Schiit announces a fully upgrade-able DAC for $449- Thanks ted_b

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
The 6Moons review process is always 2 parts (preview and review).  Srajan and his staff approach reviewing very differently than the typical ezine, and I find it refreshingly esoteric and insightful...a bit challenging when one simply wants the bottom line, but if the bottom line USA Today type review is all you want, then don't go there.  I have often found "bottom line" responses to be way too simplified...this hobby has too many variables and listening biases....and not to include them in your experiences is often misleading (i.e "I found Benchmark to sound clearer than Ayon...best DAC under $3k"..and then later find out the thing is hospital grade white room clean without a speck of musicality...seems the reviewer might have had 1970's vintage tube gear and a sinus infection!!)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
I have to agree with all of your posts, I like 6moons, respect their integrity, and often read their articles.  It just gets so frustrating wading through the hyperbole to suss out the meaning sometimes.  I think this happens when there really isn't a lot to distinguish the component under review from it's competitors, you don't leave the review confused when the product is an out of the park home run.

In a perfect world I'd like to see a shootout of all the sub $500 DACs, most of which we've talked about in these pages.  But as these things go, by the time that review actually gets published, it's already out of date.  And if the review is done by one person he or she is always deemed prejudiced or flawed in some way, and if done by committee, no firm conclusions are made.  I guess it's like the ol' boy said, "Yo pays yo money and yo takes yo chances".   

Rclark

Sooo about the whole upgradeable thing. Is this where there will eventually be an upmarket, uber board you can install later? Or just more of the same but kinda better? I don't think I would buy an upgradable dac unless the upgrade path put me the ballpark of very very high end dacs. Otherwise I don't see the point.

If I were gonna buy another <$500 dac, I would simply get the best sounding one. And rather than hope for some upgrade, I think it would be better to simply save and get a high end dac in the first place.

jackman

Sooo about the whole upgradeable thing. Is this where there will eventually be an upmarket, uber board you can install later? Or just more of the same but kinda better? I don't think I would buy an upgradable dac unless the upgrade path put me the ballpark of very very high end dacs. Otherwise I don't see the point.

If I were gonna buy another <$500 dac, I would simply get the best sounding one. And rather than hope for some upgrade, I think it would be better to simply save and get a high end dac in the first place.

Not sure I understand your comments.  If this DAC is as good as other DAC's in this price category (or better), I would think the upgradeability of the unit is just another plus.  Digital is changing so quickly, I like the idea that a company is designing state of the art products with the ability to upgrade as the technology improves.  In the case of the Schiit, it is modular and you can decide to add a USB board or not add one and save $100. 

For me, the fact that the unit is modular and easy to upgrade is a major plus.  I would not buy it if it did not sound as good as the competition in this price range but if it was a tie, I'd go with the one that was easily upgradeable.  Regarding "saving and getting a high end DAC" later, I believe many of the new inexpensive DACS are competitive or superior to older expensive high end DACs.  The ability to easily modify a DAC to take advantage of new technologies or improvements is a brilliant idea.  I look forward to hearing this one in my system. 

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I totally agree with Jackman, +1 on that whole post. :thumb: :thumb:

The upgrade isn't a microsoft upgrade-sell it then make it work afterwards. Its a sell the DAC and the fact that down the road they come out with newer and better stuff the possibility of adding that in without the expense of a whole new piece is an excellent concept. If the Virtue DAC for some reason doesn't happen I'll most likely get a Bifrost for that exact reason. Sound is so personal that one mans DAC is anothers WACK!!! LOL.... so I don't understand Rclarks position either.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
And if you look at Schiit's product model so far, their headphone amps, there will be two better, and more expensive, models coming out in the next two years.  So the Bifrost will always be their economy model despite any upgrades that come down the pike.  If anyone wishes to buy a more expensive DAC they can do so now with another company, or wait for Schiit to come out with theirs.  I agree with Rclark saying buy or not buy the Bifrost based on it's sound quality now, upgrades are not likely to change the basic character of the sound.

lcrim

The 6moons review of the Bifrost DAC was particularly full of Schiit.
The manufacturer has a completely different point of view from the editor @6moons.  Does the concept of "damning w/ faint praise" ring any bells.  Schiit is on record as declaring that SPDIF is a more useful interface for streaming than USB.  The 6moons publisher is annoyed and annoying on this subject being in the USB camp as well.  Even at that, there was  (faint) praise for the USB implementation on the Bifrost.  Computer audio is developing so fast that the target keeps moving.  At the very least, Schiit recognizes that all present bets may be off in a short time by making their USB input modular. 
Larry

Rclark

I understand that new inexpensive dacs can be better than old good dacs. Not interested in old, good dacs. Im just saying if you're gonna have upgradeable, it should be upgradeable to well beyond $500 spec.

Not dissing your dac boys, just saying for me the logic is flawed. In the end I think I would prefer one really nice dac (and sell it when ready to move up, keep pulse on dac tech) instead of chasing upgrades and waiting around for them. And who knows what kind of performance the proposed upgrade (and what if one never comes, or if only a few minor ones) will be? I'm talking all parts involved, and PS options, not just the board.  :D

They way I see it, if it's only upgradeable to a continous midrange target dac, you're basically stuck with a midrange dac, and you better like the house sound.
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2012, 08:38 am by Rclark »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Well, yes, as I noted, the DAC is not likely to change a lot as far as overall sound quality with any upgrades, so you do have to purchase the Bifrost based on how it sounds now.  Upgrades would be some advanced USB interface or adding 176.4 Khz processing, not that you would change the character of the sound.  It's just an added benefit of the unit, not the defining point, so there is no flaw in the logic. 

You and I both may, in the end, decide on buying something more, I notice we're both on the Neko tour.  If I feel that the Neko, or Tranquility, or whatever, is worth the extra $1k I'd go that way.  However, given that the software, be it CD, FLAC, SACD, etc., may be the limiting factor, I want to hear how much difference there is between well designed lower price units and the next step up.  I've heard the high priced units like Bel Canto etc., but haven't compared lower priced to mid priced units, which are more in my wheelhouse for disposable.   

Rclark

Oh yeah, I think that'll be interesting to hear. For me, it should be the nicest to date. Never heard anything like a Bell Canto. Since I have experience with the Xda-1 and below that a few minor dacs, it will be interesting to compare.

For me, the next dac will be a larger purchase because I've already heard <$500 range and there's no point in spending money on something that doesn't tear my cdp a new one. That's the issue for me.

A lot of people really like this company, and they seem to provide some great products. You mentioned they have other dacs coming, higher end models too.

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables

I have had this for 3-4 days now - I've put it in my office system (yes, primarily made with older components - kind of like me).  Since this is tax season I've spent a lot of time with it this week.   :wink:

PC ---> Kimber USB Cable ---> Schiit Bifrost ---> Old XLO Interconnects --->
Chiro (remember them?) Pre-Amp ---> Chiro 2 Channel SS Amp ---> Old XLO Speaker Cable ---> Legacy Victoria Speakers

Prior to this I was using an HRT Music Streamer + (1st generation) in place of the Schiit.  In my main system, I use an W4S DAC II.  In my main system there is no comparison between the W4S and the Bifrost, the DAC II beats the Sch**t out of the Bifrost.  In comparing the two in my main system tonight (CD, SACD, and DVD-A), I thought the Bifrost was a bit bright and a less musically engaging.  However, the PC system has undergone an improvement of at least an order of magnitude to my ears.  WAY worth the money.

Hope this helps.

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
By the way, I've enjoyed it so much that I will probably buy one of their headphone amps (after tax season of course).   :D

rotarius

By the way, I've enjoyed it so much that I will probably buy one of their headphone amps (after tax season of course).   :D

Let it run in for another week or so and then compare it to the W4S.  It sounded a little light to me too at first but the upper bass will fill in nicely.  I am enjoying mine thoroughly.  :D

michaelhigh

I've had mine for about a month now, toslink driven, and I feel like it has fully burnt in and adjusted reasonably well to my system and environment. I like many others here have never used a DAC in any system and have few if any opportunity to audition gear as there aren't any audio salons in my area (St. Louis) that accept walkins, and I'm not a heavy hitter with the plastic or the checkbook. I buy used a LOT and rarely spring for new product, as the vintage offerings locally are loaded with really good deals on time-honored gear. When an opportunity to get in on a great product like the bifrost arises I can usually justify. My impressions? When I first set it up I didn't notice that the unit had been turned on accidentally either during unpacking or left that way after packing at the factory. When the interconnect (Rat Shack) was made I almost fell out of my chair and I got short of breath real quick! Man, like I said, this was my first DAC experience, and it was truly amazing, the realism and beauty that poured forth from my speakers (Klipsch Forte I). My computer has a setting on the Realtek High Definition audio card that automatically upsamples all input to 24/192, so I was surely in for a treat as I continued through my sources. I also learned quickly that I could use the line in on my computer to run a variety of sources, so analog got temporarily digitized as well, to supplement the evaluation process. Having nothing to compare it to, I was definitely pleased with the addition, it made my already-good computer playback great, and my CD's came to life as well. I noticed that after 50 hours or so it settled down from a slightly bright sound overall to a pleasant, well-balanced presentation overall. Again, with no ability to A-B it with any other like-priced DACs, I'd still say that the chance I took buying the bifrost on numerous suggestions paid off. My system isn't the most resolving but it came up quite a few notches after addding the schiit to the mix. I use simple vintage receivers (Sansui 8080DB and Pioneer SX-838, both really nice clean examples of the receivers I lusted over in the 70's as a high school student, among a few other mid-70's winners) so any higher-end addition to them are noticeable improvements, as much as I love both aforementioned gems from the past. All in all, bass was more than adequate, vocals were sweeter than ever, and there was no tizziness that had been reported from the overly treble-sensitive listeners that had commented on this anomaly. I'm very pleased with the overalll result, and as I quoted a post that echoed my sentiment, I may consider the lyr for head use, if I decide to venture off into that territory. Score one for the USA with fine fit and finish, a very attractive unit and very much an upgrade, more so than cables or tweaks, for sure!

wushuliu

Meh. I will be grumpy and say the reviews do not live up to the expectations. I still don't grasp why there was such massive, massive hype for this product before it came out. I chalk it up to the power of aesthetics.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2012, 12:26 am by wushuliu »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Meh. I will be grumpy and say the reviews do not live up to the expectations. I still don't grasp why there was such massive, massive hype for this product before it came out. I chalk it up to the power of aesthetics.

I agree and I don't.  Like you I was expecting more based on the early hype that I read.  But looking back at it, I should have been more realistic, more jaded, in my expectations.  The general consensus is that it's a very honest DAC that delivers a clean and detailed sound, has a really nice USB interface, looks great, and is easy to upgrade.  Not a bad deal for $450, or $350 if you don't need USB. 

I honestly don't know if I want more than that, I'll have to hear it.  I suspect it will be an incremental improvement over what I have which would not be worth the money, but I'd love to be surprised.