93db minimum...

Guy 13

93db minimum...
« on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:17 pm »

Hi all Audio Circle members.
For a change, this time, I will talk about speakers on Danny GR Research site.
Open baffle speakers that is.
Is that O.K. with all of you Audio Circle members?
Am I at the right place?
I hope no one will object and ask me to move my topic somewhere else!
O.K. here it goes.
When looking to purchase a speaker (Kit),
what are MY priorities and/or criteria?
First: Efficiency !
          93db is the minimum.
          95db is better.
          97db is excellent.
I don’t need more than 97db for my 2 and 10wpc SET amplifier.
I hate 85db speakers for mids and highs.
Second: If it’s a kit, then ease of assembling/construction.
              Almost no tools and/or wood working skill required.
Third: Sound performances, which include deep, deep bass and
           none fatiguing/aggressive highs.
           Smooth/sweet with details, but not too much detail.
Fourth: Good quality/price ratio.
            Quality: Sound quality, efficiency, durability,
            after sales service.
(I am not looking for the best of the best; I am not a perfectionist, like some of the Audio Circle members.)
Fifth: Simple (Even basic) driver/crossover components.
           If a single capacitor can do the job as well as a complex
           crossover, then a single capacitor I will go.
           If a single 8” full range driver perform as well as a coaxial
           driver, then why not a full range driver?
Yes, I know, I am dreaming, such things don’t exist, now !
But later ? ? ?
What for me is NOT important: Size and/or compactness?
As a matter of fact, I hate everything that is ridiculously small.
That’s my opinion on speakers for what it’s worth !
Guy 13

Guy 13

Re: 93db minimum...
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2011, 04:33 am »

Hi Danny (If you made it back from the mountains…)
and all Audio Circle members.
Before starting to write this new subject, I was not too sure where to post it.

My new topic would fit at the same time in all the following circles:
Enclosures, open baffle speakers, single driver…
I choose to stay with Danny’s site because Danny sells speakers, because I use Danny’s drivers and kits and finally, because Danny’s site is where I feel (Most) comfortable, that’s were all the traffic goes thru…
All that been said or written, here I go.

With my soon to be started Audio 13 business in Vietnam, I want to offer to the potential buyers and audiophiles some audio products that offer the best quality price ratio and that will be sold under my own brand name. Doing so, I will avoid the buyers to buy directly from my suppliers.

All the audio stuff at several grants per item, I won’t sell and I leave that to the other audio stores, there are plenty of those audio stores here in Vietnam; they sell their four to five figures items to the new Vietnamese rich which wants to flatter their ego or to show off… (LOL)
In order to offer the best quality/price ratio audio products, I need to test and evaluate myself which audio products are the most suitable for my business.

I have listed different categories of speakers that I want to build and test.
First the mid/hi drivers.
I will test all of them, however, if someone wants to share his/her experience(s) with some of the drivers below, please go ahead.

I want to stay away from the 3 ways drivers.
I will only use the Open Baffle configuration.
(At a later date, maybe offer the N3TL.)
Two way with two 6” with a tweeter. (Dome or planar)
Two way with single 8” mid/bass driver with a tweeter.
(Dome or planar.)
Single coaxial driver. 8 or 12”
Single 8” full range driver.

For the bass section.
I will be exploring all the different configurations below.

One unit per channel.
H Frame. (Same as GR Research V1 and V2 already evaluated)
U frame with double 12 or 15” drivers.
I frame. (This is how I call them, I might be wrong?)
Two 12” drivers shooting one on top of the other.
V frame. (Not the same as W frame.)
Two baffle at 90 degrees from each other.
Four (04) 12” or 15”

All the woofer drivers will be driven with Danny’s SA-1 SS plate amplifier and for the servo drivers with the Rythmik A370PEQ. (I wish Danny would offer is own version of the servo amplifier.)

As you can see, I have lots of testing and evaluation to do.
Well, I have already tested the V1 and V2 and results are very positive, but I also want to explore some less expensive avenues.

I have now my two eyes riveted to my computer monitor waiting to read your comments. (LOL)
Guy 13

johnzm

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2011, 02:52 pm »
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/

maybe take a look at the sterling silver iris's. they come with a premium x over that you can see is very simple, and is 96db efficient.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2011, 04:21 pm »
Im confused about what you are looking to do... Are you going to be building out GR Research kits and selling them?
Are you trying to design your own stuff? If so, is it from GR Research components? -Doesn't seem to be. The GR drivers for your drawings would actually be either 5.25 inch and 6.5inch, not 6". No full range 8" offered, etc.

If you don't have the means to properly test this stuff, I think you really should just stick with the pre-designed kits.

-Tony

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:28 am »
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/

maybe take a look at the sterling silver iris's. they come with a premium x over that you can see is very simple, and is 96db efficient.
Hi John(mz) and all Audio Circle members.
I know about Hawthorne's website, because I visited their site many times and I even wrote to the owner, which I forgot the name. (Sorry) to get more information on their products.

I see Hawthorne more like a competitor than a supplier, therefore even if his products are good, I don't think I will buy from him.

I like to do business with Danny:
Wide choice of good products and great service.

Thanks anyway for the info.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:48 am »
Im confused about what you are looking to do... Are you going to be building out GR Research kits and selling them?
Are you trying to design your own stuff? If so, is it from GR Research components? -Doesn't seem to be. The GR drivers for your drawings would actually be either 5.25 inch and 6.5inch, not 6". No full range 8" offered, etc.

If you don't have the means to properly test this stuff, I think you really should just stick with the pre-designed kits.

-Tony

Hi Tony and all Audio Circle members.
Don't be confused anymore, find below some explanations to clear up any confusions.
Yes, I will be building GR Research kits and sell them, but under my own brand name Audio 13.
If Danny wants to object, he can do it now, or stay silent forever. (LOL)
Yes, I might design and build my own Open Baffle enclosures using Danny's drivers, however, I might also be using other drivers but for the non servo enclosures.
I wrote 6" but it will be Danny's M-130-16 - 5.25" with dome or planar tweeter.
For the 8" full range driver, I know very well all GR Research offering and I will look somewhere else, like:
Audio Nirvana, Lowther, Decware, Tang Band.
However, before offering those full range drivers to my customers, I will do intensive listening test.
Thanks for your advice, but my ears will be my testing device and if my customers don't like the products I will offer them, then...
Too bad for me, I will get stuck with one or two enclosures.
I don't believe there are many very bad sounding speakers and there is always someone to like a speakers with not so good sounding qualities, if the price is right.
Not every one are perfectionnists like some Audio Circle members. (LOL)
Thanks for your comments, I think I know where I am going with my future Audio 13 business.
Guy 13
Audio 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:18 pm »
Just back from the mountains... and with only a broken thumb.

I think you have a good plan there Guy, but the only products that I currently have that fit your 93db and up sensitivity are my V series kits. And you already have my V-1 and V-2. All that is left is the Super-V.  :D

The thing that you have to be careful of with some of those open baffle sub designs is the resonance of the cabinet. Some of those designs really limit your ability to control those issues.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:23 pm »
Danny

I can't stress how important it is for you to update your website.  I'm now more confused then I was before...

I thought the V-1 was the Super V. 

The V-2 was the baby version of that. 

:scratch:

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2011, 06:47 pm »
More Super-V drivers finally arrived today. So I can finally start shipping them again. I'd love to get that web page updated but I am so busy right now (especially having taken off last Friday and Yesterday) I am just shipping orders as fast as I can.

Here are some links regarding the V Series:

It all started with this one:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61023.0

Here is a customer pic or two and feedback:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69909.0

Customer build:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65750.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79985.0

Customer feedback:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69484.0

More customer feedback and pics:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67077.0

Modification that took them up a notch:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69970.0

Super V version:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72093.0

Super V pics:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73341.0

Super V feedback:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72423.0

I'll have info up on my site as soon as I get a chance to work on it.

Thanks,
Danny

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2011, 06:15 am »
JT.....the V-1s......like mine.....and the super Vs are two different animals.......

The supers must be something else.....cause my 1s are really spectacular.....

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2011, 01:02 pm »

I think you have a good plan there Guy, but the only products that I currently have that fit your 93db and up sensitivity are my V series kits. And you already have my V-1 and V-2. All that is left is the Super-V.  :D

The thing that you have to be careful of with some of those open baffle sub designs is the resonance of the cabinet. Some of those designs really limit your ability to control those issues.

[/quote]

Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.
Here in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) if I want to go to the mountains, I have to drive 6 long hours to get there...

However, once there, you forget about those long hours on the twisty and bumpy roads and enjoy the fantastic view.

The V1 and V2 are sensitive enough for me; all the other GR Research drivers (M130, etc...) are just on the border line of my 93db requirements, however, they are really affordable.

For the subwoofer drivers they are driven by plate amplifier, therefore no sensivity problem there.

For the resonance of the cabinet, that will be taken care with double ¾” MDF boards everywhere and with heavy bracing.

I wish one day you could offer to all of us a SW-12-16FR but non servo at 99 USD/each.

That would be great for all my future open baffle projects and of course, if the sensivity could go up by 3 to 6db, that would be even better, but I know, I am dream in 3D and in color.
Guy 13

BobRex

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2011, 01:21 pm »
Guy, please understand that even though the drivers may have a sensitivity of 93dB, both the cabinet and the crossover will reduce that.  The final speaker system sensitivity does not necessarily equal the driver sensitivity.

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2011, 02:17 pm »
Guy, please understand that even though the drivers may have a sensitivity of 93dB, both the cabinet and the crossover will reduce that.  The final speaker system sensitivity does not necessarily equal the driver sensitivity.
Hi BobRex and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for your advice, however, I knew already that all crossovers are wattage hungry, some more than others.

That's why I am looking at other makes of drivers with much higher sensivity to compensate for that loss due to wattage wasters crossover...

If a single capacitor in series with the tweeter could replace a complicated and a components crowded crossover, I would do it, plus the fact that instead of paying 100 USD for a crossover, I could pay only a few dollars for a single capacitor, but I know, I am again dreaming in colors.
Guy 13 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2011, 02:18 pm »
Thanks for your advice, but my ears will be my testing device and if my customers don't like the products I will offer them, then...
Too bad for me, I will get stuck with one or two enclosures.
I don't believe there are many very bad sounding speakers and there is always someone to like a speakers with not so good sounding qualities, if the price is right.
Not every one are perfectionnists like some Audio Circle members. (LOL)
Thanks for your comments, I think I know where I am going with my future Audio 13 business.
Guy 13
Audio 13

:wtf:

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. :nono:

Good luck Guy 13 to your new venture! :wink:

I can say that you have heart! :thankyou:

Remember:
 :no_see: :no_hear: :no_speak:

Anand.

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2011, 02:27 pm »

:wtf:

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. :nono:

Good luck Guy 13 to your new venture! :wink:

I can say that you have heart! :thankyou:

Remember:
 :no_see: :no_hear: :no_speak:

Anand.
Hi Anand and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks Anand for your good words.
Either I am very couragous or I am completely crazy to start a new business at 63 years old in a country that is not mine.
I don't worry too much about my new Audio 13 business not generating enough money, I still have my wife's business to pay the bills...
Guy 13
Audio 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2011, 02:39 pm »
The crossover itself doesn't eat up too much power. It is usually the baffle step compensation that brings the output level down. You will lack a lot of tonal balance without it though.