Wet cleaning brush

xsb7244

Wet cleaning brush
« on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:41 pm »
What do you use?  I am thinking of getting the Osage brush.

andyr

Re: Wet cleaning brush
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:55 pm »
Disk Doctor (pile) brushes.  :)

Regards,

Andy

dlaloum

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2011, 12:42 pm »
Osage brush for deep cleaning, scubbing.... (once off for each record)

Original Discwasher at other times... (with plain pure water)

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2011, 12:47 pm »

Regards,

Andy

+1

madog99

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2011, 12:25 am »
I use the VPI brush , which wasn't cheap and am interested in what others are using .

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2011, 12:45 am »
I use a cheap bristle paint brush cut down to make the bristles stiffer. It works well, is cheap, and cleanable.

andyr

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:01 am »

I use a cheap bristle paint brush cut down to make the bristles stiffer. It works well, is cheap, and cleanable.

Cheap, yes - but are you sure that the diameter of the bristles is small enough that they fit down into the grooves?  :o

Regards,

Andy

Ericus Rex

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:07 am »
I use the Mobile Fidelity brushes which work quite well...but aren't cheap.  I have two; one for wet and one for dry.

jazzcourier

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2011, 02:41 am »
Visit a local artist supply shop and take a look at the soft nylon brushes.Under a good light and with delicate whisks you can literally move the dirt and dust around and chase it off the record.I have several different sizes and textures and bought mine at the swap meet-2-4 dollars each.
    Once you clean the record in this manner you are ready for the record cleaning machine,and new inside jacket-not paper-and then to the zerostat for a little demag and finally to the turntable for a final brush off before playing with one of those fancier,made for records brush.
   My 1.00 Goodwill Mozart Epic 'Stereorama" record  has been restored to a living,breathing moment of inescapable beauty.Starting with that artists brush at the beginning of the journey makes for a most pleasant arrival.
   My hound will now fetch me my slippers -Tally ho listeners!

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:28 am »
I was in  Music Direct the other day to buy a brush and the folks there recommended a roller instead. Bought something called the In The Groove Cleaner or something like that. Described as a better solution to a brush which will just push dust around and not get into the grooves as well.

That said, haven't A/Bed myself. Just passing on that POV, FYI.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2011, 10:47 am »
I was in  Music Direct the other day to buy a brush and the folks there recommended a roller instead. Bought something called the In The Groove Cleaner or something like that. Described as a better solution to a brush which will just push dust around and not get into the grooves as well.

That said, haven't A/Bed myself. Just passing on that POV, FYI.

Can it be used wet?

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:52 am »
I use the Discwasher brush. It's designed to be used damp, and it's pad has a rounded profile, allowing it to be "rolled" while brushing to pick up even more dirt while having a lesser drag when cleaning on a moving table.

It has a pile type micro bristles (very short) that get into the grooves. The fluid that comes with it is worthless.

Wayner

dlaloum

« Reply #12 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:58 am »
I use the Discwasher brush. It's designed to be used damp, and it's pad has a rounded profile, allowing it to be "rolled" while brushing to pick up even more dirt while having a lesser drag when cleaning on a moving table.

It has a pile type micro bristles (very short) that get into the grooves. The fluid that comes with it is worthless.

I love the discwasher brush too...

I usually use it dry, but sometimes when something is not being picked up, I will moisten the leading edge of the brush with pure water... it then picks up the recalcitrant left overs!

Works like a charm. (but this is on records that have already been through my deep clean routine, and been treated with Last preservative)

I have heard variable reports of the later iterations of the Discwasher brush... (primarily negative) - I don't have any idea of whether they are justified or not.

bye for now

David

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 5 Oct 2011, 02:04 pm »
The best "wet" brush, hands down, with no equal, is unavailable.  It's the Parastat by Cecil Watts, discontinued sometime in the 70's I believe.  I was able to garner an unopened NOS example, there are occasionally good condition ones available on eBay or A-gon.  When I say "wet" it's because it is used with a very small amount of water combined with a surfactant to mist a layer of moisture on the brush before cleaning.  This both picks up dust and adds a percentage of humidity to the record surface to eliminate static charge build up.  It doesn't wet the record, it adds a few molecules of moisture.  Works wonders using it's two felt pads surrounding a bristle brush center.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Record-Cleaner-Vinyl-Parastat-Model-MKIIA-LP-RARE-/170658576631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bc0b38f7

I know it wasn't asked by the OP, but the best dry brush is the Acoustech Big Record Brush with antistatic cord.  The best dry cleaning bristles I've ever used, with a drain for static charge.  I got mine from Music Direct.

« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2011, 11:03 pm by Letitroll98 »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #14 on: 5 Oct 2011, 02:08 pm »
Cheap, yes - but are you sure that the diameter of the bristles is small enough that they fit down into the grooves?  :o

Regards,

Andy
It works better than my Discwasher brush that I used for years. But you've got me curious.  I'll put it on a microscope and compare size.   However, the bristle brush is part of a routine.  I spray on cleaning solution, brush in both directions with the paint brush, wipe with a microfiber towel, spray distilled water, wipe with a small velvet brush (comes with KAB EV-1), then vacuum. 
Scott

Wayner

« Reply #15 on: 5 Oct 2011, 02:29 pm »
I love the discwasher brush too...

I usually use it dry, but sometimes when something is not being picked up, I will moisten the leading edge of the brush with pure water... it then picks up the recalcitrant left overs!

Works like a charm. (but this is on records that have already been through my deep clean routine, and been treated with Last preservative)

I have heard variable reports of the later iterations of the Discwasher brush... (primarily negative) - I don't have any idea of whether they are justified or not.

bye for now

David

41 years of trials in pretty much proof. Others that have had problems are either using dry (I'd never put any dry brush on a record, ever!!!) or using a formula not friendly to vinyl.

If you want to put static on your vinyl, then use a dry brush. Remember that frictions creates static electricity? A damp brush neutralizes static charges and it also acts as a bonding agent to pick up particles.

IMHO.

Wayner  8)

dlaloum

« Reply #16 on: 5 Oct 2011, 04:06 pm »
41 years of trials in pretty much proof. Others that have had problems are either using dry (I'd never put any dry brush on a record, ever!!!) or using a formula not friendly to vinyl.

If you want to put static on your vinyl, then use a dry brush. Remember that frictions creates static electricity? A damp brush neutralizes static charges and it also acts as a bonding agent to pick up particles.

You are quite right, and that is the other reason I like to dampen the brush...

But static issues seem to differ depending on the cartridge and turntable.
I find that on the JVC I sometimes have static issues, where I seldom experience them on the Revox.
Also no static issues when running the Shure cartridge with the damper / destaticiser brush, or the Stantons - both of these have "earthed" systems (cantilever or damper brush) - and it appears to work.

For the other cartridges... the dampened discwasher usually does the trick

bye for now

David

BPoletti

« Reply #17 on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:11 pm »

Regards,

Andy

For wet cleaning, I have found nothing that works better than the Disc Doctor brushes. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #18 on: 5 Oct 2011, 07:02 pm »
I have used the Disc Doctor, MoFi and Audio Intelligent (Osage) brushes. I like the AI and disc doctor the best. The MoFi isn't as easy to manipulate as the disc doctor brushes. I use the AI, disc doctor and orthobiz enzyme cleaning fluids and rinse with RO deionized pure water from Culligan at 50 cents/gal.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #19 on: 5 Oct 2011, 07:09 pm »
The best "wet" brush, hands down, with no equal, is unavailable.  It's the Parastat by Ernie Watts, discontinued sometime in the 70's I believe. http://www.vinylengine.com/images/model/watts_manual_parastat.jpg

I still have mine. It used to be my primary cleaning brush along with the original Discwasher (which was "invented" in Columbia MO, home of the U of MO), but now I only use it on the TT to pick up dust after I have vacuum cleaned a record on my Loricraft scrubbing with either the AI or Disc Doctor brushes. IMO, the AI & Disc Doctor are better scrubbing brushes when using a vacuum cleaner.

Laura

Laura