installed on a machine just to play 2 channel music.

One last important thing: If any of you folks find that Voyage MPD sounds wonderful and becomes your defacto music server, then please support the Voyage Linux team with a small donation. The PayPal button is on the Voyage Linux home page. This initial release of Voyage MPD needs to mature over time (MPD 0.16+, and more recent snapshots of ALSA as USB Audio Class 2.0 code gets fixed and improved) and that only happens when the Voyage Linux devs sit down and get actual work done.   

There is talk of offering Voyge MPD pre-installed on compact flash directly from their main page, so that one could simply pop in the CF card and begin configuring it. Also, implementing a simple web-based configuration tool so that one would not need to edit any text files.

The way I see it, Voyage Linux and a small inexpensive ($125) Alix board has obviated the need for thousands of dollars worth of commercial hardware and software. The software is modifiable to your heart's content, and it's not beholden to any one commercial interest.

Thanks,

Nick

ashok

« Reply #144 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:56 pm »
I've been following this excellent thread from its inception, thanks to Nick for starting it.

My current solution is to use a Networked Media Tank (ioBox 100HD), with an internal 1TB hard-drive, S/PDIF output to a Keces 131.1 DAC. All the music is stored on the 1TB drive. It is a reasonable solution, but the NMT has some limitations, even with MPD installed on it.

So, I am thinking of going the ALIX route, with a USB DAC. I am comfortable with the command line and Linux, but would like to get some things straight before starting:

• Once the ALIX box is connected to my house network, I can use LIVE-CD (running on my Windows laptop, for example) to install Voyage MPD on the ALIX box. I will need to know the IP address of the ALIX box. Is this correct?
  • I am planning to use the HRT Streamer II USB DAC. Is the ALIX 2C10 USB port capable of powering the DAC without any problems? I believe the HRT needs 200mA.

I also have on my network an uNSLUng NSLU2, with a 250GB USB HD that backs up the music on the 1TB drive in the NMT. (The 250GB drive is only about half full at the moment). The plan is to make Voyage MPD access the music files stored in this 250GB drive, until funds allow investment into a more modern NAS.

Thanks very much.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #145 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:57 pm »
  • Once the ALIX box is connected to my house network, I can use LIVE-CD (running on my Windows laptop, for example) to install Voyage MPD on the ALIX box. I will need to know the IP address of the ALIX box. Is this correct?
You use the Voyage Live CD to install the OS onto your compact flash card first. Or you download the Voyage MPD tar file to a Linux machine, unpack it, and run the install script. This copies the OS to compact flash.

You would need a simple CF media reader; my $11 Atech Flash USB card reader works fine. Other examples:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007766%20600021611&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20 Or, perhaps you have a friend with a Linux box and a card reader?

Then, connect the Alix to the network and power it up. You can look up the IP address of the device on your router --at which point you might also want to configure the router give it a specific IP address (based on the Alix MAC address) whenever the Alix is on the network. Or, use something like nmap to find the IP and MAC address of the Alix on the Network: http://nmap.org/download.html

Once you know the ip address, you can log in as root and setup a regular user account. Then we configure MPD, NFS, etc.

• I am planning to use the HRT Streamer II USB DAC. Is the ALIX 2C10 USB port capable of powering the DAC without any problems? I believe the HRT needs 200mA.

I believe so. See here: http://www.pcengines.info/forums/?page=post&id=468FD5BE-C893-4F2C-AADF-5D40F7E41A75&fid=40251191-FF24-48A8-BB0E-995B04812ADE I had no trouble with my previous DAC, a Wavelength Audio Brick v2.

TomS

« Reply #146 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:05 pm »
Is it reasonable to assume the drivers that work with your Ayre QB-9 and the Wavelength Wavelink USB->S/PDIF 24/192 would work the same?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #147 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:10 pm »
Is it reasonable to assume the drivers that work with your Ayre QB-9 and the Wavelength Wavelink USB->S/PDIF 24/192 would work the same?

The Wavelength Wavelink should work just fine at 24/192 with Voyage MPD or any Linux OS that has a recent snapshot of ALSA.

ashok

« Reply #148 on: 17 Nov 2010, 09:20 pm »
You use the Voyage Live CD to install the OS onto your compact flash card first. ...

Thanks for the explanation. I do have a CF card reader, that I can use.

TomS

« Reply #149 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:29 pm »
Is there a straightforward way to mount memory sticks or usb drives locally on the other ports to allow it to function standalone (no streaming), in the same way as the new Bryston BDP1 music player/transport?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #150 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:23 pm »
Is there a straightforward way to mount memory sticks or usb drives locally on the other ports to allow it to function standalone (no streaming), in the same way as the new Bryston BDP1 music player/transport?

What kind of setup are looking to have? Are you feeding a USB DAC? Are you trying to avoid having the Alix connected to a network?

I found an official marketing/technical post regarding the BDP1 here at AC: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82098.0
And, the BDP1 uses MPD internally, but they're using some kind of PCI sound card to feed an external DAC via ..."AES-EBU Balanced and BNC (spdif)..."

I don't recommend having the USB ports being connected to a DAC *and* having external media connected. Also, the Alix 2d2 and 3d2 are headless, so you'd still need to have them on a network to control them (unless you had the tech know-how to attach a simple keypad and LCD).

TomS

« Reply #151 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:35 pm »
What kind of setup are looking to have? Are you feeding a USB DAC? Are you trying to avoid having the Alix connected to a network?

I found an official marketing/technical post regarding the BDP1 here at AC: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82098.0
And, the BDP1 uses MPD internally, but they're using some kind of PCI sound card to feed an external DAC via ..."AES-EBU Balanced and BNC (spdif)..."

I don't recommend having the USB ports being connected to a DAC *and* having external media connected. Also, the Alix 2d2 and 3d2 are headless, so you'd still need to have them on a network to control them (unless you had the tech know-how to attach a simple keypad and LCD).
Right, no sound card though, just a USB DAC so a bit different than theirs which only outputs S/PDIF externally.

I completely understand not wanting to put a local drive due to traffic/noise.  I was really thinking memory stick or SSD.  Their model is interesting in that it isn't really intended to be a file server at all, rather a music server only ( replacement for spinning CD) that doesn't necessarily contain ALL of your music.  Think of the memory stick as just a device with playlists for example.  Different playlists on different sticks.  You can attach large drives with a lot of music if you choose to as well.  It's certainly a different way of looking at it.  Yes, also MPD server runs there plus their own software so it's just looking at those local drives for music.  I think they have net/NAS somewhere in the plans.  I assume one of the net ports would provide the headless function, so you'd be always connected.  They have a local display/keypad if you're disconnected, which I wouldn't attempt.

jrebman

« Reply #152 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:35 pm »
I wonder if one of the mini PCI slots could handle a mini PCI firewire 800 interface, and then use an external 2.5" firewire drive with it?  With a usb dac such as an HRT, that takes its power from the host, you may have to use an external PS with the external drive, but even still, it should be way better than trying to use a usb dac and usb external drive.  I've done this with one of my windows machines and pulling the tunes off the network is a much better solution.  Rule of thumb: use different types of interfaces for your dac and music file storage, and don't keep your music on your system drive (which is not really a practical option on the alix anyway.

I' will certianly like to try this firewire option myself and will probably do sometime after christmas -- just too much to do between now and then.

-- Jim

TomS

« Reply #153 on: 18 Nov 2010, 04:05 pm »
Great idea Jim. Maybe use one of those Firewire drives everyone's getting for the Mini's with the Oxford chip set.

jrebman

« Reply #154 on: 18 Nov 2010, 04:14 pm »
Tom, yes, and that's what gave me the idea.  I'm using a slightly different one than Mach2 uses, but it still has the oxford chipset.  The one I have is the OWC Mercury on-the-go elite.  It's a clear acrylic case as opposed to aluminum, but it seems to work just fine.

I bought a second one to use to use to image SSDs, but once that's done, I'll give it a try with the alix.  If I recall, unibrain makes some mini-PCI firewire cards.

-- Jim

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #155 on: 18 Nov 2010, 04:44 pm »
Right, no sound card though, just a USB DAC so a bit different than theirs which only outputs S/PDIF externally.

I completely understand not wanting to put a local drive due to traffic/noise.  I was really thinking memory stick or SSD.  Their model is interesting in that it isn't really intended to be a file server at all, rather a music server only ( replacement for spinning CD) that doesn't necessarily contain ALL of your music.  Think of the memory stick as just a device with playlists for example.  Different play lists on different sticks.  You can attach large drives with a lot of music if you choose to as well.  It's certainly a different way of looking at it.  Yes, also MPD server runs there plus their own software so it's just looking at those local drives for music.  I think they have net/NAS somewhere in the plans.  I assume one of the net ports would provide the headless function, so you'd be always connected.  They have a local display/keypad if you're disconnected, which I wouldn't attempt.

I'm still, as of this moment, still reading through the BDP1 thread, so...

Yes, you can attach large drives directly to the BDP1 but, as someone in the Bryston thread pointed out, every time you rip new music onto your desktop you have to:

-- Detach the drive from the BDP1
-- Attach drive to you desktop
-- Manually copy files over, i.e., drag 'n drop this album to the appropriate artists folder. Or, use some kind of disc syncing utility which you still have to run manually.
-- Reconnect drive to BDP1
-- Tell MPD to rescan drive to update player database --which will take longer using an external USB drive

My personal method:

-- Rip CD on my desktop (which is also my NFS file server) and is  configured to place music in my mpd music folder
-- Update MPD database with any mpd cliet on the network, which takes less than 30 seconds
-- Listen to music

A few other thoughts:

The Alix is not a file server. It's a headless transport for USB DAC's. I do believe that having the media separate from the Alix, i.e., galvanically isolated via the ethernet, is the more elegant and proper approach.

"Think of the memory stick as just a device with playlists for example." No, the memory sticks don't have "play lists". I'm not trying to be pedantic but these details matter. Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playlist

From what I understand, the BDP1 accepts actual music (WAV, FLAC, etc) via USB key --not play lists. A "play lists" is mere a text file specifying the order in which music is played and their location.

Would one really want a bunch of USB keys lying around? How would you keep track of what's one one 4GB flash key? And then navigate the flash key using a small 2 line display? I could see how it might be useful to have a friend come over with a bunch of music, but one of my friends came over once and we just copied his USB key to my desktop, updated MPD, and hit the play button.

And, wouldn't a VFD display possibly add unnecessary EMI/RFI to the device? I remember reading about Ayre using a very costly non-multiplexed display in their flagship  KX-R preamp; ten times the cost of a regular display, if I remember correctly. Seems like the display and buttons have very limited use and functionality.

I'm curious to know which CPU board the Bryston is using. Though, I would not be surprised if it was PC Engines based. True industrial quality x86 boards are astronomically priced.

Other random thoughts:

I have been thinking/sketching out an idea/prototype for an Alix or other headless x86 embedded board with a built is SSD. Or, an Alix 2d2 with a minimalist SSD/NAS attached to the 2d2's second ethernet port. Comments? Suggestions?

I have a new Amazon Kindle with WiFi. Trying to figure out using it as a simple MPD client. I'm excited about this because I love to listen to music with the lights turned way down and find back-lit devices very annoying and irritating. Comments? Suggestions?

TomS

« Reply #156 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:00 pm »
Nick,

Yes, that is obviously correct on the playlists, as I mis-spoke trying to make the point.

Since I own a BDA1 I looked long and hard at the BDP1 too.  It his its place but all of the things you mentioned have been considerations for me as well.  I was thinking of the local drive option more as a convenience factor, not primary music function.  No big deal to me.

I think using the second Ethernet port is probably more in line with what I would do as well.  I just hate having to depend on another server computer all the time.  I have a ratty, VERY old Dell laptop running SqueezeCenter.  The LCD display is already dead, it looks really cranky, and I'm sure one of these days it'll just give it up.

I just ordered up the same PC Engines board/kit as Ebag4 so unfortunately you're going to have to endure my questions as I get Voyage and MPD fired up  :duh:

Tom

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #157 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:06 pm »
I just ordered up the same PC Engines board/kit as Ebag4 so unfortunately you're going to have to endure my questions as I get Voyage and MPD fired up  :duh:

Tom,

No worries. I'll do my best to help get you up and running.

Nick

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #158 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:12 pm »
Nick,

Since I own a BDA1 I looked long and hard at the BDP1 too.  It his its place but all of the things you mentioned have been considerations for me as well.  I was thinking of the local drive option more as a convenience factor, not primary music function.  No big deal to me.

Tom,

I forgot to mention that I also wanted to experiment with using a mini-PCI USB adapted connected to the Alix 2d2 or 3d2. With a real-time kernel, this might be the ticket for having USB drive and USB DAC connected to one Alix making it a one box solution. Though, you'd still need a network for controlling the Alix.

How does that sound?

TomS

« Reply #159 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:06 pm »
Tom,

I forgot to mention that I also wanted to experiment with using a mini-PCI USB adapted connected to the Alix 2d2 or 3d2. With a real-time kernel, this might be the ticket for having USB drive and USB DAC connected to one Alix making it a one box solution. Though, you'd still need a network for controlling the Alix.

How does that sound?

Yes, sounds good.

Actually, I've always thought a true real time OS would be the way to go if you want to ensure highest priority for a peripheral.  Jam the whole song into memory and do nothing but process that and transfer it right out the port.  I used to work with and sell Intel's RMX (Realtime Multitasking eXecutive) OS many years ago and it worked great for embedded apps and shop floor control kinds of stuff we did.  Very easy to use and lots of tools, even back in the day.  I'm not sure what modern equivalents are though or whether it's worth the trouble but the lighter weight the better IMHO.