Squeezebox Server 7.4

mikel51

Re: Squeezebox Server 7.4
« Reply #40 on: 4 Oct 2009, 10:56 pm »
I have to modify my update without a hitch post from earlier.   My windows server did update easily.  When I first updated my ReadyNAS server, it seemed OK, but didn't work (didn't show albums or artists) a few days later.  I also noticed that the update page to 7.4 was modified to suggest not updating to 7.4 if you are using ReadyNAS.    I did some homework over at the Infrant web site and did the following...uninstall slimserver, reboot ReadyNAS, reinstall slimserver (this time 7.4.1 nightly build), run clean db (and reboot).  Things still didn't work, and I noticed that the database scan only took 12 seconds.  I pushed the clear database and rescan option, waited ~1 hour for the complete scan to complete and all seems to be working fine (fingers crossed).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #41 on: 4 Oct 2009, 11:48 pm »
"clean db"??  :scratch:
Please elaborate Mike.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #42 on: 6 Oct 2009, 07:54 pm »
After five days of 7.4, I'm having the same problem that's been mentioned a few times earlier in this thread....The software won't load. Not only that, but it'll stop mid stream and claims it "can't connect". Takes a good 15-20 minutes to of rebooting, pulling power cords, etc... to get things working again.

I'm thinking an earlier version might be best for my situation.  :?

Bob

lcrim

« Reply #43 on: 6 Oct 2009, 08:20 pm »
My internet provider had problems a few days ago so I only had my home (internal) network running.  I rebooted both my DSL device and router numerous times while troubleshooting.
The next day, my players (both modded SB3's) simply refused to find the PC that has SqueezeBox Server on it. 
I could reach the SqueezeBox Server PC w/ two other wireless laptops but the players couldn't find that box.  I looked at that box w/ a remote control program and noticed that it was getting a Microsoft update at that point.  (Microsoft updates can be both positive and a PITA.)  After the update and a reboot of that box, things went back to normal.
The internal router, may have had some stored routing info that was not up to date as well, I seem to remember rebooting it as well.  Not sure which variable to blame but its solid again.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 6 Oct 2009, 08:42 pm »
Interesting point about the MS updates. I didn't know that would "kill" the SB software.
However, since I updated to 7.4 five days ago, I've had this problem three or four times.
Never had it happen with any other version of SS.

Bob

mikel51

« Reply #45 on: 7 Oct 2009, 12:04 am »
"clean db"??  :scratch:
Please elaborate Mike.

Bob

This is a .bin file you can load to your ready nas to reset to default settings.  I always run after upgrading squeezeserver software.  You simply upload this file to your readynas from the update command.  This always fixes problems for me.

http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/4.01/Clean_SqueezeCenter_DB_1.0.bin

or use this if you have a ready nas pro (I don't, so I don't have experience with their intel platform)

http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/Clean_SqueezeCenter_DB_1.0-x86.bin

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 7 Oct 2009, 12:09 am »
Thank you for the explanation Mike.  :thumb:

Bob

ctviggen

« Reply #47 on: 7 Oct 2009, 12:17 am »
SqueezePlay is not included in the main download for SqueezeBox Server.

Here is a link to the beta downloads with SqueezePlay designed for different OS

That should let you play music on your computer.

I am beginning to hate this software.  Each time they make a change, they break something.  The Squeezeplay can't find my songs (on the same computer!) and when I click "change settings", it still looks for my songs, instead of changing the settings.  What a true piece of cow dung.

My next music server will not be this product.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #48 on: 7 Oct 2009, 12:20 am »
SqueezePlay is not included in the main download for SqueezeBox Server.

Here is a link to the beta downloads with SqueezePlay designed for different OS

That should let you play music on your computer.
I am beginning to hate this software.  Each time they make a change, they break something.  The Squeezeplay can't find my songs (on the same computer!) and when I click "change settings", it still looks for my songs, instead of changing the settings.  What a true piece of cow dung.

My next music server will not be this product.

I have been using v7.3.x (I even think it is a beta or nightly build - not a GA release) for months and months with no problems.  Guess I am going to stay with that version for a bit longer.

George

DSK

« Reply #49 on: 9 Oct 2009, 12:22 pm »
Ditto George.

tdangelo

« Reply #50 on: 9 Oct 2009, 03:20 pm »
7.4 has been a nightmare for me.  Everytime I do a scan for new/changed music it clears everything and starts from scratch(among other problems) - with the library of music I have it usually takes 3-4 hrs... I went back to 7.3.2 and it works great ;)

Philistine

« Reply #51 on: 9 Oct 2009, 03:41 pm »
My experience on the 'upgrade' from 7.3.x to 7.4 has been mixed.

I typically wait for the official roll out particularly as beta versions have intermittent support of the Alien BBC plug-in, with a switch to 7.4 required to replace the defunct Alien BBC streams with BBC iPlayer then I had to 'upgrade'.  In addition my Controller has had connection issues and 7.4 promised to improve the performance.

My first issue was that my 7.4 settings screen was just hieroglyphics, a switch from IE8 to Firefox fixed this.  The second issue is, as found by others, that 7.4 will unexpectedly decide to shut itself down - even though I've tried the fixes suggested on the SlimDevices forum this remains an open issue.

My suggestion would be not to upgrade to 7.4 until you have to, you need the functionality or all the bug fixes are in place.   

ctviggen

« Reply #52 on: 9 Oct 2009, 04:44 pm »
I definitely do not recommend the SqueezePlay beta.  At home, it took several times to get it to work, and it's in English.  At work, it took several times to work, and everything is in Spanish and I cannot change it from Spanish.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, and each time I get all menus in Spanish.  I no longer can select English.  Anyone know what Reproduciendo means?  (Apparently, it means random play.)

mcgsxr

« Reply #53 on: 9 Oct 2009, 07:11 pm »
I find that I install the most recent s/w whenever I need to do a major overhaul of the server.

I have never tried to install updated s/w outside of those roughly annual redo's of my server.

From the sound of this thread, I am glad I don't, for the most part.

When I do need to reinstall the s/w, I look for the most recent, reputedly stable version, and run with that.

I know I miss out on the latest and greatest functionality, but I also miss out on most of the headaches too!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 9 Oct 2009, 09:10 pm »
Well said Mark, very true. Especially the last sentence.

Bo

Audioclyde

« Reply #55 on: 9 Oct 2009, 11:26 pm »
I've been a long time user of the beta 7.4 will little or no problem.  After downloading and installing the regular 7.4 release, I had to rescan the entire library a couple of times, but after that I've been operating with no problems....

until today.  I changed my Pronto configuration file (run ProntoSqueeze) today, and now I am often getting brief blasts of white noise between songs...when the software is switching to the next song automatically after the prior song completes, and also often if I manually track forward...

Any ideas?  The burst of white noise is new and very annoying!  Forgot to mention, all my files are AIFF...from mac mini to mw transporter.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Randy

simi 1947

« Reply #56 on: 9 Oct 2009, 11:37 pm »
I downloaded 7.4 last week. Initially I thought it was working successfully but discovered that only one track could be played not whole album... sorted the preferences then discovered my Duet handset (I have the older Squeezebox Classic + newer Duet handset) would not accept commands nor would my original handset work. Telephoned Squeeze help desk in California who suggested un-installing and going back to 7.3.... phoned European help desk who said "lots of problems, we're working on it, go back to 7.3".... this is very poor service and 7.4 should have been de-bugged before launch. I'm now able to use 7.3 but only with original handset as Duet still thinks it's on 7.4 and keeps congratulating me!

Audioclyde

« Reply #57 on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:21 am »
I did a complete library clear and rescan and it appears my problem is fixed for now :thumb:.

madfloyd

« Reply #58 on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:35 am »
Pronto Squeeze?  Being an owner of a Pronto that  sounds intriguing...

Audioclyde

« Reply #59 on: 10 Oct 2009, 02:19 am »
Prontosqueeze is prontoscript (I think, I'm no expert) a guy wrote to use on the later model pronto's to remote control the squeezebox software.  Pretty inexpensive and works great.  Here is his link:  http://www.prontosqueeze.com/

Randy