Digital Amp Comparison 2007

bummrush

Re: Digital Amp Comparison 2007
« Reply #160 on: 31 Mar 2007, 07:28 pm »
Take your time,it will still be interesting,thanks for undertaking it in the first place.

Audioexcels

« Reply #161 on: 1 Apr 2007, 01:05 am »
audioexcels, if he didn't give a time frame you would post everyday asking when.

I have looked for the results nearly everyday;)...I don't need to be making posts:).  My post regarding time frame is not to be looked at in a negative light.  I didn't have a chance to get online until now or I would have made my post much clearer that I was only suggesting for future reference that if something (take anything you prefer) is stated to be released "sometime" around the end of a "specific" time/datestamp, then it should be released by that specified time.  In this instance, that was the "end of March".  If it was worded more like, "results should be in "around" the end of March or perhaps by the end of March", then this says you may see the results by the end of March, but there is no guarantee.  Remember, these tests are only a few people's assessments of particular pieces of equipment on the market.  Does it mean a guy/girl that has a beloved and trusted amp of choice in their system will run out and buy one of these amps?  More importantly, does it mean that due to the likings of this panel for one amp over any other amp, and even by a large margin, that we should all go out and get this amp?  The answer to these questions is just as subjective as the review will be.  At the same time, the review will give a very qualified board of listener's point of view on each of the amps which can serve as some sort of basis for what one may consider purchasing over the 1000's of other amps that are not in this review (class anything type amps).

Audioexcels

« Reply #162 on: 1 Apr 2007, 01:37 am »
The delay is on me, a couple of unexpected life events put me behind schedule a few days and I just finished writing everything up this past week, also keep in mind there were 8 rounds of shootout over two Saturdays and around 100 reviewer sheets to compile and condense. so it was a bit of a job in the last couple weeks even if nothing interfered.  James has all the info now so we shouldn't be too long before we're in print.  Thanks in advance for a bit of patience and understanding.

This is for both StereoMojo and you.  I wrote my post/response early today or was it late last night?:).  Anyhow, I didn't mean to come off in any sort of negative way whatsoever.  I hope you know that my only point is to take into consideration, for future reference, the "professional" nature of such publications.  I can understand personal issues that may interfere, but it is to say that it seems like there was just so much information involved that even if you knew a week ahead of time, you could have revised the anticipated date and even stated something like, "this is taking much longer than we had anticipated and the wait will be well worth it.  We "cannot" say when the results will be posted, but we are looking now at a point sometime around mid-April, etc.".

Anyhow...I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with so much work on top of your everyday job/life/work and I hope that A) We get a revised date of finalization that may be a give/take sort of date (see above="may" be done by mid April, or even at the end of April, etc. etc.  and B) That you understand that this is only my opinion on how I would have personally handled this situation and that I, nor anyone else should or has any hard feelings about this review not being in by the time stated.

Will keep my eyes open and hope that you and your family and personal life is at the most important healthy state, and that I thank you for what you offer to the community of us audio lovers.  Thanks again for everything and all you do.

Regards,
Audioexcels

bummrush

« Reply #163 on: 1 Apr 2007, 02:44 am »
It doesnt bother me to wait,I'm pretty sure it will beat that mismash of the Ab. Sound,they called reveiws in 166,was that the number?It was a cleansing to toss that issue away.

audionut101

« Reply #164 on: 1 Apr 2007, 04:12 pm »
I will give you a clue - the Panasonic receiver did not win...javascript:void(0);

James Darby
Publisher _ Stereomojo

Sorry to be negative here, but I will bet you ANYTHING that there isnt a SINGLE person who has bought the panasonic use the analog inputs for critical listening.  100% of the audiophile customers have and will ONLY use the digital inputs- simply put, there is no other reason to purchase the panasonic.  Thus, I think it should have been tested that way.  Just because none of the other amps allow digital input doesnt shouldnt have been the limiting factor.  Either way, look forward to the review!!

arthurs

« Reply #165 on: 1 Apr 2007, 05:16 pm »
I will give you a clue - the Panasonic receiver did not win...javascript:void(0);

James Darby
Publisher _ Stereomojo

Sorry to be negative here, but I will bet you ANYTHING that there isnt a SINGLE person who has bought the panasonic use the analog inputs for critical listening.  100% of the audiophile customers have and will ONLY use the digital inputs- simply put, there is no other reason to purchase the panasonic.  Thus, I think it should have been tested that way.  Just because none of the other amps allow digital input doesnt shouldnt have been the limiting factor.  Either way, look forward to the review!!

Perhaps a mini-shootout of the Panny versus itself using the different inputs is in order.  might shed some light on that aspect of its performance for people...

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #166 on: 1 Apr 2007, 08:43 pm »
I have a deal for you..hehe. I will take off work and finish up the COMPLETE shootout TOMORROW...if...you guys help us spread the shootout on other websites you visit such as AudioAsylum and Audiogon. Otherwise, it could be next weekend. *I* have TWO dayjobs other than Stereomojo. hehe

Seriously, I've worked on the shootout all day Saturday and Sunday. Going to take Linda to see Tom Jones tonight for our anniversary so have to stop now. (4:40 Eastern Time). I will publish them ASAP - no promises needed from you guys, you have been terrific. I was kiddin'. April Fools, you know.

I'm thinking of doing a followup shootout with the overall winner vs. a similarly priced tube amp vs. a similarly priced normal solid state. What do you think?
 BTW, we will be do FULL reviews of the winners of the Integrated and the Power Amp. The guys, from what they gave me, did not declare and overall winner, so I guess that is up to me. Oh the power...hehe.

Thanks again to everyone - including all of you. We really do want you to feel like SM is YOUR site. Readers guide us, we just manage things. There are no egos here at SM. We are all a team.

James Darby

NealH

« Reply #167 on: 1 Apr 2007, 09:12 pm »
I don't get this.  Didn't the shootout occur two or more weeks ago?  Why not let participants post their subjective opinions on this forum as has been done in past shootouts?   Comments, summary reviews and dialogue tend to indicate to us what we might want to audition in the future.  Trying to compile, edit and rationalize opinions for the purpose of enclosing them in an organized structure or, deducing a ranking or rating system poses the risk of some comments being interpreted in a skewed perspective.  Then the dialog and comments end up happening anyway for clarification and follow-up.  In effect the subject matter is rehashed. 

Just let people talk and be happy.  I don't see the point here in trying to be so formal. 

maxwalrath

« Reply #168 on: 1 Apr 2007, 09:32 pm »
I hope people's memories of the experience are still intact when they can discuss their opinions. 

chriss

« Reply #169 on: 1 Apr 2007, 11:17 pm »
"I will take off work and finish up the COMPLETE shootout TOMORROW...if...you guys help us spread the shootout on other websites you visit such as AudioAsylum and Audiogon. "

Well, I guess thats one way to avoid the self promotion rules on those websites.

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
Chris & rnhood
« Reply #170 on: 2 Apr 2007, 01:59 am »
Chris, way to take a remark out of context. i said it was a joke. And you ignored everything else that was said. We don't need that. You just embarassed yourself.

Mr hood, we did something that has never been done before. A blind shootout of 14 different amps before a panel of reviwers. Maybe you should try it sometime before you criticize. If this were any other publication, especially a print mag like Stereophile or TAS, it would be MONTHS before you got results. IF they could muster up the resources to do it in the first place. And you are complaining about 2 weeks.

Everybody calm down. This is not life or death. It's fun, passion and enjoyment. Don't ruin it for those who possess those things.

ttan98

« Reply #171 on: 2 Apr 2007, 10:55 am »
Many thanks to the reviewers, particularly the organiser(s) and not to mention the person(s) who is do writing up, according to me the most difficult job, many hours of work, writing and collating the data....

Three cheers to all of them...

Looking forward to read the review.... :)

robert1325

« Reply #172 on: 2 Apr 2007, 11:21 am »
Also looking forward,  thank you  :thumb:

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
Thanks TTan & Robert
« Reply #173 on: 2 Apr 2007, 12:14 pm »
No one is looking foward to the results more than the people involved. And it is really rewarding when you guys say something - anything - nice. We are not a bunch of elite "journalists", we are all just folks who love music and the things that reproduce it in our homes. We all have jobs, wives, kids, mortgages and lots of audio gear we cannot afford - just like you. Nobody got paid for their time. So, let's just have fun with this. WE are!

The final results will be up by 7 pm tonight and YOU will be the first to know exactly when - we will announce it right HERE!

shep

« Reply #174 on: 2 Apr 2007, 12:27 pm »
You guys get all the koodos and then some!!! Nobody even noticed what restraint I excercized, having two of the amps involved :duh:! To give credit where it's due, when I sit down with me and myself, I can't for the life of us decide who'se right about what! and "we" never get as far as to write a review about anything. Hats off  :notworthy: :notworthy: Big night folks...

ttan98

« Reply #175 on: 2 Apr 2007, 12:45 pm »
I forget to mention........It's FREE!!!!!

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #176 on: 2 Apr 2007, 03:08 pm »
Hey James and all others.

I really appreciate what you guys are doing, being a small manufacturer, it is difficult to get the exposure that we want.  I don't think by any means that this is taking too long at all, and am thrilled that the results will be up tonight!

Thanks Guys,
Paul

Loftprojection

Re: Thanks TTan & Robert
« Reply #177 on: 2 Apr 2007, 03:45 pm »
No one is looking foward to the results more than the people involved. And it is really rewarding when you guys say something - anything - nice. We are not a bunch of elite "journalists", we are all just folks who love music and the things that reproduce it in our homes. We all have jobs, wives, kids, mortgages and lots of audio gear we cannot afford - just like you. Nobody got paid for their time. So, let's just have fun with this. WE are!

The final results will be up by 7 pm tonight and YOU will be the first to know exactly when - we will announce it right HERE!

Here is my word of encouragement.  I have never bought one of the mags writen by "elite journalists" like you call them.  I don't believe in their impartiality.  I'm not 100% sure on yours but I'm convinced it is certainly higher then what we get from the "elite"!  :thumb:  For me, impartiality in the review has WAY more value and plus or minus a couple of weeks of waiting to read it is nothing.  Maybe the mistake you made was to raise the excitement of people by publishing when the event was gonna take place.  Audio freaks are like kids in a minivan asking every 5 minutes, are we there yet!  :green:  Thanks for all the work you are putting into this, and many many thanks for giving it to us for FREE!!!!!

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #178 on: 2 Apr 2007, 04:39 pm »
Thanks everybody. The cream always rises! Just a note - I got up very early this morning to finish up the html editing and get it published. I was 90% finished when the proggy CRASHED and lost all the changes.javascript:void(0);
Duh

Don't worry...I *WILL* get it published, even if it's FUGLY. I am a perfectionist so that's not easy to say, but unless I'm dead, SOMETHING will be up there tonight! BTW, I am NOT an html/photoshop expert nor an artist. I'm learning as I go. If there is anyone who can help out with that, many things would go a LOT faster. We would, of course, credit you and/or your company if you are a pro. Just a thought.

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #179 on: 2 Apr 2007, 04:40 pm »
Apparently I can't even get THE SMILEYS right! LOL