ModWright Instruments: SWL 9.0 Linestage Release Notes!

guest1632

Re: Replies
« Reply #80 on: 31 Oct 2004, 09:26 pm »
Quote from: modwright
Gain is high due to the nature of tubes and tube circuits.  A cathode follower circuit offers no gain, but doesn't sound that great.  We are using a mu-stage circuit and it pretty much maximizes the gain of the tube.  We use a low-mu tube, but the gain is still relatively high.  Ultimatley it comes down to sound and I just really l like the sound of this circuit.  We may take steps to pad this down a bit.

Thanks on the aesthetics issue.  I don't know if I have a keen eye or not ;), but I know what looks  ...

nature boy

« Reply #81 on: 31 Oct 2004, 09:38 pm »
Dan,

I too would be interested if you would consider Chris's V-Cap offerings in your SE designs.  I am hearing a lot of good things from my "soldering audiofool friends" about these capacitors.  

Maybe you could get some trial caps from Chris to try them out? :idea:

NB

modwright

V-Caps
« Reply #82 on: 1 Nov 2004, 06:46 am »
Hi, I have tried the V-Caps and I agree that they are excellent.  I am actually planning to use capacitors from Sonic Craft for the unit.  The main output coupling caps will be Sonicaps and I will likely be using their Platinum (Teflon) caps for bypassing the mains outs and will be using the teflon caps in an interstage signal path application also.  This is being done for the SE version only.  The basic units will use regular Sonicaps in both applications only.

The SE version will also use almost exclusively, Solen poly caps in the power supply in lieu of electrolytics.  The main PS filter cap, after the choke will be an electrolytic, but the remainder of the B+ filter caps will be poly caps - largely Solen.  The basic unit will use smaller 'lytics in similar applications.  

Using the choke in the power supply the way we do allows for both current regulation and VERY good ripple rejection.  This allows for the use of smaller and higher quality caps in the power supply which makes for better sound.

All signal path caps are high-quality poly caps (Sonicap, Auricap or equal), with Sonicap Platinum teflon caps being used in the SE version.  I may also use Jensen PIO copper foil caps in the final bypass.  I need to do a final listening comparison.

Sonics are given top priority, don't worry.

I am striving to offer the best possible sound without using rediculously expensive parts.  It just isn't feasible to use some parts without charging A LOT more for the units than we are.  I do plan, however, to offer some upgrades (aftermarket) for those who want to max out their units.  It is my goal to produce a unit that many people can afford and that offers a level of performance that they would not expect to get without spending many thousands more.

Thanks,

Dan

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #83 on: 1 Nov 2004, 07:39 am »
Dan,
    You have it all covered:[/list:u]
      Quality :) [/list:u]
        Price :) [/list:u]
          Service :) [/list:u]
            The three most important things for a business to survive and prosper. [/list:u]
              You can never go wrong with that....thanks !! :thumb: [/list:u]

guest1632

Re: V-Caps
« Reply #84 on: 1 Nov 2004, 12:07 pm »
Hi, I have tried the V-Caps and I agree that they are excellent.  I am actually planning to use capacitors from Sonic Craft for the unit.  The main output coupling caps will be Sonicaps and I will likely be using their Platinum (Teflon) caps for bypassing the mains outs and will be using the teflon caps in an interstage signal path application also.  This is being done for the SE version only.  The basic units will use regular Sonicaps in both applications only.

The SE version will also use almost exclus ...

vpolineni

« Reply #85 on: 1 Nov 2004, 02:43 pm »
Ray,
   dan offers versions of a "se +"... it just depends on the customer.  For example,  I ordered my unit with blackgate capactiors in the power supply for an extra cost..

guest1632

« Reply #86 on: 1 Nov 2004, 03:00 pm »
Quote from: vpolineni
Ray,
   dan offers versions of a "se +"... it just depends on the customer.  For example,  I ordered my unit with blackgate capactiors in the power supply for an extra cost..

vpolineni

« Reply #87 on: 1 Nov 2004, 03:13 pm »
i'll let you know when I have received it.   :D .

Dan, does the preamp come with a detachable power cord?  do you recommend using the power cord you supply or an aftermarket one?

guest1632

« Reply #88 on: 1 Nov 2004, 03:25 pm »
i'll let you know when I have received it.   :D .

Dan, does the preamp come with a detachable power cord?  do you recommend using the power cord you supply or an aftermarket one?

vpolineni

« Reply #89 on: 1 Nov 2004, 03:28 pm »
Ray,  
  I chose blackgates because I know they are a high quality capacitor and more importnatly because they are ceasing production soon and I wanted to have a chance to have them before it's too late.

guest1632

« Reply #90 on: 1 Nov 2004, 03:36 pm »
Ray,  
  I chose blackgates because I know they are a high quality capacitor and more importnatly because they are ceasing production soon and I wanted to have a chance to have them before it's too late.

modwright

Thank you all...
« Reply #91 on: 1 Nov 2004, 09:31 pm »
Thank you for the kind words.  I agree that a few simple things should certainly spell success for a small business.  I just run the business the way I feel that it should be run.  I can't claim to be perfect and I have made mistakes, ;), but I am also man enough to admit them when I do.

I am proud of this product and expect that people will really enjoy it.

The power cord IS detachable and we will be supplying a generic cord with the stock units.  I may offer recommended upgrade cords that we represent.  For now, I just want to get the product to market.

We do offer a basic and SE version.  I thought about offering further upgrade options, but I don't want to confuse customers with too many versions.  I will of course offer custom upgrades upon request, but I don't want to market a dozen different flavors of our product.  I do plan on offering future upgrade packages, including but not limited to, an upgraded outboard supply, etc.

Black Gate caps are being discontinued and this is a drag.  High-voltage Black Gate caps are VERY expensive, many being well over $100 per capacitor?!  They do make a big difference though and I am going to be stocking some of  them for special upgrades.  There is only one electrolytic cap in the SE supply and this cap handles the main DC filtering, after the choke.  The remainder of the decoupling caps in the PS circuits are poly caps (SE version only).

I am also investigating the upgrade of Goldpoint stereo stepped attenuators - true ladder types, not series attenuators.  These are COSTLY however, like the Black Gates, so it would be hard to offer a 'Platinum' or 'SE+' version, without the price seeming way out of wack.

First things first...I just want to get the product to market at a reasonable price.  I want to get it reviewed and earn the market's respect.

Thanks,

Dan W.

nature boy

« Reply #92 on: 1 Nov 2004, 10:00 pm »
Dan, add patience to one of your business virtures.

Ain't we an incurable finicky bunch?  Just an observation and I am looking in the mirror too.  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Best of luck with delivery of your highly anticipated linestage.  Hopefully, your selected shipper will be careful, otherwise there may be some public displays of  :cry: .

NB

Chris_B

« Reply #93 on: 1 Nov 2004, 10:08 pm »
Dan - I am really looking forward to the pre.  Down the road, I would seriously consider upgrading to a higher quality attenuator.  Show us a good upgrade path with real value and I am sure many will take you up on it.

guest1632

Re: Thank you all...
« Reply #94 on: 1 Nov 2004, 10:31 pm »
Thank you for the kind words.  I agree that a few simple things should certainly spell success for a small business.  I just run the business the way I feel that it should be run.  I can't claim to be perfect and I have made mistakes, ;), but I am also man enough to admit them when I do.

I am proud of this product and expect that people will really enjoy it.

The power cord IS detachable and we will be supplying a generic cord with the stock units.  I may offer recommended upgrade cords that we represe ...

modwright

« Reply #95 on: 2 Nov 2004, 01:07 am »
First of all, we are having custom packing made for the unit and are going to use polyethalene(sp?), no styrofoam.  Additionally, the boxes will be double-wall or at least heavy duty.  I am well aware of how the various shippers treat audio gear and none of them treat it well :).

The main electrolytic IS already bypassed with a .1uf cap, but it might also be worthwhile to bypass it with a 1uf poly.

I will offer an attractive upgrade path and will support the product well.

I have not really had the opportunity to compare it to the Dehaveland (sp?) or many others, but beta customers have compared it to such as the CAT Ultimate, Wytech Opal, Levinson and similar.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

Shipping Status of Production Units.
« Reply #96 on: 22 Nov 2004, 10:12 pm »
I have just heard from the machine shop that chassis will be complete early next week.  Packing materials are going to be complete before Turkey Day and the PCB's will be here by then too.

Aside from a few small details, the first units will be shipping very soon.

Introductory Pricing is as follows:

SWL 9.0 = $1399
SWL 9.0SE = $1899.

The first fifty units will be sold at introductory price.  There will be a price increase for the next production run.  I will also be including R/C volume in the Std. model at add'l cost, but this way all units will have R/C volume and you will not have to buy the SE unit to have this option.

Those interested in R/C volume for the SWL 9.0 Std. only need ask.  I believe this will add $150 to the price.  This is not inclusive of the overall price increase, still TBD.

We have spent extra $ and had custom plastic foam packing materials made specifically for this unit.  We also specified double-wall boxes, so we will not need to double-box and the packaging will survive re-shipping quite well.  I want our gear to be around and enjoyed for a long time and don't want to have them trashed by DHL, UPS, FedEx, USPS...you name it.

I am also experimenting with some balanced output options.  The design is SE only, not differential, but I am working with different high-quality transformer coupled output designs, using Jensen, Sowter or customer Electraprint audio transformers, to give a true balanced output.  This will be an aftermarket option and pricing is still TBD. I just wanted to let people know, who want/need a balanced out, that this will be made available.

I have also ordered soem high-voltage Black Gate WKZ power caps as upgrade options.  These items will not initially be listed on the website as I don't want to confuse the market with too many options, but these will be available upon request at additional cost.

I will be having professional photos taken of the finished product and two new websites will be made.  ModWright LLC's main website - www.modwright.com will be redone.  There will also be a website for ModWright Instruments, mfr.of our own products.

Please check back for future announcements.

Dan W.

Chris_B

« Reply #97 on: 22 Nov 2004, 10:28 pm »
Dan - when do you think you will be shipping - 1 December or more like 15 December?  I won't hold you to it but a general idea would be helpful.

thanks,

Chris

modwright

Ship Date
« Reply #98 on: 23 Nov 2004, 05:19 pm »
I hope to ship the first units by Dec. 1, but more will be shipping by Dec. 15.  It really is down to just assembly at this point.

How much interest is there in a balanced output option?  By this, I don't mean XLR jacks wired SE, but actually adding line-level output transformers (Jensen, Sowter or custom Electraprint) to create an actual differential out?  This would be an option that would only be available factory direct or after-market...i.e. not available through our dealers.  This would be done to keep the cost of the  upgrade down.  I would expect it to cost in the range of $400-$500, based on the high-cost of good quality transfomers.

Thanks,

Dan W.

guest1632

Re: Ship Date
« Reply #99 on: 23 Nov 2004, 09:38 pm »
I hope to ship the first units by Dec. 1, but more will be shipping by Dec. 15.  It really is down to just assembly at this point.

How much interest is there in a balanced output option?  By this, I don't mean XLR jacks wired SE, but actually adding line-level output transformers (Jensen, Sowter or custom Electraprint) to create an actual differential out?  This would be an option that would only be available factory direct or after-market...i.e. not available through our dealers.  This would be done to  ...