Ebag4's V-1 Build

ebag4

Ebag4's V-1 Build
« on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:39 am »
Hi guys.  I don't normally post pics of my on-going builds but I know how you guys love to see them so here of a few pics of my current V-1 build.

It's sad that a good portion of the work completed to date will never see the light of day once the build is complete.

Best,
Ed

sl_1800

Re: Ebag4's V-1 Build
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:43 am »
Those are looking very good, keep the pics coming.

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2010, 04:28 am »
Ed
Very nice  :thumb:
You better hurry, you going to be build the Dodd buffer kit soon.  :drool:

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2010, 10:43 pm »
Ya gotta have me over to hear those when finished! I'll bring the beer/wine/bourbon/pizza or whatever you want!

joe

I've got a tube pre on the way, which I hope will kick my rig up a notch. You're still welcome to come over and hear how sealed monitors can sound w/ OB subs.

I still don't have my H frames together. The guy who cut my kit screwed up the dimensions on the baffle, so I'm trying to find someone to trim them down. I don't have a table saw.

The big flat baffles are ugly, but they still sound pretty decent.

cheers mate

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2010, 11:01 pm »
Well aren't you the generous type Ed.  :notworthy:  Keep up with the picture progress of your V-1's,, please! Great job.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

tasar

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:29 am »
Hi Ed....veneer appears to be a "tiger" fiqure. I'm curious, the core appears to be quite refined, is this HDF ?

thanks, Dave

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:01 am »
Thanks guys.

Trung, my buffer enclosure is partially built, just waiting for the parts.  BTW, I picked up a woodburner.

Joe, when I get some time between my son's wrestling meets (off season meets now) I will be glad to have you over.  If you don't find a solution to your H frame pretty quickly let me know and we can try to get together to get those cut for you.

Dave,
No, the entire build is MDF (so far, will be using maple for some of the finishing touches).  Because of the way I decided to build these I had to get some of the painting completed before veneering.  It would have been difficult for me to do afterward although that would be some builders' preference.  Yes, the veneer is a Tiger Maple with some birdseye figuring.  It will be difficult to see all of the figuring until I start applying the finish.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2010, 03:05 pm by ebag4 »

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:11 am »
Ed,

Those are looking great!

I want to eventually try my hand at veneering so was just wondering where you got that particular veneer, what type is it, what technique did you use?

Tom

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:38 am »
Ed,

Those are looking great!

I want to eventually try my hand at veneering so was just wondering where you got that particular veneer, what type is it, what technique did you use?

Tom
Thanks Tom.  I have been getting some excellent veneer from this gentlemen on ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com/rjfritz123/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

His (Ron Fritz) shop is less than 10 miles from me so I go there and wade through his selection, he always has nice stuff at good prices.  It is raw veneer so a little more fragile then backed veneer but I feel it finishes out nicer in the corners.  I use a glue called Heat Lock, you put it on the material and the project, let it dry (about 20 minutes) and then iron it on.  IMO it is much easier to use then contact cement because once you place the veneer when using contact cement that is where it will stay, with this you can move it around until it is lined up properly and then simply iron it on.  If you go this route use medium heat, some veneers will crack at too high a heat, a lesson I learned with this Maple.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Ed

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:44 am »
Thanks for the tips.  Sounds like Logansport or thereabouts.  I might have to take a trip over there some time to look at his stuff.

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:48 am »
Thanks for the tips.  Sounds like Logansport or thereabouts.  I might have to take a trip over there some time to look at his stuff.
Actually we are down here just west of Louisville across the river.
BTW, your subs and room look fantastic. 

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:56 am »
Actually we are down here just west of Louisville across the river.
BTW, your subs and room look fantastic.
Thanks, but I'm still a rookie at this cabinet building thing  :wink:

I pass thru there on my way back and forth to Atlanta so hopefully I can get a look at some point.  His listings look like nice stuff for sure.

ebag4

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2010, 05:15 pm »
A few more pics of the continuing build in case anyone is still interested.

The inside of all 4 sides veneered and trimmed.  2 have been lightly sanded.

One of the sides lightly wiped down with mineral spirits, have to get a feel for what it will eventually look like to keep me motivated :wink:.

One of the coax baffles lightly wiped down wih mineral spirits.

Cutting strips for edge banding.

I had a few more pics of the glue being applied to the sides and ironing the veneer on but for some reason they were lost off of the camera card.

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:46 am »
Ah man, those are looking REALLY good.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:51 am »

ebag4

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2010, 01:29 am »
Thanks Guys! :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:55 am »
I stand corrected.  :thumb:

sl_1800

« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2010, 03:14 am »
Very sexy, I'm having speaker envy for sure now. :eyebrows:

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2010, 05:52 pm »
Continuing with the daily saga of the V-1 build.  Todays episode has Ed applying the edge banding to the side panels...

Glue applied to the strips of veneer

Jig to hold the side panels vertical during the application of glue and the ironing of the veneer

Glue applied to the edge of the side panel

Edge banding applied and trimmed, 3 panels down one to go

The sides have a fairly sharp internal radius that is difficult to navigate with the iron and is too tight for the router to trim using the flush trim bit. Ultimately I was able to get the iron to work using just the tip (although next time I may try my wifes curling iron as long as I can do it without her knowing  :wink:) however the trimming had to be done with a razor knife and finshed with an orbital sander.  The final product came out nice, I really like the way raw veneer finishes the corners compared to backed veneers I have used.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2010, 06:40 pm »
For todays installment we have the mounting of the sides onto the main baffle, here you go:

Marking the glue locations

Speaker 1 with sides mounted

Speaker 1 side view

Speaker 1 and speaker 2 with sides mounted

I failed to get any pics of the top corners of the sides being rounded over, sorry guys.  Up next, veneering the outside of the side panels, then on to feet, binding post board, bowtie (kindof), crossover cover and finishing.  Then wiring, mounting of crossover, mounting and wiring of drivers and grills to be followed by sub amp boxes....whew, I thought I had a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel, not quite yet!

Best,
Ed