New N3 kit (Neo series)!

oz_audio_todd

Re: New N3 kit (Neo series)!
« Reply #40 on: 19 Feb 2009, 10:51 am »
Hi Guys,
New to this posting stuff on forums, so if I do something wrong I apologise in advance and just let me know   :D
Since the Oz dollar hit a cliff a few months back, and made the speakers that I really want 50% more expensive for me than they were, i have been hanging for these babies to be available.
Now (that Audio Circle has gotten its new registrations page up again) I have a few questions regarding the design for the Guru :D
While I am no designer by any stretch of the imagination, it does seem from the response plots that you could make the response a whole dB tighter across the spectrum by toning down the tweeter a dB. I am pretty sure that it cant be that simple, so just wondering if you could please let us in on why it was designed like this?
Also, I have never been able to find a response plot for the current A/V-3, just wondering how the new plot compares to the current tried and proven model?
My (very limited) understanding of transmission lines make me wonder how the response if affected in the lower regions with the length of the T-line some 12 or so inches shorter?
With the woofers now spaced further apart, does this effect the sound field in a big way?
And lastly, side by side, how does the sound compare to the Dome tweeter version?
Sorry for all the Q's, but as I said I have been waiting for this model for a while and there seems to be several changes in the new version that I am curious about.
Thanks Danny  :D

Todd
Sydney Australia

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 19 Feb 2009, 01:45 pm »
Regardless of how high you want to push the servo subs, they are still flat to 20Hz and -3db down in the teens. I'd likely never want to turn the MFW-15 on again as the servo subs can handle those ranges with much greater control, tighter, cleaner, etc.

REY

« Reply #42 on: 19 Feb 2009, 02:47 pm »
I ordered the kit and the flat pack from Eric, although  I don't promise a fast build, as soon as I am finished I will post my review.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
Servo Sub integration with a Neo Series kit.
« Reply #43 on: 19 Feb 2009, 02:59 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:39 pm by EARGASM »

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #44 on: 19 Feb 2009, 03:31 pm »
Heh, well if that ends up being true I'll be thrilled.  Part of me sort of wishes there was a 10" version of the servo subs, though, to allow a smaller sealed enclosure and use in applications like this.

Anyhow, thanks for all the advice.

tmaslar

« Reply #45 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:56 pm »
I am wondering what the difference in sound quality is between the A/V-3 and the new N3 system? I have read some posts on another forum in which some people claim to prefer the sound of Danny's dome tweeter to the sound of the Neo ribbon tweeter. I know that the Neo measures better. I'm wondering what about the sound makes some prefer the dome over the ribbon?

dvenardos

« Reply #46 on: 19 Feb 2009, 05:43 pm »
Regardless of how high you want to push the servo subs, they are still flat to 20Hz and -3db down in the teens. I'd likely never want to turn the MFW-15 on again as the servo subs can handle those ranges with much greater control, tighter, cleaner, etc.

You would probably need an external bass manager like the Outlaw ICBM to sum the L/R (or L or R) channel and LFE in order to totally dump the MFW-15.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #47 on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:13 pm »
You would probably need an external bass manager like the Outlaw ICBM to sum the L/R (or L or R) channel and LFE in order to totally dump the MFW-15.

Good point.  I'd be using the servo subs in stereo.  The MFW would be my LFE channel for 5/6/7.1 when watching movies.  Of course I could build a dedicated subwoofer for that, but that's getting ahead of ourselves....

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 24 Mar 2009, 03:27 pm »
I just wanted to add that a pair of these speakers with a single servo sub is an unbelievable combo. I have good confidence in having this combo compared against anything at any price point with no fear of it being out classed by anything.

It may not be subjectively the "best" by everyone. Nothing is. But it should be right there in the comparisons with cost being no factor. It is that good.

Also, there is a killer deal right now on the single servo sub kit. You get a SW-12-04, the A300 amp, and a Honey Oak enclosure for a really great price over in this thread. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65525.0

The sub kit deal won't last long so if you want to jump on this combo and take advantage of the sale price, then you better jump quick.

HT cOz

« Reply #49 on: 24 Mar 2009, 03:33 pm »
I just wanted to add that a pair of these speakers with a single servo sub is an unbelievable combo. I have good confidence in having this combo compared against anything at any price point with no fear of it being out classed by anything.

It may not be subjectively the "best" by everyone. Nothing is. But it should be right there in the comparisons with cost being no factor. It is that good.

Danny,

Would there be any real tradeoffs or differences between going with a Mini-Monitor with Servo Sub VS. Full Range Cabinet with Servo Sub?

Thanks,
Robert

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 24 Mar 2009, 04:31 pm »
Since the N3 only reaches a -3db of 40Hz I wouldn't consider it full range but it does have advantages over the mini-monitors.

With two woofers sharing the load there is less stress on them and it can reach higher SPL levels with less distortion. Sensitivity is also much higher at the 90.5db average range.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #51 on: 24 Mar 2009, 04:42 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:38 pm by EARGASM »

HT cOz

« Reply #52 on: 24 Mar 2009, 05:03 pm »
Yeah it seems like I can never say what I mean.  I was talking about a sealed Neo3 vs a Neo3 TL, both with one servo sub. 

I am basically planning on having 3 identical sealed speakers (L,C,R) and a servo sub, but wonder if I am giving up anything by not going with a TL?

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Robert

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 24 Mar 2009, 05:15 pm »
If you plan to use a single servo sub then you'll have your best integration crossing it at a lower crossover point. So I'd go with the TL version as the mains and the sealed version for a center channel. I'd personally go this way.

If you plan to use a servo sub for each channel or at least one per side then it will be easier to integrate them to the higher crossover point needed when using the sealed version as they can be closer to each speaker.

HT cOz

« Reply #54 on: 24 Mar 2009, 05:39 pm »
If you plan to use a single servo sub then you'll have your best integration crossing it at a lower crossover point. So I'd go with the TL version as the mains and the sealed version for a center channel. I'd personally go this way.

If you plan to use a servo sub for each channel or at least one per side then it will be easier to integrate them to the higher crossover point needed when using the sealed version as they can be closer to each speaker.

Perfect, now I understand where the tradeoffs are made between the two choices.

Thanks again,
Robert

Trafford

« Reply #55 on: 25 Mar 2009, 10:01 pm »
I have been trying to decide what to buy for a 2 channel system I am assembling in my livingroom. The room is 16' x 24' with a cathedral ceiling, hardwood floors and overstuffed furniture. I will be listening to classical, blues, jazz and some blues-based rock. The amp is a Onkyo A9555. Listening level will be moderate at most. What will do the best job in this situation, the N3 or the Neo-2X in a ported floor stander? I have no place to put a sub and the boss wants to limit the "footprint" of any system I put in there. I have also considered the Kepler from Kevin Haskins.

BTW, I have never built speakers before (I have built houses and done extensive remodeling work).

I appreciate any advice or thoughts.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #56 on: 25 Mar 2009, 10:11 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:38 pm by EARGASM »

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 25 Mar 2009, 10:14 pm »
Because your room is so large, I'd go with the N3 model for the advantage of the higher sensitivity.

With the smaller or lower sensitivity speakers you will need to push them quite a bit harder to get even the moderate levels that you'll want in a room that size.

Plus, the control and extension that you'll get with the N3 due to the transmission line loading will help a lot too, especially without a sub.

kobbi

« Reply #58 on: 26 Mar 2009, 02:53 am »
I too have been thinking of trying the Neo-2X in the ported floor standing model. But now the new N3 is also a possibility.
I have a few questions. Is the tweeter the same in both models? How would you characterize the differences between the two?My room is  smaller than Trafford's (18 x 13.5), would the sensitivity of the N3 gain me much in a small room?

Thanks for your help.

DIY newbie

Trafford

« Reply #59 on: 26 Mar 2009, 04:25 pm »
It looks like the tweeter is the exact same one that's in the Neo-2X but I'm not positive. I am more curious about the differences in the woofers. I see that the N3 design uses the M130 woofer and the Neo-2X uses the M165X woofer that appears to be a newer design.

How do the two M130's stack up against the M165X as far as sound quality?

Is there a possibility of some type of an MTM design with the M130X or M165X woofers? It appears impedance may be an issue with the X woofers. I just don't have a good feel for the possible differences in the overall sound, if any, between the "X" and non-"X" woofers.