ModWright Instruments: SWL 9.0 Linestage Release Notes!

modwright

Black Faceplate
« Reply #160 on: 28 Mar 2005, 07:21 pm »
There will be no add'l cost if the unit is ordered in Black vs. Silver, but to replace the existing silver face with black will cost more as I have to have them special made.  I am still trying to determine demand in black vs. silver.

I will post pix in black as soon as I am able.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #161 on: 28 Apr 2005, 11:24 pm »
Hey......wait a minute. Put me down for a black face plate if you are having some made up. I will swap out the face on the unit I have.

guest1632

« Reply #162 on: 29 Apr 2005, 04:19 am »
Quote from: ted_b
Ray,
Since you included no smilies or anything I guess your post was serious.  Really?  

Dan typo'd on the "balck".  He of course meant black!

Ted

Hi Ted, Yes, I am totally blind. So was just curious as to this volcanization process, what it was.

Ray

modwright

Blakc Faceplate
« Reply #163 on: 29 Apr 2005, 10:42 pm »
We DO have a handful of black faceplates made up.  I will photograph a unit so that I can get some feedback on the look.  I like the look, but find the hard-machined graphics to be almost invisible.  The relief lettering looks good on the silver, but just sort of disappears on the black.  The knobs are also still silver, as are the switches.  Photo to come soon.

Thanks,

Dan W.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #164 on: 3 May 2005, 02:07 pm »
Dan,

I would like my letters etched on black face and filled with Sterling Silver. :mrgreen:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #165 on: 3 May 2005, 02:23 pm »
Good Idea woodsyi But I want mine filled with solid gold and then polished to a hi luster. Picture it :idea:

Actaully, filling the machined area with something offering good contrast is not a bad idea but not something I think would be feasible from a production standpoint.

guest1632

Re: Blakc Faceplate
« Reply #166 on: 12 May 2005, 10:25 am »
Quote from: modwright
We DO have a handful of black faceplates made up.  I will photograph a unit so that I can get some feedback on the look.  I like the look, but find the hard-machined graphics to be almost invisible.  The relief lettering looks good on the silver, but just sort of disappears on the black.  The knobs are also still silver, as are the switches.  Photo to come soon.

Thanks,

Dan W.

What about the black faceplate with contrasting white lettering or maybe an off-white like a tan lettering? Hey, what do I know, lol just a blind guy offering some color suggestions.

Ray

guest1632

Re: Color input...
« Reply #167 on: 15 May 2005, 10:43 pm »
Hi Ray, thanks for your input ;).

I am going to explore possibilities for a 'fancy' finish for the faceplate, but it will likely only be available for a 'Limited Edition' unit, should we offer such.  Believe it or not, machining of the faceplate is a LARGE portion of the production cost of the unit.  The machining and the high-quality signal path components, caps and resistors, account for A LOT of the build cost.

I am considering offering a Limited Edition version in the future, with top quality step ...

Hi Dan, Have you tried those "Vcaps" from Cris, at VH audio yet? Just curious what were your findings?

Ray

modwright

V-Caps
« Reply #168 on: 16 May 2005, 06:09 am »
I did try the V-caps and found they were very good.  I also used the Sonicap Platinum Teflon caps and found that I preferred the Sonicaps.  We use the Sonicaps througout our preamp.

Thanks,

Dan

guest1632

Re: V-Caps
« Reply #169 on: 16 May 2005, 06:52 am »
I did try the V-caps and found they were very good.  I also used the Sonicap Platinum Teflon caps and found that I preferred the Sonicaps.  We use the Sonicaps througout our preamp.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan, So Not sure how to phrase this question, but what did 't the Vcaps do for you that the sonicaps did. Did you first burn in the VCaps? I read there is like Blackgate they both take a long time do burn in.

Ray

modwright

V-Caps vs. Sonicaps.
« Reply #170 on: 16 May 2005, 04:23 pm »
They are both quite good, I just felt that the Sonicaps fit the voicing of our unit better.  The V-Caps are a phenomenal product also, I just slightly preferred the Sonicaps for our product.

Thanks,

Dan w.

modwright

V-Caps vs. Sonicaps.
« Reply #171 on: 16 May 2005, 04:24 pm »
They are both quite good, I just felt that the Sonicaps fit the voicing of our unit better.  The V-Caps are a phenomenal product also, I just slightly preferred the Sonicaps for our product.

Thanks,

Dan w.

guest1632

Re: V-Caps vs. Sonicaps.
« Reply #172 on: 17 May 2005, 12:07 am »

Thanks,

Dan w.

Hi Dan, Thanks, but can you be more specific? Maybe, what did the Sonicaps do right, that you felt the VCaps lacked? That probably isn't the best way of phrasing that question. Did you break in the Vcaps first before trying them? It always intriques me when a manufacturer built a product of the hows and whys. So pardon my nosiness.

Ray

modwright

Cap comparisions.
« Reply #173 on: 17 May 2005, 04:51 am »
I guess I would have to say that I just liked them better.  I didn't get too analytical about it, I simply preferred their sound.  Sorry for not being more specific :).

Dan

guest1632

Re: Cap comparisions.
« Reply #174 on: 17 May 2005, 06:51 am »
I guess I would have to say that I just liked them better.  I didn't get too analytical about it, I simply preferred their sound.  Sorry for not being more specific :).

Dan

Hi Dan, did you burn in those VCaps? I've read they are not bad in the beginning, but they have a long burnin time.

Ray

modwright

Burn in
« Reply #175 on: 17 May 2005, 04:45 pm »
I did burn them in and I agree that they are fantastic.

Dan

modwright

Burn in
« Reply #176 on: 17 May 2005, 04:45 pm »

Dan

guest1632

Re: Burn in
« Reply #177 on: 17 May 2005, 11:56 pm »

Dan

Hi Dan, Well, your post are being reproduced twice. So what was the character that the sonicaps seem to do better at then the VCaps. If I ever had the chance to buy one of these little jules, the Preamp I mean, it would be nice to have some sort of idea of what to expect from these two types of caps. I realize to some extent I'm trying to pin you down a little. Sorryy about that. I would think others would want to know too.

Ray

merc

« Reply #178 on: 18 May 2005, 03:42 am »
How does the price of the V-Caps compare to the equivalent Sonicaps?

I wasn't aware how much Caps cost until I looked at the V-Caps site...  :o

They better be really, really fantastic for that much money? Or, are all good audio caps that expensive?

modwright

Cap Prices
« Reply #179 on: 18 May 2005, 05:10 pm »
Teflon caps are not cheap.  The only way that an OEM can use them is to order in quantity to get prices down.

Good caps are expensive - no doubt.  The caps in the preamp account for a good portion of the cost to build the unit.

Dan