Hestia OB, an ambitious low cost, 3-way OB design

Plund

Re: Hestia OB, an ambitious low cost, 3-way OB design
« Reply #140 on: 23 Mar 2013, 05:16 am »
I think incorporating into the Hestia a few things I like from other designs worked well in this pair.  The grills and some solid legs are needed to help protect the speakers from toddler-aged grandkids.  Hopefully those creative individuals, whose designs I borrowed from, feel flattered! :wink:.  The Dayton woofers are driven by your recommended Yung 300 plate amp, supplied with the output signal from a DVD/streaming player. 

Pete

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #141 on: 23 Mar 2013, 03:43 pm »
nice cost effective design im going to try it

matevana

« Reply #142 on: 23 Mar 2013, 04:06 pm »
I think incorporating into the Hestia a few things I like from other designs worked well in this pair.  The grills and some solid legs are needed to help protect the speakers from toddler-aged grandkids.  Hopefully those creative individuals, whose designs I borrowed from, feel flattered! :wink:.  The Dayton woofers are driven by your recommended Yung 300 plate amp, supplied with the output signal from a DVD/streaming player. 

Pete

Pete,

Depending on your listening preferences, you may get favorable results from splicing an F-mod inline before the Yung amp. I use a pair (left and rigfht) of the 50Hz high pass F-Mod's on the Hestia SL's, which protects the smaller and less efficient woofer from over- excursion. I really like it for most program material. The 50Hz version gets you down by about 12dB at 25Hz, where there is little actual recorded material in music. It allows me to crank the woofers level without excessive distortion or worse. There is also a 30Hz version which might be better for the larger and more efficient 10" woofer on the Hestia Standard (requires less attenuation).  Of course a lot of this depends on how loud you listen and the program material as well. You may not need it at all.

For about 25 bucks a pair, its an interesting filter to play with. There's also a guy on eBay who sells them in singles for less, if you are running a mono signal to your Yungs.

I noticed your Hestia's are on nice plush carpeting. It's funny but living in Florida most flooring is done in tile and wood. I have never heard either the Hestia Standard or SL's on carpeting!  :lol: I realize that's a bit unusual.

Oh yeah... and feel free to pull off that MCM decal on the back of the mids. I believe I did the first one for you!  They look much better w/o them IMO.

Plund

« Reply #143 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:51 am »
Ed,

interesting about the Fmod's.  I am running mono to the woofers so $16 on ebay would get me there. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #144 on: 24 Mar 2013, 11:30 am »
I wonder how this would compare to the Fmod? I've seen them in 60hz.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=266-442

matevana

« Reply #145 on: 24 Mar 2013, 12:40 pm »
I wonder how this would compare to the Fmod? I've seen them in 60hz.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=266-442

That particular link is for a low pass filter. To help prevent over-excursion you would want a high pass, somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 50 Hz depending on the driver, listening preferences, etc. Also, since F-mods don't mess with speaker level (they are line level) they tend to be more transparent in the system.

sjhomey

« Reply #146 on: 24 Mar 2013, 02:53 pm »
Pete

Your Hestias look great. I like those grills. Are they made from PE parts?

These Hestias are a very good project in many ways. They are cheap, simple to complete, and sound great. In addition the designer is not only knowledgeable, but is engaged and always available for comment. And they sound great!

Thanks for posting photos. I wish every builder would. Its interesting to see different interpretations of the design.

Peter

Squidspeak

« Reply #147 on: 4 Apr 2013, 12:08 am »
Pete

Your Hestias look great. I like those grills. Are they made from PE parts?

These Hestias are a very good project in many ways. They are cheap, simple to complete, and sound great. In addition the designer is not only knowledgeable, but is engaged and always available for comment. And they sound great!

Thanks for posting photos. I wish every builder would. Its interesting to see different interpretations of the design.

Peter
They look great, I cant wait to start my build. I got sidetracked by superstorm Sandy, and had to
start over with my shop and life. SJ homey, got my shop up and running and will get in touch.  Mike

Plund

« Reply #148 on: 4 Apr 2013, 04:23 am »
Squidspeak,  glad to hear you have your shop going again.  I am sure it has taken much work on your part...says much of your character!  Hopefully you are able to get to your build soon...I look forward to seeing your pics!

SJ,  The only parts I used in the grill was 1/2" birchply, grill cloth (stretchy polyester type), and 1/4" x 1/4" disc magnets.  The magnets were epoxied in place and the grill cloth was hot-glued.  PE has the grill cloth and their 1/4" x3/16" magnets should be strong enough if the gap between the magnets is kept small. Else-wise, PE's larger disc magnet would work well. 

Pete

Squidspeak

« Reply #149 on: 30 Jun 2013, 09:11 pm »
Well I am happy to say I'm finally ready to start this project. The Vifa tweeters were out of
stock for awhile but are available now. Anyway, I am going ahead using the Dayton 15" pro
driver for bass duties but everything else will follow the original design. I plan on making the baffle wider on the bottom to accomadate the 15 driver in proportion to everything else. I recieved the drivers and
amp the other day so hope to cut panels shortly. I want to document the build so may be asking for
help on posting pix, will update.

newbie7800

« Reply #150 on: 8 Aug 2013, 07:59 pm »
Dear Matevana and fellow hestia builders
I have been meaning to write for a while. With some hiccups along the way including completely destroyed vifa tweeters and crazy shipping prices (could not get the MCM speakers with international shipping and had to use a freight forwarder) I have all the parts to start my build which I hope to do in september. The mcms had a rough journey and had moved in their boxes and the packaging was deformed but I could see no damage. Hopefully they will operate ok......

Will report back once speakers are built.

Newbie 7800

matevana

« Reply #151 on: 11 Aug 2013, 12:46 pm »
Good to hear Newbie! I'm sure it was tough trying to source some of the stuff internationally. I guess we take some of that for granted in the states!

Been tinkering with some hemp cone guitar speakers lately. I really like the way they behave as a mid driver in OB. Very late break-up, velvety mids and attenuated highs. The high Qts is also a bonus. Been testing them in the 150 Hz to 2000 Hz range and have been very impressed. I see a new design in the future. A "Hempia" perhaps??

I can see a 2.5 way design using the Vifa D19 tweeters, the Usher 8" for bass duties and either:

a) Eminence 820H, 8" hemp code midrange (Qts .88, 96.1 db)
b) Eminence Lil Buddy, 10" hemp cone midrange (Qts .84, 98.8 db)

Both drivers are reasonably flat in the 150Hz to 2k Hz range and retail for 70-80 US Dollars.

gunnerone2013

« Reply #152 on: 22 Nov 2013, 06:56 pm »
I have everything coming into build the Hestia OB.  It will be my first experience with an open baffle project,  and would like to confirm that I understand the crossover layout.  Is the attached diagram  I created the correct layout for all of the connections.  I should be fine with constructing everything I just want to confirm that I understand the crossover connection points.  Thanks for whomever can help.  Looking forward to a Thanksgiving weekend project.

matevana

« Reply #153 on: 23 Nov 2013, 12:29 pm »
You got it right. Just remember to keep the order correct. It's turkey, stuffing, gravy, hestia. Let us know how it sounds!

gunnerone2013

« Reply #154 on: 23 Nov 2013, 02:14 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation.  Will test with plywood baffles and then plan to use hand planed solid cherry.  Will let you know how everything goes.  I am sure I will have a few more questions after I get into the project.

OB_Newbie

« Reply #155 on: 1 Dec 2013, 01:00 am »
Hey Ed, sent a PM your way.  :-)

OB_Newbie

« Reply #156 on: 1 Dec 2013, 01:31 am »
For anyone interested in the Hestia, MCM has the 55-2981 on sale for $22.94 if you buy 4.  Codes are AFC909, BF2013, CL115.

newbie7800

« Reply #157 on: 8 Dec 2013, 04:29 pm »
Hi Matevana

Life gets in the way to actually starting the build.  Have got everything but the screws :-).

You kindly told me that you tend to use pan head screws of 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch length. I looked on Parts Express and they have varying sizes.  6 and 8 are the two most common sizes when searching under speaker building.  I know it is  a basic question but can you tell me what size screws you used for the Hestia OB build and whether you used different screws on the tweeter vs the two woofers.  Thanks!

Plan to build over Christmas.

Regards

newbie7800

matevana

« Reply #158 on: 8 Dec 2013, 07:54 pm »
I used the #8 pan head screws from PE. If memory serves I used
 1/2" on the tweeter and 3/4" on everything else. Hope this helps!

newbie7800

« Reply #159 on: 10 Dec 2013, 04:57 pm »
Thanks! 

Will let you know how the build goes :-)

Newbie7800