Digital Amp Comparison 2007

arthurs

Re: Digital Amp Comparison 2007
« Reply #100 on: 8 Mar 2007, 10:32 pm »
Danny - I also didn't hear back from you on the MGLAUDIOLABS, here/not here?

Danny Richie

« Reply #101 on: 8 Mar 2007, 10:35 pm »
Not here as of today. I wonder if it will get here by tomorrow?

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #102 on: 9 Mar 2007, 03:04 pm »
Danny,

I sent you the tracking # of the Nuforce. Be sure to read the manual so it doesn't get blown up.

Hey, I have a few Heart CDs and LPs! hehe! :P

Danny Richie

« Reply #103 on: 9 Mar 2007, 03:24 pm »
I am on my way to Fort Worth to take a load of amps and stuff down and help get ready for tomorrow.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #104 on: 9 Mar 2007, 03:31 pm »
Looking forward to reading all about your weekend event, should be pretty interesting. Have fun guys.  :thumb:

Cheers

brj

« Reply #105 on: 10 Mar 2007, 10:45 pm »
Thanks for the hospitality this morning, Art, and thanks to Kathy for grabbing us an excellent BBQ lunch!

I wish I could have stayed beyond just the first round of integrated amp comparisons, but even that was fun - as always!  My internet access will be spotty for the next few days, but I'll be curious to read about the final breakdown.

Enjoy the power amp comparison next weekend, everyone!

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #106 on: 11 Mar 2007, 12:53 am »
Art,
Thanks to you and your wife for your hospitatility.  It was fun being there for three 'rounds'.
You guys have fun next weekend - I'll be building dipole baffles for a customer and then on to the interesting two-ways.

arthurs

« Reply #107 on: 11 Mar 2007, 01:00 am »
It was great to have everyone here, thanks to our panel for their time and expertise, it was a long but fun day....as for the results, I hate to disappoint everyone, but you'll need to read about them first at StereoMojo.com in the coming weeks....we'll do the power amps next weekend and hope to publish our method, music selections, and of course the shootout results and remarks on each peice from the panel as quickly as we can after that.    I'm certain the panel will be open to some good-natured dialogue or Q&A here on the circle once it's published....

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #108 on: 11 Mar 2007, 01:27 am »
thanks for a great time Art.
marvin

Danny Richie

« Reply #109 on: 11 Mar 2007, 04:14 am »
Thanks Art. It was even better than last year, and I lot easier for me.  :D

You were a great host and all went really well.

alotaklipsch

« Reply #110 on: 11 Mar 2007, 06:01 am »
ARTHUR, YOU DA MAN, STEPPING UP TO DA PLATE, CONGRAT'S, AND HOPE IT WAS FUN :duh: :drool:AND NOT TO MUCH TO CLEAN...HEH HEH HEH :duh:

texasphile

« Reply #111 on: 11 Mar 2007, 09:19 am »
Thanks very much Art and we'll see you in a week.  Sorry for the extra time taken by me after all had finished.    Thanks so much for your hospitality!  I hope that your 10:15 appointment went well.

Chris

"Once more into the breech, dear friends" (Shakespeare Henry V Act 3 Scene 1).

arthurs

« Reply #112 on: 11 Mar 2007, 12:59 pm »
"300" was pretty incredible.... :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #113 on: 11 Mar 2007, 01:53 pm »
It was great to have everyone here, thanks to our panel for their time and expertise, it was a long but fun day....as for the results, I hate to disappoint everyone, but you'll need to read about them first at StereoMojo.com in the coming weeks....we'll do the power amps next weekend and hope to publish our method, music selections, and of course the shootout results and remarks on each peice from the panel as quickly as we can after that.    I'm certain the panel will be open to some good-natured dialogue or Q&A here on the circle once it's published....

TEASE!!   :lol:

George

jhm731

« Reply #114 on: 11 Mar 2007, 11:09 pm »
Were any of the amps tested with a digital input?

It's a shame you didn't have any of the TacT/Boz amps there(the LYNGDORF SDA 2175 isn't a full digital amp, plus why pay $1800.
for this thing, when you can get a TacT S2150 for $1600.), especially the ones modified by Aberdeen.

arthurs

« Reply #115 on: 11 Mar 2007, 11:25 pm »
No digital input, all are being tested with the Resolution Audio Opus21 providing the front end...

jhm731

« Reply #116 on: 12 Mar 2007, 05:18 pm »
No digital input, all are being tested with the Resolution Audio Opus21 providing the front end...

Thanks for the info.

Now I can skip the StereoMojo.com report.

arthurs

« Reply #117 on: 12 Mar 2007, 08:09 pm »
we look forward to you not reading it!

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #118 on: 12 Mar 2007, 08:25 pm »
I am not sure if any of these amplifiers even have a digital input.

The thing that is totaly unfortunately misleading about class D amplifier is that they are always called "Digital" even the title of this thread, the title of the shootout etc are wrong.  They are "switching amplifiers", not digital amplifiers, and they are completely analog from the input to the output.

I believe that there are a *few* amplifiers that have some sort of digital input to them, but even with SPDIF data there needs to be a conversion process to get to some PWM format etc, and some filtering or oversampling to prevent aliasing.

Add to that the fact that you have to control the volume somehow and you DO NOT want to do that by chopping bits, even when well-dithered, you start to loose dynamics at some point.

So, the bottom line is that none of these amplifiers could even accept a digital input without having a D/A device inside of them, and to perform this at line level and feed the analog signal to the analog input of the analog amplifier.

Now, one common argument is that the output stage is switching on and off, however, the time duration of the on/off cycles is infinitely adjustable, so it couldnt even be charecterized as a digital output.  It would be an analog output with two states, pegged at the negative rail, or pegged to the positive rail, but with an infinitely variable duty cycle (time spent at one of the states vs. the other).

-Paul

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #119 on: 12 Mar 2007, 09:57 pm »

Thanks for the info.

Now I can skip the StereoMojo.com report.

Why do you feel the need to post stuff like that?

It was stated much earlier in the thread that these aren't true digital amps like Panasonic and TacT offer...

Sheesh!

George