New Ray Samuels Phono Stage/ Nighthawk

tomjtx

Re: New Ray Samuels Phono Stage/ Nighthawk
« Reply #80 on: 25 Mar 2010, 03:27 am »
I've been leaving the Nighthawk on 24/7 and I've been so busy I didn't listen for a few days, Came back to listen and had to recharge the battery instead. (after 50+ hours of continuous on)

I listened to the reissue of Miles D. and my original Poi Dog Pondering.

The Poi Dog is WAY better recorded than the 'audiophile reissue of Miles.

The Poi Dog is simply one of the best recorded discs I have ever heard. I bought it new MANY years ago and I don't think it was meant to be an audiophile recording (which is probably why it is SO good.)

Anyway, back to the Nighthawk. I am hearing things I never heard before on these recordings. I wasn't listening tonight to hear my new Nighthawk. I was listening to music but I couldn't help but be surprised how much more I was hearing and ENJOYING what I was hearing.

Congrats, Ray, you have done it again.

JakeJ

« Reply #81 on: 25 Mar 2010, 03:51 pm »
My Nighthawk arrived yesterday and has begun it's burn-in.  I probably won't give it its first listen until tomorrow.  Really looking forward to it.

JakeJ

toobluvr

« Reply #82 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:11 pm »
Hey Jake....

What competition it will be facing?   Curious to hear your impressions.

John

JakeJ

« Reply #83 on: 25 Mar 2010, 11:18 pm »
Hi John

Well it's going to face the phono stage in my VAC CPA-1 MK II first and foremost.  Next will be a match against the Air Tight ATC-1s phono section and the Nighthawk run through the Melos MA-333R linestage.  All of this will take a while due to work and having my dad in rehab for his knee replacement surgery Monday 3/22.

However, I will make mini reports as I get from one test to the next.  :rules:

Stay tuned,
Jake

Also you have a PM.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #84 on: 28 Mar 2010, 03:48 pm »
Well the (my) verdict is in! The F-117 Nighthawk is staying put as my reference phonostage. Here is what did it for me:

1.   Very quite!! Black Background
2.   Its ability to “Retrieve Information” is incredible to say the least. I’m hearing instruments I’ve never heard before! On albums I’ve listened to for twenty years!!
3.   Imaging & Soundstage: Instruments suspended in space within the soundstage w/precision imaging (the Nighthawk is a perfect match for my new Von Schweikert Vortex VR-33 speakers. They throw the widest and deepest soundstage and the Nighthawk complements these speakers perfectly)
4.   Dynamic & Refined. Bass is deep & tight in my system.
5.   Smooth through the midrange, not tubey, but smooth
6.   Versatile: The ability to adjust the Load & Gain!!
7.   Last but not least: All of this for under $700.00??

I would like to see how this compares to some much more expensive phonostages? I think it would hold it’s own very well..

Nice Job Ray!!  :thumb:

Gary

tomjtx

« Reply #85 on: 28 Mar 2010, 10:51 pm »

X2, Gary.
Mine has 100 hrs now and is sounding incredible.
I've had some very expensive stages in my system but I haven't heard better than the Nighthawk.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #86 on: 28 Mar 2010, 11:28 pm »
X2, Gary.
Mine has 100 hrs now and is sounding incredible.
I've had some very expensive stages in my system but I haven't heard better than the Nighthawk.
For a reference, my Nighthawk has 216 hours. Your next 100 will even bring bigger changes.

tomjtx

« Reply #87 on: 30 Mar 2010, 01:29 am »
My Nighthawk arrived yesterday and has begun it's burn-in.  I probably won't give it its first listen until tomorrow.  Really looking forward to it.

JakeJ

OK, you've  had it 4 days now. we want a definitive opinion NOW   :D

JakeJ

« Reply #88 on: 30 Mar 2010, 03:48 pm »
tomjtx and all my fellow Nighthawk owners,

I ask a bit of latitude.  My 83 Y.O. dad had knee replacement surgery last Monday the 22nd and I had to move him to a rehab facility on Friday the 26th (thus my attempt to test that day was shot).  Turns out the food they serve is exceedingly bad and I can't just fetch fast food for him.  So I am cooking and it is time consuming.  Combined with my graveyard schedule and one hour commute each way makes time a luxury and a commodity.  I know, what a load of excuses.

That said, today begins my "days" off and my Nighthawk just completed its third charge/discharge cycle thus I look forward to doing some listening today and tomorrow.  My plan is to choose three albums, one rock, one jazz, and one classical that will provide a full spectrum of sonic challenges.

Rock will likely be my Japanese pressing of Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, classical will be one of my better copies of Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony with pipe organ, jazz I haven't decided on.  Selected tracks will be first played on the VAC CPA-1 full-function preamp then the Nighthawk into the CPA-1s linestage.  All on my primary system.  Needs updating as I have rearranged by rotating the room 90 degrees, worked heavily on speaker placement, and added a new digital front-end.

But first I need to get dad's Yankee Pot Roast in the oven.

Thanks fellers,
Jake

kgturner

« Reply #89 on: 30 Mar 2010, 04:16 pm »
i think it's fair to say that there's no need to feel like your making excuses. your family always comes first. hope your dad has a speedy recovery.

kevin t

JakeJ

« Reply #90 on: 30 Mar 2010, 05:00 pm »
Oh, he's fairly well motivated as the facility is also a long term care home and he has a howler for his next door neighbor.  Pretty much been 'round the clock.

Thanks for the thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.

Jake

tomjtx

« Reply #91 on: 30 Mar 2010, 08:39 pm »

Best to you and your Dad.
Sounds like he is doing well and in good spirits I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I hope you enjoy your listening time coming up.

Gopher

« Reply #92 on: 30 Mar 2010, 09:07 pm »
I posted a review of this phonostage over at head-fi if anyone is interested.  My reference was the Minimax Phono.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/review-nighthawk-f-117-a-480462/

toobluvr

« Reply #93 on: 30 Mar 2010, 11:44 pm »
I posted a review of this phonostage over at head-fi if anyone is interested.  My reference was the Minimax Phono.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/review-nighthawk-f-117-a-480462/

Alright...that does it!  I can't take it any more.  The proverbial last straw.  Damn you guys!     :finger:

Now, where's my credit card?!      :lol:

PS:   Very nice write-up, Gopher.    :thumb:
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2010, 01:12 am by toobluvr »

JakeJ

« Reply #94 on: 31 Mar 2010, 12:30 am »
OK, I just got through listening to the Nighthawk in comparison to the VAC CPA-1s built in phonostage using these three pieces of music:

1) Camille Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony by Charles Munch, BSO, Berj Zamkochian on organ.  This is an RCA Red Seal .5 series half-speed master reissue.
2) Genesis Trick of the Tail on MoFi
3) Egberto Gismonte Dancas Das Cabecas on ECM

First thing I must say is...WOW!  This little box truly is a giant killer.  It didn't better the VACs phono section but it definitely challenges it quite seriously.

I first listened to side B of the Saint-Saens piece noting the complexity of the Allegro moderato, Presto, Maestoso Allegro, and Molto Allegro movements as well as the power and presence of the organ.  Feeling the depth of the bass pedal notes and how the VACs tube phono section rendered the piece as a whole.

Next I listened to Dance on a Volcano from the Trick of the Tail and payed attention to its complexity and deep bass notes.

Finally I listened to Egberto Giasmonte's Quarto Mundo +1 which starts out with Egberto and Nan Vasconcelos painting a sonic picture of rain forest creatures and sounds as the intro and then taking off into the musical part of the song with Egberto on his 8-string guitar and Nana playing hand drums and the berimbau.  The piece is free of any repetitive melody and you really have to pay attention to what is going on.

The primary differences I noticed between the Nighthawk and the VAC were in the very top treble with the VAC being more smooth and relaxed, the Nighthawk has just a hint of edge and glint.  Deep bass was more tautly controlled with the Nighthawk but also somewhat mechanical.  The Nighthawk also rendered the soundstage with slightly more depth than the VAC and there was a tad more air around the instruments.  This was most noticeable on the Gismonte piece.

Keep in mind this is the first music passed through my Nighthawk and it has a scant 100 hours of "on" time so far.  I am quite confident it will improve over the next 100 hours as I play more music through it.  And to throw a twist into my plot I have a complete set of NOS tubes from Doc Cilantro to put in the VAC (which still has original tubes in the phono section) plus the Melos MA-333 to try it with.

That's all for now.  :thumb: :drool: :eyebrows: :rock:

JakeJ

Agreed with y'all, Gopher's review is nicely done.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #95 on: 31 Mar 2010, 01:02 am »
OK, I just got through listening to the Nighthawk in comparison to the VAC CPA-1s built in phonostage using these three pieces of music:

1) Camille Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony by Charles Munch, BSO, Berj Zamkochian on organ.  This is an RCA Red Seal .5 series half-speed master reissue.
2) Genesis Trick of the Tail on MoFi
3) Egberto Gismonte Dancas Das Cabecas on ECM

First thing I must say is...WOW!  This little box truly is a giant killer.  It didn't better the VACs phono section but it definitely challenges it quite seriously.

I first listened to side B of the Saint-Saens piece noting the complexity of the Allegro moderato, Presto, Maestoso Allegro, and Molto Allegro movements as well as the power and presence of the organ.  Feeling the depth of the bass pedal notes and how the VACs tube phono section rendered the piece as a whole.

Next I listened to Dance on a Volcano from the Trick of the Tail and payed attention to its complexity and deep bass notes.

Finally I listened to Egberto Giasmonte's Quarto Mundo +1 which starts out with Egberto and Nan Vasconcelos painting a sonic picture of rain forest creatures and sounds as the intro and then taking off into the musical part of the song with Egberto on his 8-string guitar and Nana playing hand drums and the berimbau.  The piece is free of any repetitive melody and you really have to pay attention to what is going on.

The primary differences I noticed between the Nighthawk and the VAC were in the very top treble with the VAC being more smooth and relaxed, the Nighthawk has just a hint of edge and glint.  Deep bass was more tautly controlled with the Nighthawk but also somewhat mechanical.  The Nighthawk also rendered the soundstage with slightly more depth than the VAC and there was a tad more air around the instruments.  This was most noticeable on the Gismonte piece.

Keep in mind this is the first music passed through my Nighthawk and it has a scant 100 hours of "on" time so far.  I am quite confident it will improve over the next 100 hours as I play more music through it.  And to throw a twist into my plot I have a complete set of NOS tubes from Doc Cilantro to put in the VAC (which still has original tubes in the phono section) plus the Melos MA-333 to try it with.

That's all for now.  :thumb: :drool: :eyebrows: :rock:

JakeJ

Agreed with y'all, Gopher's review is nicely done.
I had the same issue with the top end. It will smooth out. I had the Tubed Minimax.

toobluvr

« Reply #96 on: 31 Mar 2010, 01:09 am »
First thing I must say is...WOW!  This little box truly is a giant killer.

I'm not surprised to hear that Jake -- given all the positive press that is rolling in.

I have a complete set of NOS tubes from Doc Cilantro to put in the VAC (which still has original tubes in the phono section) plus the Melos MA-333 to try it with.

Hmmmm....methinks you have yet another phono section to compare it to....no?     :scratch:     :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #97 on: 31 Mar 2010, 02:54 am »
Darth,

How did you feel the Nighthawk stacked up against the Minimax in terms of dynamics.  I had a hard time choosing a winner in this department.

JakeJ

« Reply #98 on: 31 Mar 2010, 03:14 am »
I had the same issue with the top end. It will smooth out. I had the Tubed Minimax.

Thanks Darth,

I figured that as you stated in one of your posts there is more to come.  :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #99 on: 31 Mar 2010, 03:16 am »
I'm not surprised to hear that Jake -- given all the positive press that is rolling in.

Hmmmm....methinks you have yet another phono section to compare it to....no?     :scratch:     :thumb:

Yup, that's what I was alluding to.  Not to mention another tubed phono stage and two other tubed linestages to test with.  May find synergy with one of these other units.  YMMV.  :eyebrows: