***X-LS Extravaganza***

uncola

Re: ***X-LS Extravaganza***
« Reply #200 on: 17 Dec 2020, 09:37 am »
the gopro view is really helpful!  you have me on the fence about ordering your plywood flat packs  :lol:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #201 on: 17 Dec 2020, 04:04 pm »
I just uploaded a video introducing Baltic Birch as an option and giving a head mounted GoPro a whirl.
https://youtu.be/-cPJ0oQ68lw
Another great video, Peter! The go pro really makes for a great perspective on the assembly process!

lacro

« Reply #202 on: 17 Dec 2020, 07:02 pm »
Nice work Peter, as always.. I like the look of exposed plys on BB or ApplePly. I used the method on my garage boom box:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #203 on: 25 Jun 2021, 08:42 pm »
Getting further down my long road, I've been messing around with finishing possibilities on the Baltic Birch cabinets. These have Satinwood veneer and an experiment with coloring. Learned a few things, but that's kinda why I do it anyway.

I've always thought binding post cups were a compromise. Take a solid cabinet, cut a big hole in it and fill that hole with flimsy, probably resonant, plastic. Here's a solution I've devised to do away with the big hole and fit a decent binding post in the same hole a Tube Connector. These are Delrin bushings, a tough non-conductive polymer. I proud to say they're made in the USA, too. Delrin is actually a brand name, the generic name is Acetal.

Since the beginning, I've offered a choice of backs on X-LS, which means I stock twice as many backs so I can accommodate people's desires. The majority of flat packs I sell have tube connectors so this would give folks a choice and I don't have to cut and stock two different backs. I can see other possibilities for their use, but before I place a big order, I'd be curious to get feedback from the good folks here. They'd sell for $36 and are cut to specifically fit this binding post although they might fit others designed for 1/4" mounting hole.
 https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-BPA-38G-HD-Binding-Post-Pair-Gold-091-1245

Skilly

« Reply #204 on: 25 Jun 2021, 08:57 pm »
Peter,

Love the veneer work but I have to admit, the coloring may be just a bit outside my comfort zone. I do like your solution for the binding posts. My question is, from Danny's view, is the gold plate enough? Is there ferromagnetic materials underneath the gold plate?  Would the gold plate sufficiently overcome the problems with steel in the path?

Scott

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #205 on: 25 Jun 2021, 09:01 pm »
Is that $36 for 2 pairs?  Seems like a good idea but not as cost saving as one might hope.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #206 on: 25 Jun 2021, 09:26 pm »
Peter,

Love the veneer work but I have to admit, the coloring may be just a bit outside my comfort zone. I do like your solution for the binding posts. My question is, from Danny's view, is the gold plate enough? Is there ferromagnetic materials underneath the gold plate?  Would the gold plate sufficiently overcome the problems with steel in the path?

Scott

The posts and tabs are gold plated brass, the washers and nuts gold plated steel. Presumably, if someone objects to this, they would opt for tube connectors anyway. Bear in mind, the standard binding post Danny offers is unplated brass and steel, so the Dayton would be a significant step up in quality.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #207 on: 25 Jun 2021, 09:32 pm »
Is that $36 for 2 pairs?  Seems like a good idea but not as cost saving as one might hope.

$36 for 4 bushings and 4 washers. Enough for two speakers or four binding posts. I could probably get them made outside US and use lesser plastic, but it's not my preference. Also, I'd have to purchase thousands compared to hundreds.

EdwardT

« Reply #208 on: 27 Jun 2021, 12:00 am »
I like them, it gives me ideas about an enhanced desktop mini build.

Skilly

« Reply #209 on: 27 Jun 2021, 12:26 am »
I can't help but wonder what this does to the LGK 2.0? Is that the next speaker announcement? Will that speaker have the same uses as this speaker?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #210 on: 6 Jul 2021, 02:34 pm »
Rob sent me photos of his build using my flat pack. Veneer is Cypress, whitewashed, Arm-R-Seal, then polished. A gift for his brother-in-law. Pretty cool, huh?

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #211 on: 6 Jul 2021, 03:13 pm »
What is the “pad” that they are sitting on?

hawkeyejw

« Reply #212 on: 6 Jul 2021, 04:33 pm »
Those remind me of one of the original X-series finishes from AV-123. They look nice.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #213 on: 7 Jul 2021, 03:20 am »
Rob sent me photos of his build using my flat pack. Veneer is Cypress, whitewashed, Arm-R-Seal, then polished. A gift for his brother-in-law. Pretty cool, huh?

Absolutely stunning Encores. Lucky brother in law. Sound and looks both stunning. :)

Rob Gremley

« Reply #214 on: 22 Jul 2021, 10:13 pm »
Peter, thanks for posting these picks.  This build was the first time I've used your flat pack for the X-LS Encore's.  The quality of the MDF and the fit of the cabinet were perfect.  Thanks for giving me a great "foundation" to build these on.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #215 on: 7 Aug 2021, 03:20 pm »
Thanks for the memories and music, Eddie. My nod to your legacy.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #216 on: 7 Aug 2021, 07:34 pm »
What do y'all think I should do with this funky veneer?

EdwardT

« Reply #217 on: 8 Aug 2021, 11:40 am »
Hey, really nice Eruption Encores there! That's some wild veneer that looks like a little will go a long way or suited for use in an industrial themed cab, maybe as borders for a copper inlay panel.

RonP

« Reply #218 on: 8 Aug 2021, 02:06 pm »
Thanks for the memories and music, Eddie. My nod to your legacy.

A+ work as always Peter

mzbrahce

« Reply #219 on: 8 Aug 2021, 03:54 pm »
Use that veneer for speaker sides, with rest of speaker, baffle, back, top and bottom all black...or the cream color or green from the veneer.