Digital Amp Comparison 2007

mattburk

Re: Digital Amp Comparison 2007
« Reply #120 on: 13 Mar 2007, 09:16 pm »
we look forward to you not reading it!

That was a great response. I am still laughing.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #121 on: 13 Mar 2007, 09:53 pm »
I've played with a few "pure" digital amplifiers.   After much thinking and planning I figured the only way I could get pure digital playback without a A/D conversion was to play back the 0s & 1s as a square wave.   Of course this isn't absolutely pure digital.   I've yet to find a transducer that reacts to something other than a signal in the amplitude and time domain.   

I've done some extensive A/B comparisons and listening test.   I like to use my wife or sometimes my dog Dallas.   He has excellent hearing and can hear details in the music that I miss entirely.   

The results of this careful study is that the pure digital playback is never as musical sounding.   It is etched in the upper frequencies and Dallas tends to whimper and whine whenever I play back the square wave.   

I'm still working on it though.  I've thought of going to a pure silk dome tweeter might help with some of the edginess.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #122 on: 13 Mar 2007, 10:59 pm »
Please tell me nobody is taking my post seriously.   I'm joking....  my dog doesn't even have that good of hearing unless I open the refrigerator.

Loftprojection

« Reply #123 on: 13 Mar 2007, 11:47 pm »
Please tell me nobody is taking my post seriously.   I'm joking....  my dog doesn't even have that good of hearing unless I open the refrigerator.

I thought it was kind of a strange post but hey, you can find all kinds of people on the internet.  I have to admit I was really trying to picture in my mind a dog sitting in the sweet spot and giving you dog feedback on the sound quality!   :icon_lol:

Ettepet

« Reply #124 on: 14 Mar 2007, 12:02 am »

If upper end frequencies are way out of line my cat will react annoyed, just like with heavy bass.  I sometimes look at my cat to see if a recording or change in setup is "cat proof" (cats hear higher). :)

But opening a refrigerator or plastic foil containers have a larger impact on his mood and activities.  I guess cats and dogs are much alike. ;)

clarke68

• http://www.robinsononline.com/clarke
« Reply #125 on: 14 Mar 2007, 06:48 pm »

Thanks a lot:evil:

After I read your first post I went and put all my digital gear on Audiogon, then went and ordered a VPI Super Scoutmaster from musicdirect.com.

Dang, I don't even have any LPs!   :duh:

Cacophonix

« Reply #126 on: 16 Mar 2007, 07:33 pm »
Hi All,

Anybody going to Art's place for the amp shootout from Dallas?

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #127 on: 16 Mar 2007, 08:11 pm »
I'm going.  :green:

Cacophonix

« Reply #128 on: 16 Mar 2007, 08:25 pm »
I'm going.  :green:

:lol:

Man, I am not sure if i can make it to art's place on sunday as well ... so i was hoping that someone from dallas could pick up the onkyo from you, and i can pick it up later on in the evening.

Danny Richie

« Reply #129 on: 16 Mar 2007, 08:28 pm »
Marvin is supposed to be there, I think. I might could pass it off to Marvin. He's closer to you that Art, I think.

Hey Marvin???

Gary Dodd is going to be there too. He lives in Garland. I could pass it off to him. 

Cacophonix

« Reply #130 on: 16 Mar 2007, 08:34 pm »
Marvin is supposed to be there, I think. I might could pass it off to Marvin. He's closer to you that Art, I think.

Hey Marvin???

Gary Dodd is going to be there too. He lives in Garland. I could pass it off to him. 

Yeh, Garland is fine. I can pick it up from Gary.
That'll give me an excuse to check out some of his gear  :thumb:

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #131 on: 16 Mar 2007, 10:16 pm »
Hello...... I'll be there.  I am closer than Art but not by much :lol:
Marvin

marvda1

« Reply #132 on: 18 Mar 2007, 12:28 am »
Thanks Art, had a great time, I'm sitting in the emergency room getting my arm set since I was forced...aah..persuaded to judge today. :lol:
Marvin

Danny Richie

« Reply #133 on: 18 Mar 2007, 01:04 am »
It was a blast. All went well and was very interesting and a lot of fun. I can't wait to talk about it all.  aa

Art was a great host too.

Thanks Art.

Tweaker

« Reply #134 on: 18 Mar 2007, 03:15 am »
  I can't wait to talk about it all. 
Don't wait. Spill the beans NOW!!! OK, OK, maybe just a hint, like which ones you liked the best, in order, and a detailed description as to why.

Danny Richie

« Reply #135 on: 18 Mar 2007, 01:49 pm »
You'll hae to read about it first on Stereomojo. Then we can talk more about it and answer questions.

Tweaker

« Reply #136 on: 18 Mar 2007, 07:39 pm »
I was just kidding, (sort of). I am anxious to hear the results, though  as I am in the process of making some sweeping changes to my system, and there are two or three amps on that list that I am keenly interested in, I will most likely be making a purchase based on your findings. So don't screw up!!!   :lol:
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2007, 08:09 pm by Tweaker »

marvda1

« Reply #137 on: 18 Mar 2007, 08:02 pm »
anything for a price!!  how about $$$ to my paypal account :drool:
marvin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #138 on: 18 Mar 2007, 08:15 pm »
A question you can answer, I think.....was the final total for amps and integrateds 11 pieces tested ? (ask per Stereo Mojo )
Thanks........... :thumb:

robert1325

« Reply #139 on: 18 Mar 2007, 08:23 pm »
This is going to be very exciting  :thumb:    Will the trends ta-10 hold a candle against all those expensive amps or not ?  :drool: