ModWright Instruments: SWL 9.0 Linestage Release Notes!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #120 on: 17 Dec 2004, 06:03 am »
Hello Dan,
    Congrats on the new preamp !! Where's that first one going ? Thanks ! :thumb: [/list:u]

modwright

First Unit
« Reply #121 on: 18 Dec 2004, 03:06 am »
The first unit went to one of my dealers:

Audible Arts - www.audiblearts.com - in San Jose.  Jeff Wells, owner has been a very good supporter of our product and the order was urgent.

Another five units are on my bench being built today.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

Preamp Production.
« Reply #122 on: 25 Dec 2004, 02:56 am »
Three units have been delivered so far.  Work is accelerating on the first production run.  About 25 units are already spoken for, out of the first run of fifty.  Those intereseted in purchasing, should contact us soon, as the price WILL inrease after the first fity unit run is sold.  Final costs have come out higher than expected and prices will have to be increased to reflect this and enable us to continue to produce them.

We will have two units at CES that will be auctioned and a unit will also be reviewed VERY soon.

We are going to be showing at CES with our SWL 9.0SE preamp driving Dusty's VMB-100 digital monoblocks (Production Version - revised since the CO show). I just received the amps today and have to say that they are simply exceptional.  Dusty's amps are going to make a serious impression!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Dan W.

modwright

First Feedback!
« Reply #123 on: 28 Dec 2004, 05:32 pm »
Well, the feedback is starting to come in from the very first SWL 9.0 Production preamp customers.  Following is feedback from a local customer who was also a VERY early Beta tester and has heard the various versions of the Beta units and now owns the SWL 9.0 Production unit.  He upgraded to the standard SWL 9.0 and now HAS to have the SE.

Following are his thoughts about the SWL 9.0 Production unit:

...I have 50+ hours on this thing and I keep waiting for a weakness - there is none.  This thing is way over the top.  I think you could price it anywhere you wanted and it would still be a steal.  I hope you have a plan in place for when word gets out and it gets reviewed...

We are building them as fast as possible and are filling preorders and Beta Customer upgrades first.

A unit will get into the Revewers Circuit as soon as possible too.

Thanks,

Dan W.

lonewolfny42

Re: First Feedback!
« Reply #124 on: 28 Dec 2004, 05:35 pm »
Quote from: modwright
Well, the feedback is starting to come in from the very first SWL 9.0 Production preamp customers.  Following is feedback from a local customer who was also a VERY early Beta tester and has heard the various versions of the Beta units and now owns the SWL 9.0 Production unit.  He upgraded to the standard SWL 9.0 and now HAS to have the SE.

Following are his thoughts about the SWL 9.0 Production unit:

...I have 50+ hours on this thing and I keep waiting for a weakness - there is none.  This thing ...
Excellent feedback Dan !! Would you know what equipement is in this person's system ? Thanks !!
    Chris[/list:u]

modwright

Feedback
« Reply #125 on: 28 Dec 2004, 08:28 pm »
I will have to get an exact list from him, but I know that he is using a BAT SS amp, our tube-modified Sony 9000ES and I believe Legacy speakers, but I would have to check on exact models.

Thanks,

Dan

hlopato

Modwright Linestage
« Reply #126 on: 31 Dec 2004, 07:19 pm »
Hi Dan,

As you know, I am in New York City and have one of the first SEs on order.  I would be more than happy to have a few people over to audition the unit.  I am sure my equipment is up to the task, so have anyone in the area contact me after delivery (hoping maybe this offer will speed things up, just kidding) and we can come up with a mutually convenient time to audition the Line Stage.

Herb Lopato

modwright

Ship Date...
« Reply #127 on: 1 Jan 2005, 06:26 am »
Hi Herb, I will be shipping to you following CES actually :).  I have my prioritized ship list, based on date of order, etc.  Yours is in the next hanful that will be built while I am at CES.

We are actually taking three units to CES also.  I anticipated taking two for our room - one for static display (open) and the other for use in our listening room.  We have just today, agreed to provide source and preamp for two systems in a VERY high-profile room at the show.

One of the preamps going to the show is already spoken for, but the other three will be available.  I don't plan to ship any of them back here, so they will either be sold at the show, auctioned at the CES Audiogon auction or will be sent to customers who just can't wait until I return to work to get their units ;).

I would DEFINITELY appreciate your hosting a listening session with our new preamp.  I really appreciate that.  I expect that you will have a unit no  later than the 15-20th of Jan.  I return to work on the 11th and will be shipping units that week.  In additoin to those going to the show, I hope to have another five or more built while I am gone.

Thanks,

Dan W.

lonewolfny42

Re: Modwright Linestage
« Reply #128 on: 1 Jan 2005, 06:35 am »
Quote from: hlopato
Hi Dan,

As you know, I am in New York City and have one of the first SEs on order.  I would be more than happy to have a few people over to audition the unit.  I am sure my equipment is up to the task, so have anyone in the area contact me after delivery (hoping maybe this offer will speed things up, just kidding) and we can come up with a mutually convenient time to audition the Line Stage.

Herb Lopato
Hello Herb,
    When your ready, you might post your invite in the
NY Audio Rave circle. Thanks !! :) [/list:u]
    Chris[/list:u]

modwright

Pictures
« Reply #129 on: 1 Jan 2005, 06:57 am »
I have just had some great professional photos of the preamp done by a talented artist/friend.  I have not posted them on my website yet, but Bill Baker, owner of Response Audio, is a dealer of ours and he has posted a great site with the pix.

Please check link: http://www.responseaudio.com/modwright%20linestage.htm

Thanks Bill!  Great job on the site!

Dan W.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #130 on: 1 Jan 2005, 02:37 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Dan.

That being said, I think I should get mine before any of your customers.....(okay, just kidding :lol: )

The preamp looks great and your photographer did an excellent job! We will try to be paitent while awaiting dilevery. I am sure it will be well worth the wait. Good luck at CES Dan and of course, Happy New Year to everyone and their families here at the circle!!!

hlopato

Modwright Linestage
« Reply #131 on: 1 Jan 2005, 03:33 pm »
Chris,

I will be more than happy to post on the NY Audio Rave circle.  I have a Sony SCD 1 (not with Dan's mods, I really do have to get it out to him soon), a PA1/PA3 Monolithic Power Supply DAC with Dan's mods, currently Dan's prototype Linestage, and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor loudspeakers.

For home theater I have a Lexicon MC 12 and a Bryston 9B THX amp.  I also use the same amp in my 2 channel setup.

For anyone into headphones (which I use a lot late at night in an apartment) I have Stax Lambda Signature phones with their tube amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD600 driven by a Musical Fidelity tube amp with separate power supply.  For analogue I have a Merrill Heirloom turntable, Shure V15 cartridge and Musical Fidelity phono stage.

Anyone wanting to bring other equipment is certainly welcome.

Herb

Nick V

« Reply #132 on: 1 Jan 2005, 07:33 pm »
This preamp looks like quite the incredible value. I am currently considering the purchase of a slightly used VTL 2.5 preamp, would I be correct to assume that the SWL-9.0 would put it to shame?

Just wondering if it's even worth pulling the trigger on that VTL if vastly superior performance can be had for only slightly more money?

modwright

VTL 2.5 Vs. SWL 9.0SE
« Reply #133 on: 2 Jan 2005, 06:07 pm »
Well, I haven't heard the VTL 2.5 unit and thus haven't been able to do a direct comparison, but others who have compared our unit to big $$$ gear, has said that it easily competes in the $5K - $6K + range.  I have no qualms saying that it offers Class A performance, but have not had the chance personally to do a lot of comparisons.

I did just check out the info on VTL's site, as well as reading the reviews.  Wayne Donnelly compares it to the Audible Illusions 3A and clearly prefers the VTL.  I compared ours to the 3A and found the 3A warm and pleasant, but not as accurate, involing or true to the music as our early Beta unit.  The production SE units are at an entirely different level.

The reviews of the VTL unit describe it as a great value, etc.  Or unit has simply been descirbed as excellent...period.

I will leave it at that.  Based on what I have read, I believe that ours would handily beat the VTL, but I won't make a firm claim that I can't backup with my own ears.

I can say that our unit is clearly better built and better looking however, based on the pics I saw on VTL's site.

Not sure what you would be paying for the VTL, but if you are interested in buying one of our units, I would encourage you to do so soon as the first 50 units are going fast and there will be approx. a 15% increase in price after these are sold.

Thanks,

Dan W.

guest1632

Re: VTL 2.5 Vs. SWL 9.0SE
« Reply #134 on: 8 Jan 2005, 02:07 am »
Quote from: modwright
Well, I haven't heard the VTL 2.5 unit and thus haven't been able to do a direct comparison, but others who have compared our unit to big $$$ gear, has said that it easily competes in the $5K - $6K + range.  I have no qualms saying that it offers Class A performance, but have not had the chance personally to do a lot of comparisons.

I did just check out the info on VTL's site, as well as reading the reviews.  Wayne Donnelly compares it to the Audible Illusions 3A and clearly prefers the VTL.  I compared  ...

Hi Dan, Just curious have you looked in to the use of these VCaps. Bill baker sure likes 'em, and you read the reviews, one that sums them up: "They don’t expose me to the music; they expose the music to me." That's quite a statement to mkae for an electronic part.

Ray

modwright

SWL 9.0SE
« Reply #135 on: 11 Jan 2005, 08:36 am »
I have compared our Beta unit to the 3A and found ours to be more dynamic, detailed and more musical.

I am using Sonicap Platinum Teflon caps in our SE version.

Just got back from the show and am going to be taking a couple of days off to recover.

Thanks,

Dan

lonewolfny42

« Reply #136 on: 11 Jan 2005, 08:43 am »
Dan,
    Concerning the show....how did it go ? Thanks !![/list:u]Chris

modwright

The Show
« Reply #137 on: 11 Jan 2005, 10:22 pm »
The show went very well.  Our preamp and modified player were well received in our room as well as in the Pipe Dreams room.  They were going to use Burmester gear, but that fell through for some reason at the last minue and we wound up supplying them with player (Sony 999ES with Plat. Sig. Truth mods) and SWL 9.0SE preamp.  Channel Islands Audio supplied their D-100 Class D monoblocks.

The result was a huge success for them and many people found their room to be exceptionand one of the best at Alexis park :).

I am happy and felt that the show was a huge success for us.

Dan

lonewolfny42

« Reply #138 on: 11 Jan 2005, 10:28 pm »
Thanks Dan...hope you got a lot of new orders ! Were you using the GreyBeard speakers ? Thanks.. :)

modwright

The Show
« Reply #139 on: 13 Jan 2005, 02:11 am »
The show was great and we did well.

We were using Greybeard KB/2/W speakers.

Thanks,

Dan