ModWright Instruments: SWL 9.0 Linestage Release Notes!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #140 on: 14 Jan 2005, 07:53 pm »
I noticed on Audiogon that one of AC's members, jcoat007, won the new ModWright SWL-9 preamp (the after show model auction). Congrats on your winning bid !! Hopefully, in the future, you'll post some comments on it's performance. Thanks !! :)

jcoat007

« Reply #141 on: 14 Jan 2005, 10:52 pm »
That was me!!!

I will definitely post my thoughts once I get it my system.

modwright

« Reply #142 on: 15 Jan 2005, 12:29 am »
Here is what another customer said who received his production SWL 9.0SE after owning the Beta unit:

Incredible! I didn't think there could be much difference between the beta unit and the production one and I was VERY surprised. Wow, I kept feeding CDs until 3am this morning!... V. Tran (1.13.05)

We are building them as fast as possible right now and if you are waiting, it will be on your door step very soon.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

SWL 9.0 Price Increase
« Reply #143 on: 3 Feb 2005, 06:02 pm »
We have sold 40 of the first run of 50 units since Jan. 1.  After the next ten units are sold, prices WILL increase from $1400 (SWL 9.0 - no remote), $1900 (SWL 9.0SE w/remote) to $1800 (SWL 9.0 w/remote) and $2200 (SWL 9.0SE w/remote).

Please note that both Basic and SE units will ship with remote volume control, for the next production run forward.  It is obvious to me that most everyone DOES want remote volume control.

The exception to this, includes upgrading the Alps blue motorized volume pot to a DACT CT-2 or Goldpoint stepped attenuator WITHOUT remote volume control.  There are additional charges for the upgraded stepped attenuators, but it is an option, as well as Black Gate power supply cap upgrades.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Thank you again to all of our customers who have purchased our production units and or participated in our Beta testing process.  Without the Beta testers and feedback here, we would not have been able to produce the quality

merc

« Reply #144 on: 14 Mar 2005, 12:05 am »
Hope these questions aren't too dumb to ask... but,
Does the linestage need to be turned on when you use the HT bypass and if so, is the volume control active during HT Bypass?

Thanks!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #145 on: 14 Mar 2005, 01:10 am »
Yes it needs to be on; no the "bypass" means volume pot is out of the signal path.  Volume is adjusted via HT pre or processor.    One note to understand:  the pre inverts polarity for all signals EXCEPT the HT bypass.

Ted

jcoat007

Polarity
« Reply #146 on: 14 Mar 2005, 01:29 am »
Quote from: ted_b
One note to understand:  the pre inverts polarity for all signals EXCEPT the HT bypass.

Ted

Is that correct?

merc

« Reply #147 on: 14 Mar 2005, 04:06 am »
One note to understand: the pre inverts polarity for all signals EXCEPT the HT bypass.
What implication does that have with regard to my using it for both music as a standalone preamp and as a bypass part of my HT system?

Will I need to put some kind of polarity switch on my two front channels to flip the polarity when using the SWL as a preamp?

modwright

Phase
« Reply #148 on: 14 Mar 2005, 04:54 am »
Absolute phase is something that some people can hear and are sensitive to and others are not.  The impact of absolute phase will be most apparent for music, if at all, in most cases I believe.  As such, I would recommend inverting the phase at your front speakers only, if you find that you are sensitive to the phase issue.

I hope this helps.

Dan W.

jcoat007

Re: Phase
« Reply #149 on: 14 Mar 2005, 12:07 pm »
Quote from: modwright
Absolute phase is something that some people can hear and are sensitive to and others are not.  The impact of absolute phase will be most apparent for music, if at all, in most cases I believe.  As such, I would recommend inverting the phase at your front speakers only, if you find that you are sensitive to the phase issue.

I hope this helps.

Dan W.

So to do that you would connect the speaker cable that is connected to the positive output on your amp to the negative input on your speakers.  Then the negative output on your amp to the positive input on your speakers.  

Is that correct?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #150 on: 14 Mar 2005, 12:54 pm »
Yes, just switch the red and black speaker leads on your front (stereo) amp.  

By the way, I mentioned this only so you were aware of it, but as Dan says, the phase issue in Home Theater is pretty moot.  Absolute phase is affected by many things, including recording microphone wiring, etc.  I would venture to gues that 20-30% of your cd recordings may well have songs or parts of songs that are recorded with reverse absolute polarity.  I postedearlier that my Analogue Productions cds, like Janis Ian's Breaking Silence 24k gold cd, is in fact inverted phase.  There's even a site that has charted inverted phase and they claim most major labels are inverted anyway (Silent Running Audio; they have a downloadable pdf chart)) So, on stereo stuff you might want to make sure you are listening closely (duh) for center image focus, and this would be the case with ANY preamp.  On HT stuff, the assumption is that it is in surround mode and that we're dealing with 5 or 7 channels, and phase is the least of the audio issues you are likely dealing with, unless every speaker is identical and each is located perfectly within a symmetrical soundstage.  

IOW, switch the leads at you stereo amp and then realize you probably have 70% of your cd's tackled.  Listen for center image focus and don't fret the HT stuff so much.  

Ted

jcoat007

« Reply #151 on: 14 Mar 2005, 03:02 pm »
A couple weeks ago I was trying to confirm that my system was set up in proper phase from my turntable cartridge all the way to the speakers.  I was using a test redord (HI-Fi News I think) to verify this.  Anyway, I had checked and double checked each connection, but could not get that center image to show up.  

I will try reversing the leads on my amp.  

Hey Dan, how about a phase switch?

miklorsmith

HT Bypass
« Reply #152 on: 14 Mar 2005, 04:19 pm »
Is the entire tube circuit bypassed in HT mode, or just the volume control?

ted_b

• Volunteer
Re: HT Bypass
« Reply #153 on: 14 Mar 2005, 04:29 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
Is the entire tube circuit bypassed in HT mode, or just the volume control?

The entire tube circuit...that's why it isn''t inverted.  That's also why you shouldn't use the HT bypass to break-in the pre....the main stages and teflon caps aren't seeing a signal.

Ted

merc

« Reply #154 on: 14 Mar 2005, 06:10 pm »
Any chance of getting one of these with a black faceplate?  :)

modwright

Black Faceplate Yes!
« Reply #155 on: 15 Mar 2005, 05:40 pm »
I had my machinist balck anodize a couple of the first units for specific customers who requested.  I will get one installed and a picture up soon.  I expect it will look very good with the silver knobs, switches and blue LED's.

Depending upon interest, I will do some of the second run in Black.

There is still at least one unit available from the first run.

Thanks,

Dan W.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Black Faceplate Yes!
« Reply #156 on: 15 Mar 2005, 07:52 pm »

There is still at least one unit available from the first run.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Ha!

This means I got the penultimate unit of the first run.  :singing:  I just couldn't put it off after hearing all the great reviews.  I am however going to ask Dan to implement his separate PS and phonostage addition before taking possesion!  Thanks for letting me do this.

guest1632

Re: Black Faceplate Yes!
« Reply #157 on: 15 Mar 2005, 11:37 pm »
I had my machinist balck anodize a couple of the first units for specific customers who requested.  I will get one installed and a picture up soon.  I expect it will look very good with the silver knobs, switches and blue LED's.

Depending upon interest, I will do some of the second run in Black.

There is still at least one unit available from the first run
"I had my machinist balck anodize a couple of the first units for specific customers who requested." What is  "balck anodize"  Sorry am blind, so not sure what you're talking about.

Ray

Thanks,

Dan W.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #158 on: 16 Mar 2005, 12:13 am »
Ray,
Since you included no smilies or anything I guess your post was serious.  Really?  

Dan typo'd on the "balck".  He of course meant black!

Ted

merc

« Reply #159 on: 16 Mar 2005, 05:00 am »
I had my machinist balck anodize a couple of the first units for specific customers who requested. I will get one installed and a picture up soon. I expect it will look very good with the silver knobs, switches and blue LED's.
Ooooohhhh. That might force me to switch to silver knobs on all my black components... and of course, they already have those blue LEDs... otherwise, I'd not have considered them.  :D

Just kidding of course on the blue LEDs, I prefer red, although the silver knobs on my other black components might be a good idea.  :wink:

Dan,

Will the Black faceplate cost more than the Silver one? (Don't worry, I won't ask for a matching black remote....) :D