NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs
« Reply #140 on: 26 Mar 2021, 02:45 pm »
Peter,

I took your advice and installed these press-fit inserts from McMaster-Carr. These are zinc-plated steel inserts, 4-40 thread size, were originally designed for soft metal.

Using a 7/32" drill bit, I drilled a 7/16" deep hole. Some epoxy and gentle coercion I got eight of these installed without a volcano.

That's cool. I have everything to do it but haven't yet.  Seems like a solid idea, would you agree now that you've done it? Even though it's not exactly how they're intended to be used, I imagined with the helix and epoxy the withdrawal strength would be more than enough for the task at hand. Is that your impression now that it's behind you?

chenson

« Reply #141 on: 3 May 2021, 09:40 pm »
Hello everyone. My name is Colin - I'm new here. I've been very slowly planning and working on my NX Studio build. I'm taking my time to do it right. I'm not in any hurry plus I have to wait for parts anyway.

I finally got around to gluing up the flat pack and thanks largely to Peter's video it came out nicely. As a side bonus I now own as many clamps as I'll probably ever need for the rest of my life.  :icon_lol:

I plan on applying a walnut veneer around the sides and back and then I'll paint the baffle. That seems like a common approach. So, my question for you is how do you handle the transition from the baffle to the veneered sides? On my build the baffle is at best, flush with with the sides (without veneer), and at worst a hair below the level of the sides. I was thinking of maybe trying to apply some Bondo to bring out the width of the baffle so that it is flush with the veneer once it is applied. Has anyone tried anything like this or do you have a better solution? I've never even worked with Bondo before so I'm not sure if this is a good solution or if I'm just asking for trouble.

JWCoffman

« Reply #142 on: 4 May 2021, 02:59 am »
Others here might have different thoughts, but I've used bondo under veneer with good results.  However, there are real limitations to bondo as the all-purpose stuff doesn't have much structural integrity and the glass infused stuff is a PITA to sand.  In your situation it would probably be fine and would be my first choice since it cures in just a few minutes, sands easily and readily accepts both paint and glue. In large quantities or over a large area I'd be worried about delamination of the bondo from the wood since they will react differently to thermal or humidity changes (as in, the wood will react but the bondo won't).  You would then end up with some bubbling under the veneer.  I've run into that issue with boat repairs where I got impatient and used too much bondo in place of epoxy.
Make sure to rough up the surface of the baffle before applying if it's not already rough.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #143 on: 4 May 2021, 03:13 am »
Use a table saw to cut shallow kerfs at the dividing line between the baffle and veneer. Gives a nice clean line. Only needs to be 1/16 inch deep. Maybe use a thin kerf blade. This is what I did on my NX Studio build.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #144 on: 4 May 2021, 02:00 pm »
Also, if you want the sides to be flush with the edge of the baffle, a better way than bondo is to just sand it flush with a sander (not a belt sander). The saw kerf technique makes this unnecessary.

JWCoffman

« Reply #145 on: 4 May 2021, 02:26 pm »
Also, if you want the sides to be flush with the edge of the baffle, a better way than bondo is to just sand it flush with a sander (not a belt sander). The saw kerf technique makes this unnecessary.
This would be the simplest solution, and would probably look great.

chenson

« Reply #146 on: 4 May 2021, 04:39 pm »
Oh, I like the idea of a shallow cut to create a nice line. I'll probably try that when I get to it. Thanks!

Fltguy

« Reply #147 on: 4 May 2021, 07:58 pm »
Chenson,

Greetings.

Interesting that you asked that question about veneered sides and the front baffle. Yesterday, I finished veneering my Studios. Today, I routed the forward edge of the veneer as it meets up with the baffle. I used a router with a straight bit. The cutter diameter is 1/16". I cut a shallow groove, I believe this is called a furniture cut. Literally, I borrowed the idea in hopes that visually, it would minimize the veneer standing proud of the baffle. The look is okay and I am going with it.

As I think about your dilemma, I wonder if gluing a veneer edge banding along the flat portion of the front baffle and then routing with a 1/2" round over would accomplish the look you seek. Ultimately, you will to paint the baffle black. It does not really matter what kind of wood is used for raising the edge.

The last picture is a magnified photo of the mahogany veneer proud of the baffle.