DIY Dodd Buffer

srb

Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #540 on: 29 Oct 2010, 08:02 am »
The XDA-1 apparently works really well straight into the amplifier and outputs 12Volt peaks and I think like 2 amps. It's supposed to sound really nice.

However, it has a digital volume control.

My understanding was that the AD1955 DAC used in the XDA-1 utilizes an on-chip digitally controlled resistive ladder for volume control in the analog domain.

Steve

Mariusz

« Reply #541 on: 29 Oct 2010, 11:37 am »
Question guys.
I know this is all hypothetical, but tell me if you think a Dodd Buffer would be good in my situation:

So I've got an Emotiva ERC1 player, and I'll be getting soon the XDA-1 DAC. My plan now is to run ERC-1 and whatever else I get into (PC audio, etc) into the XDA-1 and the XDA-1 directly into the amplifier.

The XDA-1 apparently works really well straight into the amplifier and outputs 12Volt peaks and I think like 2 amps. It's supposed to sound really nice.

However, it has a digital volume control. Now while nobody knows how well theirs is implemented, do you think that by placing a Dodd Buffer between the XDA-1 (just turn it all the way up) and the amp, that I could get... even better sound?

So ERC-1 -> XDA-1 -> classD amp

or ERC-1 -> XDA-1 - > Dodd buffer -> classD amp?

Without a doubt, ......a dedicated quality preamp or buffer like Dodd will take SQ a notch or two higher.(99.9% of the time) YMMV

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #542 on: 29 Oct 2010, 02:09 pm »
Question guys.
I know this is all hypothetical, but tell me if you think a Dodd Buffer would be good in my situation:

So I've got an Emotiva ERC1 player, and I'll be getting soon the XDA-1 DAC. My plan now is to run ERC-1 and whatever else I get into (PC audio, etc) into the XDA-1 and the XDA-1 directly into the amplifier.

However, it has a digital volume control. Now while nobody knows how well theirs is implemented, do you think that by placing a Dodd Buffer between the XDA-1 (just turn it all the way up) and the amp, that I could get... even better sound?

So ERC-1 -> XDA-1 -> classD amp

or ERC-1 -> XDA-1 - > Dodd buffer -> classD amp?
With the exception of the Buffer, I am just not familiar enough with the other gear to make an educated observation.  I will make a general obsevation, though.  I don't like digital volume controls.  The ones that I have heard just sound wrong somehow.  I can't put my finger on it... it could be simply an intellectual prejudice swaying my brain.

I love the way my buffer handles the task.

YMMV

Dave

Rclark

« Reply #543 on: 29 Oct 2010, 06:34 pm »

Can you please explain to me how placing the Dodd Buffer into that string will not violate the rule of "less circuits are better"?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #544 on: 29 Oct 2010, 08:57 pm »

Can you please explain to me how placing the Dodd Buffer into that string will not violate the rule of "less circuits are better"?
It is not a rule violation issue for me.  It is a choice between attenuation done in the digital domain versus the analog domain.  Perhaps it is that I like the sound of "hitting the signal chain" with a tube. What I want from my system is something I want to listen to, not have detail thrown at me.  I like the sound of my system through the Buffer. 

It is true that less is more and there cannot be much "less" than attenuating a signal through a single triode stage.  This is the question: which sounds better in system "X"?  That is an opinion, not a formula.  I'm a "if it sounds good and I like it, what is the issue?" kind of guy.  I am open to anything that makes my system sound better and "better" is a qualification, not a quantification in my world.

Does that answer your question?

Dave

Rclark

« Reply #545 on: 29 Oct 2010, 09:18 pm »
Could you please describe for me what it "might" be like listening to the DAC into amp with the digital volume control, and then describe what sort of sonic improvements I "might" expect by instead running the DAC into the buffer and then that into the amp? Compare the two situations based on similar past scenarios? What would I notice as being different?

Thanks!

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #546 on: 29 Oct 2010, 11:13 pm »
Could you please describe for me what it "might" be like listening to the DAC into amp with the digital volume control, and then describe what sort of sonic improvements I "might" expect by instead running the DAC into the buffer and then that into the amp? Compare the two situations based on similar past scenarios? What would I notice as being different?

Thanks!

I have tried both, and in my system the Dodd buffer turned it all into music. It layered the sound stage and improved imaging quite a bit. Vocals also appeared more real and more like the singer was really there in front of me verses not even being in the ball park.

Even if I am playing one of the Virtue Audio amps that has it's own value control, I still use the buffer. It takes it to another level.

Rclark

« Reply #547 on: 30 Oct 2010, 07:28 am »
I definitely trust your opinion Danny, although I should have come to that position earlier so that I'd be building GR N3's as my first set instead of those Statement Monitors. I almost want to build a Dodd buffer simply to have one in the room as they are highly photogenic.

Even though I technically won't need the buffer at first, I think that once all is up and running and my room treatments are doing what they're supposed to, and I've handled cables and power conditioning, I'll probably look at it all after a few weeks and ask myself, "now what?" That question will probably lead me to go ahead with the buffer.

(and then after that I'll look at gear for hi-rez audio, a dedicated Macmini or NetPC or whatever)

parodielin

« Reply #548 on: 30 Oct 2010, 09:00 pm »
A quick question on the volume pot.  The buffer requires only 1 pot.  Does it have "balanced circuit" or something similar in the design?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #549 on: 30 Oct 2010, 10:11 pm »
The buffer has one stereo volume control, one volume pot per channel.

It is not a balanced design.  It uses 1/2 the triode per channel single ended from what I can tell. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #550 on: 7 Nov 2010, 04:08 am »
Tried a new Genalex Gold Lion gold pin E88CC in the Buffer and it sounds really good!   :thumb: 

TrungT

« Reply #551 on: 7 Nov 2010, 04:30 am »
Rich
Thank you. :thumb:
Just one more on my list.

praedet

« Reply #552 on: 8 Nov 2010, 03:24 pm »
Just thought I would post up a few pictures of the "Power Source" I have built for my DODD Buffer and other battery powered devices.  Gary is helping me with the front so it will be done soon!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #553 on: 8 Nov 2010, 03:36 pm »
Just thought I would post up a few pictures of the "Power Source" I have built for my DODD Buffer and other battery powered devices.  Gary is helping me with the front so it will be done soon!

VERY nice!  I have something similar in mind and as soon as I figure out everything that will be battery powered and my hand heals up I'll be posting some pictures here.  I'm sure that Gary's front panel will kick the snot out of what I come up with.

:thumb:

Dave

sl_1800

« Reply #554 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:44 pm »
Very nice, I love it.  :D

TrungT

« Reply #555 on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:42 am »
Ted
Look awesome, look much better than my "Junction" box.  :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #556 on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:48 am »
Just noticed: "Now taking order"  :thumb:
http://doddaudio.com/default.aspx

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #557 on: 10 Nov 2010, 12:18 pm »
Hope Gary has more than one. 

Should it be "Now Taking Orders"

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #558 on: 10 Nov 2010, 01:03 pm »
Just noticed: "Now taking order"  :thumb:
http://doddaudio.com/default.aspx

Where has Gary been?  I haven't seen him on here in ages.  :(

HT cOz

« Reply #559 on: 10 Nov 2010, 01:37 pm »
Anyone notice that the battery powered amp has been discountinued?  That is very surprising given its universal praise.  I wanted one of those someday!!!