Dannys new OB review

PDR

• May the best man win
Dannys new OB review
« on: 14 Apr 2009, 03:39 am »
OK, I think its been long enough that I can offer a review on Dannys new OB. I’m not very good at this sort of thing so I hope  your not too disappointed. I will try to give you the best description I can.

First thing I should do is let you know what kind of equipment I am using.  I wanted to experiment with tube gear but I didn’t want to jump in and spend a lot of money,  so I started with a dual monoblocks from
Grant Fidelity out of Calgary Canada,  they were discontinuing the A-88 and I could pick one up for
About $1000, if your curious look it up here http://grantfidelity.com/site/A-88+KT88+Tube+Amplifier
And yes I know it is a re-badged Yaqin.
For source I am using a Raysonic 128cd player, I use this in my current system and am very happy with it.
Xlo speaker cables and MIT interconnects.
As you can see a rather low cost set up.

I have over 60 hrs on the speakers now and have listened to almost every type of music except Rap and Country. I should also mention that the amp is new so I think it will need more time to come into its own
And the room that the Obs are in (for now) couldn’t be worse, cathedral ceilings, hard wood floors and absolutely no treatments.

I have built other DIY speaker kits and I know that you have to give them time for the drivers to wear in and that there is time needed for x-over parts, new electronics in servo sub amps, etc to burn in. This is why I thought 100hrs would be a good starting point, but I think I can give you a fair accounting after 60.

One other thing you should know is this is the first point source I have had in about 2 yrs,  my current speakers are line source or line arrays, all use ribbons, I have never owned an OB before.

I have moved these around, change toe in angles, tilt angles, been to the open baffle forums and ask for advice. In MY bad room I have found that  the best set up is…..Listener 8’ away from each speaker, speakers about 7’ apart, toe in about 1 ½” and a bout 3/8” tilt up…remember that I built this box with a square bottom and I believe that the plans call for a slope to tilt the speaker up. I am sure when I get these into a proper room this summer these measurements will change…..maybe.

When I first started music through these it was like all the other builds I have done, nothing spectacular.
I knew it would take time for them to burn in a little and for me to get them set properly. I listened faithfully
every night after work and I think it was about 20 hrs that things started to open up. The more I listened the larger the soundstage was getting, the imaging was poor but I thought maybe that was because I was use to my arrays, they image beautifully. But after another 20 hrs or so it started to come, and I can say now at the 60 hr mark these image as well or better than any point source I’ve heard, and the soundstage is huge. They are starting to rival my arrays, and like I said in the room they are in right now that is quite a statement.

The highs are quite elegant, something I was concerned about with the dome tweeters. They are clear and very airy, Trumpets and sax sounds very realistic and exceptionally clean. Piano and female vocals are a joy to listen to and I have not been fatigued once in the last 60hrs, and there have been some long sessions. The mids are full and very natural sounding, classical guitar is excellent, I have played guitar for over 30 yrs and know what acoustic sounds like. If you like jazz, or older music like dire straights or super tramp that incorporates piano, sax or other woodwinds with clean sharp electric guitar, this is for you.

I have left the servo subs for last. I can honestly say that this is the best bass I have ever heard. Everything you have read on these is accurate. They sound fantastic, you can have them pounding and they don’t load the room at all. Drums sound incredible, bass guitar so nice and clean, they go so low yet nothing on the walls rattle…..I tried….I cant describe them properly….I never would of imagined.

As I said I am not much good at this review thing. If you have any questions ask, I will try to answer them.
I can tell you this, a few years ago I paid about $2500 for a pair of speakers that I thought were alright
It wasn’t until I started down the DIY road that I realized just how much value you get for your dollar.
These at under $2000 have got to be the deal of the century, high sensitivity, clarity, excellent soundstage and imaging, and the tightest, fastest bass I have ever  heard……

Perry

PMAT

Re: Dannys new OB review
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2009, 05:03 am »
Good, useful review.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2009, 05:16 am »
Nice work....look'in good !!   8)

Enjoy them.... :beer:

Rapt

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:35 pm »
Thanks for the review, they sound like they sound amazing  :green: You should be proud of a great build, they look absolutely outstanding. Nice design Danny. congrats guys...I can just imagine the drums through those servos,  amazing  8)

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2009, 11:49 pm »
Nice review. Thanks for pioneering this speaker for the rest of us.

penderaudio

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2009, 12:09 am »
Perry

I have been lurking this thread for a while. the final design came out very nice. I like the form follows function look. I am very interested to see how these compare to the Hawthorne Sterling Silver Duets and Trios. they are built on the same principals

-Open Baffle below 1000-1500Hz
-Pro Sound Coaxial mids and highs
-Powered Woofers (Active Low pass X-over)

Differences

-Flat baffle vs. H-frame
-High efficiency lower x-max Woofers vs. High x-max lower efficiency woofers
-Rear firing tweeter on the GR design.

I would love to here the two in an 'A/B' Comparison. I'm sure both would sound very similar in many ways, and I'm assuming the better of the two may come down to listener preference.

Nice build! I hope to here some in the near future.

-Jamie-

dgshtav

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2009, 12:15 am »
Thanks for the review.

And awesome build too. I really like the look of your speakers! Are you planning on grills?

Can you also share what Line Arrays do you currently have?

Thanks again.

- DGS

emac

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:08 am »
Perry

I have been lurking this thread for a while. the final design came out very nice. I like the form follows function look. I am very interested to see how these compare to the Hawthorne Sterling Silver Duets and Trios. they are built on the same principals

-Open Baffle below 1000-1500Hz
-Pro Sound Coaxial mids and highs
-Powered Woofers (Active Low pass X-over)

Differences

-Flat baffle vs. H-frame
-High efficiency lower x-max Woofers vs. High x-max lower efficiency woofers
-Rear firing tweeter on the GR design.

I would love to here the two in an 'A/B' Comparison. I'm sure both would sound very similar in many ways, and I'm assuming the better of the two may come down to listener preference.

Nice build! I hope to here some in the near future.

-Jamie-

2nd that. 

grubyhalo

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2009, 02:48 am »
I'd third that.  :thumb: These are the only 2 speakers that I'm considering at this time...

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2009, 03:44 am »
As far as grills........yes I have considered them.
I have been looking at options on how to build them, but every time I
think of what would look good I come up with something that might look better, so.....

As the Hawthorne comparison goes I cant comment.....have never heard them.
But I have been to their site and they look similar.....but I would like to compare them,
the low end on these are going to be tough to beat.

These seem to get better all the time. Been doing a lot of experimenting with placement.
There are so many ways these sound really nice, but different when you change your
listening position.......cool.

As far as my other gear, this is Dannys circle, I think I'll stay on topic.

Perry

dgshtav

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2009, 05:27 am »
EDIT: Never mind!  :oops:

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2009, 03:48 pm »
Regarding the Hawthorne products:

I have spoken with Darell and have made some tentative plans to do some up and coming things together. He even recently announced this in his forum.

I tested and measured the Silver Iris driver and even designed a new network for it that I shared with Darell. The new network that I designed for it had to be somewhat complex and involved several corrective circuits needed to resolve amplitude variations. It would likely put a pretty good hit to the price of that driver had it been offered with my network and pushed it into a difference price range. Rather than do something like that Darell felt that it would be better if my skills were used in assisting with a higher end flagship type design.

So hang in there and we'll see where this goes. It could be that Hawthorne may very well have an offering in the performance range of the Venue in the future. I for one look forward to the challenge of help making that happen.

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2009, 03:58 pm »
Regarding the Hawthorne products:

I have spoken with Darell and have made some tentative plans to do some up and coming things together. He even recently announced this in his forum.

I tested and measured the Silver Iris driver and even designed a new network for it that I shared with Darell. The new network that I designed for it had to be somewhat complex and involved several corrective circuits needed to resolve amplitude variations. It would likely put a pretty good hit to the price of that driver had it been offered with my network and pushed it into a difference price range. Rather than do something like that Darell felt that it would be better if my skills were used in assisting with a higher end flagship type design.

So hang in there and we'll see where this goes. It could be that Hawthorne may very well have an offering in the performance range of the Venue in the future. I for one look forward to the challenge of help making that happen.
OK I'm hanging in there, but did you do anything with the Sterling version that has the higher end Mundorf network? 

If so, any thoughts on dual servo GR's with the Sterling Silver Iris or even the basic Silver Iris?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:06 pm »
I did not look into the Sterling version, but I did play the Silver Iris in open baffle with a pair of SW-12-16FR's in a Venue test box.

lord dubious

« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2009, 09:44 am »
I did not look into the Sterling version, but I did play the Silver Iris in open baffle with a pair of SW-12-16FR's in a Venue test box.
And what did you think?
Also, is there a 12" silver iris dual concentric in open baffle with the SW-12-16FRs on the drawing board?
Cheers

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2009, 01:27 pm »
Let's just say that I could see no sense in using it in that application and leave it at that. If you want a list of details then you can call me.