Schiit announces a fully upgrade-able DAC for $449- Thanks ted_b

Cheerwino

Where are you guys finding these pics???  I'm missing something.....LOL....yeah I know I've always been missing something...

You need to get your Schiit together!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
dude my Schiit is consolidated....LOL.....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Maybe I missed it but how do they buld them for that low price being made in the USA?

srb

Maybe I missed it but how do they buld them for that low price being made in the USA?

From the Schiit website:

"Built to Last—But Sensibly Priced
All of our products are overbuilt. They’re intended to be something you can pass down to your children. That’s why we back them with a full 5-year warranty. But, at the same time, our stuff is affordable, because we’ve taken great pains to make it easy to manufacture—so easy, we can make Schiit in the USA for prices similar to Chinese products. Just ask Rina, our production master and head of operations."

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
I just saw an Esoteric DAC for $22,500.00 that uses the same chip as this soon to be released $449.00 DAC, the Esoteric uses like 8 per channel but for that much money it should really be able to do my wash!!!!!!!!  Thats some Schiit there........

bacobits1

Jason Stoddard answers a lot of questions here about the Bifrost.
Like power supply, I was interested in.  BTW no wall warts he says.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560639/haute-schiit-bifrost-is-world-s-most-affordable-fully-upgradable-dac

That chip is used in the upgraded APL version Esoteric XO1 (6Moons). It uses 22 chips per side!
Yikes! This something like $25K too or is this the one your talking about?

Den

eclein

• Volunteer
Not sure if its the same one but as soon as I saw the price was over $500.00 I knew I wasn't getting one...LOL. Thats like two cars for me if I could drive.....hahaha....Den-I saw that thread about 10 minutes ago and asked him a couple questions. I figure with these guys this unit may be a great deal, as in, get it now before they sell out...its fun to buy Schiit!!

bacobits1

Ed, that's right your a headphone "Affectionado". I did a search and got it. I don't belong to head-fi.

If this is as good as the Jasmine Phono for the cost I'll be very happy.
I'm looking at it this way, if I don't like it I will return it within 15 days. My Raysonic is not lacking in any way.

These guys have a few interesting things up their sleeves for the other two DAC's they are planning.

D

eclein

• Volunteer
First one that has remote will be mine if these sound good, thats the plan, then sell this one.....good fun, this is the reason I dig this hobby.....you can really be involved at whatever level you want. That is the fun part.... :thumb:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Like me, some of you may already have a Hiface adapter. Any opinions on whether you'll be keeping it and using the base Bifrost, or opting for the Bifrost with the USB upgrade?

I wondering which configuration would be "better" from an audio standpoint.

srb

IF Schiit has done their homework and due dillegence on the interface, I would think an integrated solution would be better and would eliminate an S/PDIF cable as well as the possible addition of an attenuator and tuning for signal reflection.

If you don't want to keep the HiFace for something else, I'm sure it is a very quick and easy sell on the used market for ~ $100.

Steve

johsti

Like me, some of you may already have a Hiface adapter. Any opinions on whether you'll be keeping it and using the base Bifrost, or opting for the Bifrost with the USB upgrade?

I wondering which configuration would be "better" from an audio standpoint.

I ordered a Bifrost and will be comparing the usb input with a hiface.  I'm hoping the usb on the Bifrost comes out ahead.  I dislike the hiface OSX drivers which causes lip sync delay if I want to watch a youtube video or netflix.  I'll keep the hiface if it sounds better though.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
I too am ordering a Bifrost with the USB option.  I also will be comparing the USB through an Alix against the S/PDIF out to my modified boxed HiFace MKII by John Kenny.  If I like what I hear either way, I will definately be looking at their top of the line DAC yet to be released.

Randy

bacobits1

I did NOT order the Bifrost with USB option.
I do not care about a computer interface.
I'm aged and old fashion.

Ed, it was mentioned none of these will have a remote or a volume, "no unnecessary electronics".

D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I'm on board.  The upgradeable thing should mean easily repairable as well.  I usually wait for Big Red Machine to cycle new stuff through, read his comments, and then look for second hand - stretching the old dollar.  But this is cheap enough to gamble.  Hope the August delivery holds true. 

eclein

• Volunteer
Ed, it was mentioned none of these will have a remote or a volume, "no unnecessary electronics".

D
With the money I'll be able to save I'll buy a Creek passive with remote......

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Well, yesterday I put my pre-order in for the BiFrost DAC with the USB Input Option.  I will be A/B'ing it the following ways:

Computer > USB cable > John Keny Boxed HiFace MKII > Digital cable(S/PDIF) > BiFrost DAC

USB through an Alix(Acopian Gold PS plugged into a Felix) utilizing the USB input from the BiFrost DAC

This DAC looks very promising and am looking forward to getting one in my hands.  :D

Randy

Nels Ferre

I ordered a Bifrost and will be comparing the usb input with a hiface.  I'm hoping the usb on the Bifrost comes out ahead.  I dislike the hiface OSX drivers which causes lip sync delay if I want to watch a youtube video or netflix.  I'll keep the hiface if it sounds better though.

Thank you. I've been searching for the solution to this issue for quite some time. How does one go about removing drivers on OSX?

tonyptony

Is there still the prospect of a tour for this baby? I'd be interested.

fredgarvin

I'm interested but I have to admit, the DAC's I've tried up to now have not outperformed the ones in my Marantz player.