Alan Maher's Power Enhancer

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
Re: Alan Maher's Power Enhancer
« Reply #80 on: 12 Nov 2007, 11:33 pm »
Make sure to scrub the ac blades with steel wool and a ProGold 100% solution.  The blades will buff up to a mirror shine....it offers a little more delicate detail up top when using bronze or brass outlets.

Alan Maher

Alan Maher designs
http://www.alanmaherdesigns.com

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #81 on: 13 Nov 2007, 12:54 am »
I just would like to do a follow up, does everyone understand the basic concept of series wiring vs. parallel?  

BTW, series wiring can only be achieved with outlets that allow rear wiring.  Side wired outlets can not be wired for series.  In a side wire code only permits one wire per screw terminals.  Rear wiring allows for up to 4 wires per side (hot and neutral).

Alan Maher

Alan Maher designs
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 01:23 am by alanmaher »

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #82 on: 13 Nov 2007, 01:48 pm »
I'm not a big fan of conductive paste....it mucks up the inside of the duplex.  It's OK if you never plan on breaking the connection, but I would avoid the stuff when using plug and play.

Alan Maher

Alan Maher designs

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #83 on: 14 Nov 2007, 02:40 am »
robin, you realize that this particular hammond power strip takes special power cords w/male iec's to plug in to it?  why not look for an unfiltered strip that accepts standard 3-prong power cords?

doug s.
Alan, UPS delivered this advanced filtered Furman power strip because I needed 8 oulets so I could pull all my video equipment (3 satellite receivers, HD decoder,Sony XBR HDtv, 2 exterior hard drives) and my subwoofer out of the BPT so's to make room for 5 PE's. As good as the video has improved from only 1 PE in the back of the BPT, I don't want to lose that if that's what a filtered power strip will do. the power strip will sit on the floor behind a 5 shelf rack and directly behind my BPT with a mass of wiring & power cords. That's basically what I was thinking about when I went with a filtered strip. I want all the benefits that having 5 PE's in the back of my BP-2.5 will offer me, even if it'sjust for my video & subwoofer. I haven't even opened the Furmen box yet and won't if I'll just be sending back to Audio Adviser.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FUPST8

Here's an all metal Hammond 8 outlet strip that I was looking at if a nonfiltered strip is the way I should go,,,,
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=816-0155&SEARCH=&MPN=1583T8E1BK&DESC=1583T8E1BK&R=816%2D0155&sid=4738E90075B8617F#

So whatsha think Alan?

Cheers,
Robin

Doublej

« Reply #84 on: 14 Nov 2007, 03:03 am »
If you are looking for a great power strip with no filters, switches, etc. check out the 9 plug NAIM Power strip for <$50. It's a Wiremold available from Allied Electric. A web search should get you the model number.

toes

« Reply #85 on: 14 Nov 2007, 04:13 am »
Hi Alan,

Yes, I understand your instructions very clearly.  This forum has help me alot.  I have 2 PE on order.  All of my audio components are plug into my shunyata Hydra 8.  The first thing I did was to buy a receptacle tester for $7 at Walmart.  This tester has three small lights to indicate if ground, neutral, and hot are wired correctly.  My stereo is located in my livingroom, so I turned off my livingroom circuit at the control panel to check the wiring inside to the same wall duplex outlet which my Hydra 8 is plugged into.  But before opening the duplex outlet, I decided to check all the duplex outlets inside my livingroom with the receptacle tester to make sure all duplex outlets are dead.  To my surpise two duplex outlets in my livingroom were still alive!!!   These two unused duplex outlets are located along the wall that separates my livingroom and Kitchen.  So please everyone, don't assume all the duplex outlets in your listening room are on the same circuit.
As for me I'm ready to go, the hot and neutral wirings were connected only to the bottom outlet of the wall duplex outlet.  I have only one question.  Should we unplug the PE during a thunder storm?

Richard H.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #86 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:23 am »
Robin

No big deal...I use other methods to filter a/c as well.

Alan Maher

Alan Maher designs

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #87 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:27 am »
Richard

No need to unplug the PE during a thunder/lightning storm.  Multiple PE's on the phase will deal with stray inductance caused by a surge.

Alan Maher

Alan Maher designs

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #88 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:40 am »
BTW, these are great if you are looking for a high quality filtered power strip:

http://www.elect-spec.com/acprot2.htm#Laboratory

I use the lab grade wire in version in all my commercial installs for to help with circuit isolation and surge protection.  The filter provides excellent surge protection (58,000 surge amps at 1 pico second).  Not all filters are created equal, both the lab grade strip and wire-in sound great only in the 20 and 30 amp models.  They use larger inductors on the 20 / 30 amp versions provide slightly better sound and bass / lower midrange response compared to the 10a and 15a models.

BTW, we are using the lab grade wire-in as part of the new power strip coming out in early 08'.

Alan Maher

Alan Maher designs

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #89 on: 14 Nov 2007, 12:56 pm »
if it were me, i'd spend a few dollars more, & get one w/only eight outlets, to have orientation so that a few wall-warts won't block other outlets:

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=533-8891&SEARCH=&MPN=J08B2B&DESC=J08B2B&R=533%2D8891&sid=473A3A8038D6E17F

doug s.

robin, you realize that this particular hammond power strip takes special power cords w/male iec's to plug in to it?  why not look for an unfiltered strip that accepts standard 3-prong power cords?

doug s.

Doug, I'm sending the Furman filtered power strip back and have ordered the Wireworld L10320 9-outlet 2 prong power strip for a cool $100 savings.  8)

Robin

Huck

« Reply #90 on: 14 Nov 2007, 01:57 pm »
if it were me, i'd spend a few dollars more, & get one w/only eight outlets, to have orientation so that a few wall-warts won't block other outlets:

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=533-8891&SEARCH=&MPN=J08B2B&DESC=J08B2B&R=533%2D8891&sid=473A3A8038D6E17F

doug s.

doug s.

Doug, I'm sending the Furman filtered power strip back and have ordered the Wireworld L10320 9-outlet 2 prong power strip for a cool $100 savings.  8)

Robin

Hi: I am not sure, but on this unit, which looks like a rack-mount, having any PE's plugged into this would have this unit sitting on a weird angle, due to fact of the PE's hanging down if they are to be orientated correctly, unless you want to have this unit standing on it's side, or standing on something so that the PE(s) clear?? . Also is using a "filtering" type power-bar(not particularly this one)defeating the purpose of the PE(s) ? Thanks, Huck :scratch:

« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2007, 02:21 pm by Huck »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #91 on: 14 Nov 2007, 02:48 pm »
huck,

this power strip has no filtering; one of the reasons i mentioned it.  as far as its orientation, imo, these things are pretty-much always sitting at a funny angle, unless rack mounted.  as they are usually tucked out of the way, i am not sure how it's sitting really matters...

doug s.

doug s.

doug s.

Robin

Hi: I am not sure, but on this unit, which looks like a rack-mount, having any PE's plugged into this would have this unit sitting on a weird angle, due to fact of the PE's hanging down if they are to be orientated correctly, unless you want to have this unit standing on it's side, or standing on something so that the PE(s) clear?? . Also is using a "filtering" type power-bar(not particularly this one)defeating the purpose of the PE(s) ? Thanks, Huck :scratch:

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #92 on: 14 Nov 2007, 07:56 pm »
Good news!!!  PE and PE II parts are in.  All orders will ship between Saturday and Tuesday.  PE III pre-orders are on hold until the gold wiring arrives.  Most likely my partner will take care of those orders.  Pre-orders toward the next batch of filters can start now.  Average wait time is two weeks (pending the speed of the postman) before shipping.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Regards
Alan Maher

Alan Maher designs

denjo

« Reply #93 on: 15 Nov 2007, 12:18 am »
Hey Robin

Looks like Christmas came earlier for you - a lot earlier! Mine will be in 2008, I think. Alan has also added a new model, the PE Model IV!

Enjoy and keep us posted!

Best Regards
Dennis

HumanMedia

« Reply #94 on: 15 Nov 2007, 12:42 am »
When are the PE IV shipping?

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #95 on: 15 Nov 2007, 12:48 am »
Carl

Refresh my memory....you only have the LE PE, correct?  Did you ever order the PE and PE II?  BTW, the LE PE Mk II is what I'm calling the PE III.  The MK II is slightly different, a little less bass bloom, but mids, highs, and soundstage are the same. 

Pre-order Date: December 1, 2007.  Release Date: Jan 20, 2008,  Pre-orders will all be filled early as the parts arrive.  It's a big boy....16 parallel caps in 8 different values.

Alan Maher
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2007, 08:58 pm by alanmaher »

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #96 on: 15 Nov 2007, 10:36 am »
Yes....the price is $225 (if there's enough interest, maybe we could do an exclusive AudioCircle offer?).  However, I do not recommend this filter for your set up.  Stick to the PE and PE II. 

Our filter system is designed to be used exclusive with each other, without the need for other audiophile PLC designs.  We market the PE as a multi purpose filter that can be used with all kinds of PLC designs. 

The PE II, III, and IV were designed, and should be used, to enhance our system and cable line. 

The simplest way to describe this would be, think of those paint-by-number pictures you used to do as a child.  The basic PE cleans up the circuit, and provides the basic picture.  The PE II, III, and IV are the individual colors that create and enhance the picture. 

Alan Maher
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2007, 10:49 am by alanmaher »

HChi

« Reply #97 on: 15 Nov 2007, 06:05 pm »
Yes....the price is $225 (if there's enough interest, maybe we could do an exclusive AudioCircle offer?).  However, I do not recommend this filter for your set up.  Stick to the PE and PE II. 

Our filter system is designed to be used exclusive with each other, without the need for other audiophile PLC designs.  We market the PE as a multi purpose filter that can be used with all kinds of PLC designs. 

The PE II, III, and IV were designed, and should be used, to enhance our system and cable line. 

The simplest way to describe this would be, think of those paint-by-number pictures you used to do as a child.  The basic PE cleans up the circuit, and provides the basic picture.  The PE II, III, and IV are the individual colors that create and enhance the picture. 

Alan Maher

Alan,
It appears that there seem to be specific requirements of using various models of PE.  Could you elaborate on the recommended usage and unique palette for each model?  I think it would help each of us tremendously paint that "perfect" picture in each person's system.   If there is gonna be an exclusive AC offer, I would be interested.

Thanks,
Howard

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #98 on: 15 Nov 2007, 08:49 pm »
Howard

We'll see about the offer....talk to me after I get off the road for the year....I can't think about that stuff for right now.  As of now, I have all the PE's and PE II's drying and I plan to start soldering in the buss wiring tomorrow. 

Tonal picture:

PE: Dynamic, fantastic top and bottom frequency extension, tight bass, clear mids, excellent male and female vocals, open top end.

PE II: Dynamic, enhanced top and bottom extension, realistic tonal pitch and definition in the bass, midrange shading, soundstage layering (depth), tonal colors in vocals, top end detail.

PE III: Dynamic, fleshed in midrange, excellent soundstage layering, width, and height, extended top end, harmonic delicacy in the upper mids and treble.

PE IV: Dynamic, reveals last bit of midrange details, realistic soundstage size, enhanced top end extension.

Each filter builds off the last application.  One of each model on the a/v circuit is all that is needed.  Non-a/v circuits should be treated with at least 1 to 3 PE or PE II models....usually a 60/40 mix is best....with more PE's installed rather than PE II's.

Alan Maher

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #99 on: 15 Nov 2007, 09:02 pm »
Robin

The better option is a PE II at the wall with the BPT power cord. 

Alan Maher