Schiit announces a fully upgrade-able DAC for $449- Thanks ted_b

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Our friend Ted over in the high rez circle found this, you can buy in for as little as $349 and be future proof..... :thumb:

http://schiit.com/news/63011-schiit-announces-bifrost-dac/

$349 gets you the DAC without USB, but not to worry you can always add USB later or upgrade it or do the same with the actual DAC itself as far as upgrading, you see the new boards are user or factory changeable because they are snap in modules. If anybody can do it, I would think these guys can because they really enjoy this Schiit!!!!
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm by eclein »

rpf

pardales

Very promising.   :D

OzarkTom

Yes, very promising. That is Mike Moffit who co-founded Theta. It sure looks like a Schitt load of features.

HT cOz

Very Nice!   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Enjoyed their website.  Straight talk without PC verbage.  And no bull schiit.   :oops:
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2011, 12:04 am by JLM »

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Looks like Schiit.  Probably sounds like Schiit too! :duh:

HT cOz

Looks like the Schiit to me. Lol

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Is that Schiit made in the USA...?

eclein

• Volunteer
I don't know, but I might be having to buy that piece of Schiit!!!

HT cOz

Yes can you believe they still make Schiit in the USA.

eclein

• Volunteer
Upgradeable is the key for me, regardless of where it is made at the moment, the fact that the 2 most fluid changes that take place in DAC's have been considered and made affordable to get on board and then follow the upgrade path if I want to is huge to me. If USB changes or I absolutely need it, I can add or  change/upgrade the Schiit. The DAC chips of the future change or they discover the long lost DaVinci Chip someday has been considered while contemplating the Schiit and made customizable/upgradeable and its only going to cost whatever they determine the new snap in chip is valued at.
 With this companies forward thinking and its already noteworthy value and sound quality this is fantastic info for someone like me who is on a fixed income. Its a helluva lot easier to get a few hundred dollars together every so often then to put a grand out there every two years for the newest affordable DAC. Finally- this Schiit don't stink!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: This is the kind of Schiit that puts anew company firmly on the map......its a great idea. :thumb: :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Yes, a great concept, but for this price what does it compete against?

The reviews will hopefully tell.

eclein

• Volunteer
I don't know....LOL....actually it seems to me that a lot of companies are responding to this economical situation of the past few years and trying to bring prices down to compensate while others are taking advantage of the hot run they are on and raising prices to get what they can out of the recent success of their product.
 So hopefully a lot of companies will come in lower with pricing this year but either way for some of us it's a great way to stay current or as current as possible. If it sounds good and I have yet to see a bad write up on any of Schiits products it will be great. Fingers crossed because if the Virtue DAC is to much for me to afford I'm getting some of this Schiit!!!!  LOL......OK no more bad joke posts from me, you guys enjoy and post away but mine are getting weak...LOL....

jackman

Cool Schiit!  Might have to check out that headphone amp!

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
I would like to see how it stands against other dac's on the price range. Are you getting one unit Ed?

eclein

• Volunteer
Possibly, I'm gonna wait and see what reviews are like

Cheerwino

Yeah, I wanna see the reviews to find out if that DAC's some good Schiit.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
I have a new Rega dac and I really like it, just gets better sounding every day.

But, I am very interested in a company that is making equipment in the USA and looks like
they have their act together enough to compete and make a product that will be worth investing in. 

Some one should buy one and give us a review...

roscoeiii

Or just take advantage of their trial period...