DIY Dodd Buffer

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #560 on: 10 Nov 2010, 02:10 pm »
Anyone notice that the battery powered amp has been discountinued?  That is very surprising given its universal praise.  I wanted one of those someday!!!

He could make more of them but has to run a lot of them at a time to make it worth doing.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #561 on: 10 Nov 2010, 02:42 pm »
Anyone notice that the battery powered amp has been discountinued?  That is very surprising given its universal praise.  I wanted one of those someday!!!
Yeah, bummer!  I love mine.

Dave

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #562 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:53 am »
It's my fault that Gary's been MIA.  He'd been boltin' on buffers to our amps and then helping with a few special orders and repairs.

However, he's back with a vengeance now.  Apparently, Gary's lead time on the buffer kits is now under a week and he has the main parts for 50 in his lab. 

Starting right now, I'm offering a $100 coupon off anything we make for the first five customers to pickup a new buffer kit from Gary and a free pair of 1m Nirvana interconnects for the next five.  Gary will tell me who you are - no need to send a PM.

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #563 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:25 am »
Gary told me tonight that if you have trouble building them he'll do it for $50 and to thank me for my offer on the first five, he's going to build the first 5 for free as well.  As you know, these kits been out of stock for LONG TIME mainly because his parts supplier sucked and I've been keeping him in the Virtue dungeon.

Now that they're back, we need to help Gary spread the love.  He's been playing with a new 6v tube Sovtek which he says is just insane for the money and plays amazing music.

Mariusz

« Reply #564 on: 16 Nov 2010, 08:36 am »
That's pretty awesome deal :thumb: Having it all build for cost of parts is mighty tempting offer.
I got my buffer up and running after long stretch of misfortunate mini-disasters. With help from fellow member, music is flowing and buffer is burning in. The tube you referring to is on my menu as well.  :thumb: 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #565 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:26 pm »
He's been playing with a new 6v tube Sovtek which he says is just insane for the money and plays amazing music.

Amazing for the money or better than the 6922, 7308....? 

usp1

« Reply #566 on: 16 Nov 2010, 03:26 pm »
Gary told me tonight that if you have trouble building them he'll do it for $50 and to thank me for my offer on the first five, he's going to build the first 5 for free as well.  As you know, these kits been out of stock for LONG TIME mainly because his parts supplier sucked and I've been keeping him in the Virtue dungeon.

Now that they're back, we need to help Gary spread the love.  He's been playing with a new 6v tube Sovtek which he says is just insane for the money and plays amazing music.

Sent Gary an email. I hope I am one of the first 5!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #567 on: 16 Nov 2010, 04:21 pm »
Amazing for the money or better than the 6922, 7308....?
It's probably the 6H30pi.  It is a great sounding tube, but draws a TON of heater current.  I would think that the regulator would need a big heatsink to be safe.

http://thetubestore.com/6h30types.html

http://thetubestore.com/russian6h30pdr.html

The 6H23 is another tube to try and does not require .9A of heater current

http://thetubestore.com/rus696h.html

I ran the 6H30's in my Cary for years and it was THE best sounding tube in that application.

Dave

Mariusz

« Reply #568 on: 16 Nov 2010, 05:55 pm »
You can also try this one (6H30 Dr) :   

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #569 on: 16 Nov 2010, 06:10 pm »
You can also try this one (6H30 Dr) :   

I have one of the original 2 tube buffers and I'm thinkin' that trying to get 1.8A of heater current from it is probably not a good idea.  I reckon I need to talk to Gary.

HEY! GARY!!!

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #570 on: 16 Nov 2010, 06:14 pm »
I would like to know if I can make my two tube buffer like the current ones.  Where it only takes one tube.  Gary has mentioned that their is no sonic benefit to having two tubes.  Right?  So why not?  It makes tube rolling much less expensive and draws less current. 

Gary!!!

Mariusz

« Reply #571 on: 16 Nov 2010, 06:26 pm »
Sell it and get 2 kits!!! :wink:

TrungT

« Reply #572 on: 16 Nov 2010, 06:57 pm »

Little over kill, but ... because I can  :lol:
If you want to run 6H30 you must upgrade your heatsink.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #573 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:01 pm »
I would like to know if I can make my two tube buffer like the current ones.  Where it only takes one tube.  Gary has mentioned that their is no sonic benefit to having two tubes.  Right?  So why not?  It makes tube rolling much less expensive and draws less current. 

Gary!!!
What he said!!!

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #574 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:02 pm »

Little over kill, but ... because I can  :lol:
If you want to run 6H30 you must upgrade your heatsink.
Is that a Harley under there?

:rotflmao:

What is the white sleeve on the tube?

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #575 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:02 pm »
Sell it and get 2 kits!!! :wink:

Thanks but no thanks.  I'm still selling off my "overflow" equipment room   :duh:  I don't need to add to it.  Trust me! 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #576 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:03 pm »
For heatsinks I like http://www.heatsinkusa.com/

Mariusz

« Reply #577 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:09 pm »

Dave

I believe it's called Vacuum Mummification. Easily extends tube life to thousands of years. :lol:     

raindance

« Reply #578 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:10 pm »
With the exception of the Buffer, I am just not familiar enough with the other gear to make an educated observation.  I will make a general obsevation, though.  I don't like digital volume controls.  The ones that I have heard just sound wrong somehow.  I can't put my finger on it... it could be simply an intellectual prejudice swaying my brain.

I love the way my buffer handles the task.

YMMV

Dave

A digitally controlled resistive ladder is NOT volume controlled in the digital domain. It is an analog signal being controlled by resistors switched in or out of circuit digitally. There are no bits of data "thrown away" and it should not adversely affect sound quality at all. The only thing the buffer could do is "change" the sound by adding some tube flavor.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #579 on: 16 Nov 2010, 10:31 pm »

Dave

It looks like teflon tape for tube damping.

I have a Herbie's tube damper on my tube and like the effect. 

I have a heatsink coming to mod my single tube buffer to use the 6H30Pi.  The L7806C regulator should be fine with 0.9 amps as long as you have a BIG heatsink.  From my calculation the filament regulator at max voltage input will be dissipating 6.4 watts!